Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
The Macy's in downtown San Francisco is much better than the seattle area macys.
Yeah, it's almost like a completely different store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 11:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Union Square is one of the top shopping districts in the world. Different demographics, different clientele, different income levels. No comparison, really.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:21 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
This is not surprising. I recently moved to the Northgate area and visited the Northgate Mall a number of times during the month leading up to Christmas. Despite being the holiday season, the mall still didn’t generate much of a crowd. It was actually a pretty quiet shopping experience, unlike the UV which was cram packed with people during this past holiday season.

The revised development plans for the Northgate Mall property reflects its new major tenant: NHL Seattle. The Northgate Mall is basically going to be transformed into a mixed use district with a ton of office and hotel space built around the ice hockey center. I hope that Northgate does actually become a mixed use neighborhood with lively pedestrian activity, and not just an office park which would on occasion swell with NHL visitors.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:11 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
NHL visitors? The team will play in the renovated Key arena. This will be a practice facility.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Yep, the new Northgate NHL facility will be a practice facility for the new NHL team in 2021. But as I understand it, will also be a home for minor hockey leagues, as well as a magnet to attract those of all ages to the sport. Can't go wrong with that. It likely will also be a retail store for the new NHL team. Perhaps even a good stopoff destination for those coming down from Vancouver BC to see the Canucks take on the the Seattle (whatevers...)

As I posted earlier, the Macy's decision is not the end of the world as this mall won't decay like we have seen in many cities across the country. Instead, they are totally re-imaging the property with residential and perhaps some high-end retail plus hotel (s). My only complaint is this is planned as low-rise. I think mid-rise is more appropriate here what with the Interstate and Light Rail access.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:07 PM

416 posts, read 560,104 times
The Seattle area has to have the least amount of accessible big-name retail department stores in any major metro I have lived in. Still relatively new to the area so I don't know the reason - is it cultural? As in there's kind of a thrift store/libertarian streak here. Or is it that for so long it's been a sleepy, medium population metro? Whatever the reason, I'm not surprised stores are closing here fast.

Know how whenever a Wal-Mart shows up in an area, a lot of the surrounding small businesses dry up? Seattle is ground zero for the new boss, same as the old boss. Answer starts with an A and ends with an N.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:53 PM

4 posts, read 3,806 times
So, Simon wants to tear down 60% of the mall and replace it with apartments, office buildings, and a park. That sounds fine and dandy, but what about the most important part of a mall - SHOPPING? Or will it just no longer be a mall anymore?

Old 01-18-2019, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 3,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
The Seattle area has to have the least amount of accessible big-name retail department stores in any major metro I have lived in. Still relatively new to the area so I don't know the reason - is it cultural?
I think everybody would just rather go to Southcenter, Alderwood, or Bellevue Square over anywhere else, to be honest.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:51 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
The Seattle area has to have the least amount of accessible big-name retail department stores in any major metro I have lived in. Still relatively new to the area so I don't know the reason - is it cultural? As in there's kind of a thrift store/libertarian streak here. Or is it that for so long it's been a sleepy, medium population metro? Whatever the reason, I'm not surprised stores are closing here fast.

Know how whenever a Wal-Mart shows up in an area, a lot of the surrounding small businesses dry up? Seattle is ground zero for the new boss, same as the old boss. Answer starts with an A and ends with an N.
Seattle had the Bon Marche, Frederick & Nelson, Rhodes, and MacDougall & Southwick as "downtown" department stores. The Bon came out on top, after which it was bought by Macy's. Nordstrom's, which currently occupies the old F&N building, had its start as a shoe store. Sears, J.C. Penny, Kress, Woolworth's, Fred Meyer, K-Mart, and Target were all later imports.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:19 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
I don't think the Seattle area is lacking in big name retail. While Wal-Mart does not have any in-city locations, it does offer Super Centers all over the metro. As for department stores, no, there have been plenty over the years. What we are seeing today is a major shift from brick and mortar to on-line. However locally based Nordstrom (with 6 Seattle area locations not including Nordstrom Rack), had a big gain this past holiday season, where others have declined.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...uBG?li=BBnbfcL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area