U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:38 PM

33 posts, read 82,422 times

Advertisements

My kid did a repost on earthquakes and tsunami's.. it was cool. we had to print up a map of areas affected by which fault lines. the seattle faultline causes only minor damage to water hit areas as alaska lines actaully hit the oregon coast and sparing most north of long beach.. it was very cool.

wherever you live you get a natural disaster...

I grew up in SF..i was in the 89 quake and lost everything..so the best thing to remember is be glad you get out ok.
my borthers earthquake kit was on his front porch in a bench locker thing.. took days to find it.. he lived in loma prieta.. most people keep theres in car trunks.. not good for those in soft structures who cars are squished...
so we picked the stand alone garage. mistake i made years ago was to keep the cars at the top shelf.. they all fell and some burst out all over the paper products on shelves one and two.
every earthquake is different like snowflakes. each one will do things different. the 2001 seattle quake was almost as strong as the 89 loma prieta i was in.. but the difference was it wasnt a hopper. the 89 quake would roll then hop roll then hop.. inflicting massive structural damage. 2001 kinda shook and roll.. i honestly was more afriad in the 2001 but i was wrong as things seams to roll right back into the spot they were in when they started.
we used to be taught to get under tables..i now know that that techinique is actually wrong yet they still teach it as lots of peopel were trappped in the marina district under tables with half crushed legs.. furniture isnt as strong as it was made when they did that.. the new safety is to get next to heavy piece of furniture and croach..leaving you a traingle of breathing room in which you wont die if you get entombed in it.

and now i will move to indiana where i get to hide from tornados in basements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:39 PM

601 posts, read 1,273,701 times
Like I said ..went through the 64 earth quake in Anch. We are now in Fl and
went through hurricanes Ivan and Dennis. Heading for Everett. How would a Tsunami affect Everett? I know they have a big marina there so it's on the water. I just can't get a break around here

Old 04-15-2008, 04:44 PM

5,601 posts, read 12,657,485 times
Here's a very comprehensive hazard profile report on Tsunamis for Washington State. It covers every place that there is a threat, including comments on Everett and Poulsbo. And more good maps for Seattle.

It's relatively current as it's dated November 2007.

Fast connection recommended as it's 33 pages in PDF but very interesting with a lot of maps and explanations.

http://www.emd.wa.gov/plans/documents/TsunamiNov2007Tab5.8.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-15-2008, 04:59 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,336,138 times
Nope - Giants fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Next you'll want to know the scores of Mariners games in advance.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,221,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Here's a very comprehensive hazard profile report on Tsunamis for Washington State. It covers every place that there is a threat, including comments on Everett and Poulsbo. And more good maps for Seattle.[/url]
Great info and maps, Scirocco. I saw Poulsbo on the list of towns at risk in Kitsap County, but no map of this area's inundation zones or (thankfully) that frighteningly descriptive "go directly to nearest high ground." Have you seen any predictability maps of this area? Also, any thoughts about how well an aerobed mattress would work as a flotation device?

Lynn

Old 04-15-2008, 06:15 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,552,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
... any thoughts about how well an aerobed mattress would work as a flotation device?
Ms. Ma'am, what are an aerobed mattress?? My Greek is as good as my Latin, and I get air-directed or air-influenced or operating on/by/because of air bed. What are that, Ms Ma'am?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:03 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,221,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Ms. Ma'am, what are an aerobed mattress?? My Greek is as good as my Latin, and I get air-directed or air-influenced or operating on/by/because of air bed. What are that, Ms Ma'am?
aerobed.com

Old 04-15-2008, 11:50 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,552,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
aerobed.com
Ahhhhh, ya blow it up! So you're right -- a floatation device!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:51 AM

14,401 posts, read 12,279,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Nope - Giants fan.
No more Barry. Bye-bye Pumpkinhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area