Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 08:02 PM

60 posts, read 288,582 times

Advertisements

Hi.

This forum has been helping me with all kinds of questions so I figured this one might not be left unanswered here either

I was planning on putting my then 10 month old and 22 month old in one of those daycare centers I had found and researched online, until I saw their facilities - ARGH!! In stripmalls, with barely any outdoor area!

So now I'm reconsidering - either a better place that I don't know about, or keeping them home with a nanny. (I work from home so it might be difficult for me to concentrate, but it's worth a shot).

So in my quest for a nanny, what is the general going rate around Issaquah? We're moving to the Highlands at the end of May.

Very grateful for ALL input on daycares!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 PM

522 posts, read 2,621,312 times
I do not have children but do know that when I lived in Issaquah, my neighbor was charged $12.50 per hour 9$500/weekly) for 2 kids. Her nanny cleaned up after the kids, fed them & bathed them when needed. HTH!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,790,008 times
When I lived in Issaquah, nannies were getting around $36K full time and they wanted benefits like paid vacation, health insurance, a car to use, and tuition reimbursement. There was a much greater demand for nannies than there was supply so they could ask for a lot.

My billable hours are erratic so I was afraid to commit to that much expense. I didn't like the thought of my baby in a center so our solution was a family home day care that became like a second family to us. We trusted them because they came so highly recommended from a good friend. It worked out very well.

I think working from home while a nanny and your children are there is really, really challenging. I tried the nanny option after we moved away from Seattle and it was stressful because I do a lot of telephone conversations with clients and the nanny had to work really hard to prevent my children from interrupting. Also, it bothered my children to know I was at home but not interacting with them. Maybe some children are better about it, though, than mine are!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,671,434 times
We have a nanny - we pay her only to entertain and take care of our one baby. We pay $125 per day (and 5 PTO days a year)

Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks! I do recognize that I will face the same challenges you did, mommy being upstairs and not playing... I just don't want to stick them in those centers so home is better than there. But I should probably do what you did, check out home day care providers too. Thanks for the note!!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
We have a nanny - we pay her only to entertain and take care of our one baby. We pay $125 per day (and 5 PTO days a year)

I never realized how lucky I was down here in SD - I pay my nanny $10/hr right now. Oy, oy...

Old 04-07-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
I do not have children but do know that when I lived in Issaquah, my neighbor was charged $12.50 per hour 9$500/weekly) for 2 kids. Her nanny cleaned up after the kids, fed them & bathed them when needed. HTH!

That's definitely more doable for me... and the extra clean-up help would be a plus - my nanny now does the laundry for the kids, prepares meals, and pick up their toys. Such a huge benefit over the centers though

Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 PM

305 posts, read 1,607,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I think working from home while a nanny and your children are there is really, really challenging. I tried the nanny option after we moved away from Seattle and it was stressful because I do a lot of telephone conversations with clients and the nanny had to work really hard to prevent my children from interrupting. Also, it bothered my children to know I was at home but not interacting with them. Maybe some children are better about it, though, than mine are!
As I nanny myself, I will tell you that it is REALLY hard to keep the kids quiet and away from Mom when they know she's there. Plus, if it's a new nanny who isn't fully comfortable with your family and disciplining your kids, it can be hard. I've had a few moms who always rushed downstairs the moment their child cried--and it takes away all crebility from the nanny, and shows the child that the nanny is not boss--"Mommy to the rescue."

I've seen it work really well, and I've seen it work really, really bad. If you think being at home will work for your family, give it a few trial runs before fully choosing this option. If it doesn't work, you can always look into renting yourself a small office outside of your home, or a home daycare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area