Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 07:10 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, they do. They live in Laurelhurst, Madrona, Shoreline (if you count that as Seattle), and a few scattere4d around other nooks and crannies of the city. There's a large estate tucked away in Victory Heights/Pinehurst, There might be a few left on Capitol Hill by volunteer park, and now some have moved to Alki in W Seattle, and built mansions on the beachfront.

I agree with homes to some extent; I never thought of Madison Park as being the rich part of town. There are plenty of modest homes there. It's probably been gentrifying beyond the few nice homes it had before, though, as more people discover it's a very nice part of the city. New high-end condos have gone in, etc.
Like i said before, they will own homes and maintain somewhat of a presence there, but the vast majority won’t reside there full or even part time. Seattle just isn’t that relevant to the super wealthy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 07:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, they do. They live in Laurelhurst, Madrona, Shoreline (if you count that as Seattle), and a few scattere4d around other nooks and crannies of the city. There's a large estate tucked away in Victory Heights/Pinehurst, There might be a few left on Capitol Hill by volunteer park, and now some have moved to Alki in W Seattle, and built mansions on the beachfront.

I agree with homes to some extent; I never thought of Madison Park as being the rich part of town. There are plenty of modest homes there. It's probably been gentrifying beyond the few nice homes it had before, though, as more people discover it's a very nice part of the city. New high-end condos have gone in, etc.
Broadmoor is very close to Madison Park, and it's swanky/exclusive, as close to old money as Seattle gets. They didn't let Bill Boeing into Broadmoor in the...1920's?, so he went and became one of the founders of The Highlands, just on the Shoreline side of the Seattle border.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:45 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Like i said before, they will own homes and maintain somewhat of a presence there, but the vast majority won’t reside there full or even part time. Seattle just isn’t that relevant to the super wealthy
I don't think I'd give a rat's batooty if super rich people liked living in Seattle or not. Let them move in droves ta Los Angeles or New York City, man. They'll be well-cared for there, huh.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:51 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I don't think I'd give a rat's batooty if super rich people liked living in Seattle or not. Let them move in droves ta Los Angeles or New York City, man. They'll be well-cared for there, huh.
Sounds like cope

Old 08-18-2019, 09:00 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
I heard that Bill Gates (as of perhaps 5 years ago) still drove a 1985 Toyota Corolla, or harsh words to that effect. This was told to us who watched the interview with Bill Gates on TV. And guess where they dined during part of that interview? None other than Dick's Drive-In at the foot of Queen Anne Hill. That's Seattle speed.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I heard that Bill Gates (as of perhaps 5 years ago) still drove a 1985 Toyota Corolla, or harsh words to that effect. This was told to us who watched the interview with Bill Gates on TV. And guess where they dined during part of that interview? None other than Dick's Drive-In at the foot of Queen Anne Hill. That's Seattle speed.
...And then there was that Bill Gates story of fifteen or twenty years ago, where he stopped at the Burgermaster drive thru near 520 in Bellevue , reached for his wallet to pay, and ..oops!
He told the server that forgot his wallet at work, that he was Bill Gates, was good for it, and would be back in twenty minutes.
The server said no and called for the manager, who recognized Gates, and found the whole thing amusing.
About what he drives, I read an article that talked about his collection of Porsches. Maybe he does drive an 85 Corolla, but only until he can afford something a little newer

Old 08-28-2019, 12:20 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,275 times
I just got scammed on for a 1 bedroom in Madison Park. $1350 a month 1/2 block from the water. Dam craigslist!!

Old 08-28-2019, 11:58 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I just got scammed on for a 1 bedroom in Madison Park. $1350 a month 1/2 block from the water. Dam craigslist!!

Oh willys, that sucks, hope you didn't lose money. If it sounds too good to be true.....

Old 08-28-2019, 02:36 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Oh willys, that sucks, hope you didn't lose money. If it sounds too good to be true.....
No money was lost, I've seen the scam 5-6X. But when you first see the place, its location, and the terms and conditions you can get really excited! So I enquired, and when they replied I was let down because I've seen this so many times before. People are real jackasses.

Back to the original topic.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:51 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
There are indeed pockets of wealth in Seattle and surrounding areas. And Laurelhurst, Madison Park, and Broadmoor are just the tip of the iceburg. And yes the 1% do indeed spend a lot of time in Seattle. Gates and Bezos both have their main homes in basically the same neighborhood, Medina just east of Lake Washington.

Add on Magnolia overlooking Puget Sound. Add on Windermere (yeah same name as the real estate company), just north of Laurelhurst. Add on parts of eastern View Ridge, and Hawthorne Hills. Just outside the city to the northwest lies a private community known as The Highlands, pretty unknown to most because you can't just drive into it. However, this is the traditional exclusive neighborhood for the rich in the area. On the eastside, the previously mentioned Medina is one of the highest income zip codes in the United States. Mercer Island also ranks right up there, and was home to the late owner of the Seahawks, and Microsoft billionaire, Paul Allen.

The 1% still occupy the Seattle area. There are dozens of more examples, but I will leave it with just the big ones.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-28-2019 at 11:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area