Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 01:28 PM

8,154 posts, read 8,199,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
What does that mean? A vibrant culture?

I always hear that term. I don't know what it's supposed to mean.

What does a vibrant culture look like, as opposed to a non-vibrant culture?
To me it means that as a group they come together regularly, have community centers and houses of worship, make strong efforts to maintain their customs/festivals. Generally this exists, as it does in Seattle, when any group has the numbers/population to support it. Example, great Timkat (Epiphany) celebrations each year in the Seattle Ethiopian community: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ates-epiphany/. Chinese New Year parades in the ID: https://rove.me/to/seattle/chinese-new-year

Last edited by homesinseattle; 01-18-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 09:19 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,111,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
What's your point? There's more Chinese than Luxembourgers? China and India are the two largest countries in the world if you hadn't noticed...
My point is that diverse to me includes a diversity of nationalities, and the amount of people from those countries. I went to a naturalization ceremony in Overland Park, Kansas a few years ago. 500 people from 45 different countries. Literally, every continent except Antarctica. But overall, few would say Kansas is “diverse”. because the numbers just aren’t there.

Diversity is a vague term. But there are cities in the US that have dramatic diversity. New York City is one example. Huge populations from all parts of the globe live there. They get the Chinas and Indias, but also get everyone else, in significant numbers. Seattle, comparatively, is just average. Not a good or bad thing.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 AM

301 posts, read 308,818 times
i might be biased but, being an immigrant myself, diversity-wise I feel much more comfortable in Seattle than I did in NYC. People in my surroundings are immigrants from various parts of Europe (both Eastern and Western), Asia and US. The ones who are from US also came from various, often far away states, I can name very few people who are from Seattle. In NYC there were some immigrants, yes, but they were drowned by Americans who spent their entire life in NYC and literally never stepped outside of the city (and in turn their parents did the same, etc).

Old 01-19-2019, 09:53 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,176,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
i might be biased but, being an immigrant myself, diversity-wise I feel much more comfortable in Seattle than I did in NYC. People in my surroundings are immigrants from various parts of Europe (both Eastern and Western), Asia and US. The ones who are from US also came from various, often far away states, I can name very few people who are from Seattle. In NYC there were some immigrants, yes, but they were drowned by Americans who spent their entire life in NYC and literally never stepped outside of the city (and in turn their parents did the same, etc).
Haha!! There's so much truth to that statement.I grew up in NY. Moved away for a while and went back.
Its because they think that is the standard of life, the way life is is rite there where they grew up. Any other life style would be wrong to them.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:22 AM

590 posts, read 283,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
My point is that diverse to me includes a diversity of nationalities, and the amount of people from those countries. I went to a naturalization ceremony in Overland Park, Kansas a few years ago. 500 people from 45 different countries. Literally, every continent except Antarctica. But overall, few would say Kansas is “diverse”. because the numbers just aren’t there.

Diversity is a vague term. But there are cities in the US that have dramatic diversity. New York City is one example. Huge populations from all parts of the globe live there. They get the Chinas and Indias, but also get everyone else, in significant numbers. Seattle, comparatively, is just average. Not a good or bad thing.
Lol, you sound like the Judean People's Front guy from Monty Python's Life of Brian. "Apart from the Chinese, Indians, Vietnamese, Lao, Cambodians, Filipinos, Thai, Koreans, Japanese, Myanmarese, Nepalese, Ethiopians, Eritreans, Somalians, Mexicans, Eastern Europeans, and Western Europeans, where is all the diversity of nationalities?"

Old 01-20-2019, 02:46 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,111,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Lol, you sound like the Judean People's Front guy from Monty Python's Life of Brian. "Apart from the Chinese, Indians, Vietnamese, Lao, Cambodians, Filipinos, Thai, Koreans, Japanese, Myanmarese, Nepalese, Ethiopians, Eritreans, Somalians, Mexicans, Eastern Europeans, and Western Europeans, where is all the diversity of nationalities?"
I already said Seattle is diverse, but it’s very average on a global scale. Even on a national scale. Let me try to be nice. Have you ever been to New York City? Do you actually understand what true diversity means? Btw this is coming from a Seattle cheerleader. I absolutely love this city, but I still call a spade a spade when I see it.

ETA: And it’s Burmese, not “Myanmarese”.

Last edited by Bluefox; 01-20-2019 at 02:57 AM..

Old 01-20-2019, 03:49 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,466,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Latin America is Mexico - haven’t seen stats indicating additional statistically significant communities.
Due to the porous nature of immigration, you won't find a lot of stats on people who are generally trying to stay below the radar.

Nevertheless, I can personally attest to the sizable communities of Peruvians, Hondurans and Salvadoreans (fun fact, they generally are the ones working in kitchens in this area ... not Mexicans), Colombians, Brazilians, and so on. There are quite a few of those communities in this area.

I will note that one of the reasons why you do not see neighborhoods on the West Coast of certain communities the same way that you see them on the East Coast is that -- in general -- on the East Coast people tend to come en masse and are settled en masse. On the West Coast, certain populations have a history of that (see the Vietnamese and East African communities), but Spanish-speaking populations beyond the Mexican contingent tend to trickle in. And outside of a couple of communities (Puerto Ricans and Panamanians, in particular), the goal is to blend in and not be immediately apparent to the public ... especially if you don't have papers.

There are sizable communities of representing several Spanish speaking countries, and enough folks that there are not only Latino nights being held all over the place but Afro-Latinos have their own festival out here (last year it was held in Lynnwood).

Just wanted to rep the peeps out here, quietly diversifying the place.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:39 AM

8,154 posts, read 8,199,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Due to the porous nature of immigration, you won't find a lot of stats on people who are generally trying to stay below the radar.

Nevertheless, I can personally attest to the sizable communities of Peruvians, Hondurans and Salvadoreans (fun fact, they generally are the ones working in kitchens in this area ... not Mexicans), Colombians, Brazilians, and so on. There are quite a few of those communities in this area.

I will note that one of the reasons why you do not see neighborhoods on the West Coast of certain communities the same way that you see them on the East Coast is that -- in general -- on the East Coast people tend to come en masse and are settled en masse. On the West Coast, certain populations have a history of that (see the Vietnamese and East African communities), but Spanish-speaking populations beyond the Mexican contingent tend to trickle in. And outside of a couple of communities (Puerto Ricans and Panamanians, in particular), the goal is to blend in and not be immediately apparent to the public ... especially if you don't have papers.

There are sizable communities of representing several Spanish speaking countries, and enough folks that there are not only Latino nights being held all over the place but Afro-Latinos have their own festival out here (last year it was held in Lynnwood).

Just wanted to rep the peeps out here, quietly diversifying the place.
Great post!

Old 01-22-2019, 12:42 PM

5,676 posts, read 4,833,075 times
If you want to experience the diversity of the Seattle area, and the south sound in particular you should head over to DK Market in Renton.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D+...225125!5m1!1e4

Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 AM

8,745 posts, read 6,668,618 times
The Seattle metro gets about 2% of the nation's immigration with about 1% of the population. We're well above average. That narrows if you only count major cities of course.

Of course, even average would be well above median.

Seattle is definitely a second-tier destination, but that's still pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area