Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,163 times

Advertisements

(I get the "why" but there are some things for which a ruthless cost-saving model does not scale down to zero redundancies. Education is one of them.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 10:05 AM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
If you're open to it, I'd recommend Tacoma, specifically Hilltop, Downtown, McKinley, or the Lincoln District. It's commutable to Seattle (via train, bus, or car) and still feels urban, almost like an extension of Seattle. It is more diverse, and Hilltop specifically is Tacoma's black district. The quality of life is high, the homes are more affordable, and I think it has more of a neighborhood feel/ friendlier people. One thing to take into consideration is that the entire city (especially Hilltop) has been undergoing some major gentrification, which has displaced/ angered local residents. This goes the same for any neighborhood in Seattle. *Something to take into consideration*

https://www.movetotacoma.com/neighborhoods/hilltop/

Move to Tacoma – East Side
Not a bad idea Brad and I really like what's happening in Tacoma. This is a tough propositions though if your work is in Seattle and you want to be near cultural amenities and have good life/work balance. I still think the Columbia City idea would be the best overall choice.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:13 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Also if you ever feel like you are being priced out of Seattle the south sound has the most African Americans, it also happens to be one of the more affordable areas but it also means that usually crime is a bit higher and public education is of a lower standard.

City: Black | multiracial
Tukwila: 17.9% | 6.0%
SeaTac: 16.8% | 6.0%
Tacoma: 12.2% | 8.1%
Kent: 11.3% | 6.6%
Renton: 10.6% | 5.8%
Federal Way: 9.7% | 6.6%
Des Moines: 9.1% | 5.4%
Seattle: 7.9% | 5.1%

Here is also a racial map of the Seattle area.
[url]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Race_and_ethnicity_2010-_Seattle_%285560469372%29.png[/url]
Map of racial distribution in Seattle, 2010 U.S. Census. Each dot is 25 people: White (red), Black (blue), Asian (green), Hispanic (orange), or Other (yellow)
Great map... really defines what I love about my neighborhood.. the random, dense, but diverse cluster towards the edge of map (King Co). Also why I felt uncomfortable in N. Seattle neighborhoods.. except for right around UW it's pretty darn White.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:32 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,908,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Re schools, I agree completely with the point about rankings. My comment is unrelated to rankings though, rather to the point that individual Seattle schools currently offer only what large numbers of attending students demand. That is entirely different from test scores/rankings. For example, as far as I can tell calculus is not offered in any form at Rainier Beach while at Garfield a student has available to them calculus, honors calculus, AP calculus AB *and* AP calculus BC. An upper middle class family of any race presumably will want high level academics to be at least offered at their school.

To save money, Seattle Schools uses a just-in-time inventory model for classes and treats both students and teachers like widgets - I kid you not - in 0.2 increments.

At the same time, school choice has become nothing more than a mirage. The district has quietly stopped moving wait lists, so what is the point of pretending to offer choice in the first place? Thirty-five students who applied to Franklin last year were waitlisted and never admitted, despite enrollment there being well under capacity.
The District may have information on upcoming incoming classes from the middle schools that would push a high school over capacity without adding students from out of the attendance zones. If I were a parent who was denied a transfer under school choice, I would certainly want to hear the explanation.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:29 PM

524 posts, read 485,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Great map... really defines what I love about my neighborhood.. the random, dense, but diverse cluster towards the edge of map (King Co). Also why I felt uncomfortable in N. Seattle neighborhoods.. except for right around UW it's pretty darn White.
The area around Northgate is more diverse, but has a reputation for being sketch. 95% of the people I know in the city Seattle are either college students or recent college grads (not all of whom are White or Asian), so take my words with a grain of salt.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:10 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post
The area around Northgate is more diverse, but has a reputation for being sketch. 95% of the people I know in the city Seattle are either college students or recent college grads (not all of whom are White or Asian), so take my words with a grain of salt.
Well, for diversity in north Seattle, you can't beat Victory Heights, which has a variety of immigrant populations (mainly Muslim, because there's a mosque in the neighborhood), is a great nabe for kids, being quiet, and having a nice park for the kids, and is very walkable, i)the side that's within a few blocks of 15th NE). It is very NOT-sketchy. Mainly family-oriented. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods in all of Seattle. No homeless issues. I'm not sure, but I think the HS for that area is Roosevelt, which is considered one of Seattle's top 2 public high schools.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, for diversity in north Seattle, you can't beat Victory Heights, which has a variety of immigrant populations (mainly Muslim, because there's a mosque in the neighborhood), is a great nabe for kids, being quiet, and having a nice park for the kids, and is very walkable, i)the side that's within a few blocks of 15th NE). It is very NOT-sketchy. Mainly family-oriented. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods in all of Seattle. No homeless issues. I'm not sure, but I think the HS for that area is Roosevelt, which is considered one of Seattle's top 2 public high schools.
It's Nathan Hale, Ruth. You can see in the link the populations they serve. Lots of Filipinos and Ethiopians too, who are overwhelmingly Christian. Quite a few Vietnamese live up there too, I think it is a very underrated neighborhood. One of my favorite Ethiopian restaurants is there and a delicious Nepalese restaurant: https://halehs.seattleschools.org

Old 03-14-2019, 07:45 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
It's Nathan Hale, Ruth. You can see in the link the populations they serve. Lots of Filipinos and Ethiopians too, who are overwhelmingly Christian. Quite a few Vietnamese live up there too, I think it is a very underrated neighborhood. One of my favorite Ethiopian restaurants is there and a delicious Nepalese restaurant: https://halehs.seattleschools.org
Where are these two restaurants? Neither of them were there, when I lived there. There was a good Chinese restaurant, that changed hands a couple of times, in a 2nd floor space above a small shopping cluster down the street from the mosque, on N'gate Way. I hear from my Russian Orthodox friend, that a number of Ethiopians attend one of the Russian Orthodox Churches in town. I'll be game to try the Nepalese restaurant, next time I'm in the vicinity. Do they have good dumplings?

Old 03-14-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where are these two restaurants? Neither of them were there, when I lived there. There was a good Chinese restaurant, that changed hands a couple of times, in a 2nd floor space above a small shopping cluster down the street from the mosque, on N'gate Way. I hear from my Russian Orthodox friend, that a number of Ethiopians attend one of the Russian Orthodox Churches in town. I'll be game to try the Nepalese restaurant, next time I'm in the vicinity. Do they have good dumplings?
Mani's Himalayan. Yeah, the momos are super. I've been to Nepal, I'm picky. It's on Roosevelt in a little strip mall just south of 125th. Sweet couple: woman from Nepal, man from Bhutan. Lines out the door, here's the link: Mani’s Kitchen – Indian and Himalayan Cuisine

Enat Restaurant and Jebena Cafe (both Ethiopian) are quite close to each other, 115th (ish) St and 15th Ave NE. Both are good, I prefer Jebena by a whisker, cool family vibe: http://jebenacafe.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area