U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2019, 11:21 AM
 
Location: SF, CA
1,632 posts, read 777,480 times
Reputation: 2602

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Couldn't access the article. What does it say?
Sort of what the sub-headline implies.... "yes, we're a bit reserved here in Seattle,
but if you think there's a freeze, it's your own fault."

The comments are more interesting than the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2019, 11:54 AM
Status: "Lock Him Up" (set 23 days ago)
 
747 posts, read 372,379 times
Reputation: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Sort of what the sub-headline implies.... "yes, we're a bit reserved here in Seattle,
but if you think there's a freeze, it's your own fault."

The comments are more interesting than the article.
Haven't lived in or heard of any other city that had this stigma so publicly attached to it though. It's definitely a thing IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,233 posts, read 421,520 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Haven't lived in or heard of any other city that had this stigma so publicly attached to it though. It's definitely a thing IMHO.

Oh no doubt it is! My entire family lives down in Bend Oregon and we just went for a visit last week. People actually make eye contact, smile and engage with others down there. Must admit, after living in Seattle for 30 years, I am used to the Freeze and when I go elsewhere where people are chatty it catches me off guard LOL. I don't mind the social interactions and actually find it rather nice but I'm certainly not used to it.


The reasons for the Freeze have been beaten to death. But fact remains, Seattle is and will always be an Introverts Disneyland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Alamogordo, NM
6,258 posts, read 6,078,626 times
Reputation: 4255
The reasons for the Freeze have been beaten to death. But fact remains, Seattle is and will always be an Introverts Disneyland.


One with one helluva NFL football team and one helluva NBA basketball team, too. At one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2019, 02:26 AM
Status: "Ready my travelin' shoes" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: SEE-ADDLE
48 posts, read 27,781 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not sure I understand the bolded picture. Why would coworkers acknowledge each other passing in the hall, when they co-work with each other all day? Do you mean with a nod, or brief eye contact, or actually greeting each other?
Imagine a very, very long hallway where you are walking in one direction, and a person walking towards you passes without acknowledgement. Typically, upon seeing another person, the cell phone comes out. In my workplace, we don't necessarily "co-work with each other all day" due to varying schedules and meetings. So, it's especially off-putting when in a common area (company kitchen, conference room) a colleague walks in and proceeds as though no one else is present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2019, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Seattle
1,233 posts, read 421,520 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeandNatureWalks View Post
Imagine a very, very long hallway where you are walking in one direction, and a person walking towards you passes without acknowledgement. Typically, upon seeing another person, the cell phone comes out. In my workplace, we don't necessarily "co-work with each other all day" due to varying schedules and meetings. So, it's especially off-putting when in a common area (company kitchen, conference room) a colleague walks in and proceeds as though no one else is present.

I have the same scenario play out. I work downtown and several offices share the same long hallway. You pass the same 20 or so people everyday and it's very rare to get any eye contact much less a smile. Pretty much standard operating procedure for Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2019, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Seattle
6,170 posts, read 4,901,710 times
Reputation: 3731
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I have the same scenario play out. I work downtown and several offices share the same long hallway. You pass the same 20 or so people everyday and it's very rare to get any eye contact much less a smile. Pretty much standard operating procedure for Seattle.
And yet, my office at Green Lake (with about 20 employees) is filled with happy people who talk constantly, hug, hook up for lunch, happy hour, coffee, all kinds of things. Great vibe. Is it smaller versus larger offices, tech versus non tech? Are happy and communicative people drawn to happy settings? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2019, 07:36 PM
 
921 posts, read 1,846,071 times
Reputation: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I have the same scenario play out. I work downtown and several offices share the same long hallway. You pass the same 20 or so people everyday and it's very rare to get any eye contact much less a smile. Pretty much standard operating procedure for Seattle.
It's probably a tech thing, I bet those hallways are tech companies. Don't have this problem in the health care field.

Seattle is the zombie apocalypse of drug addicts and tech workers, both living in their own virtual worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2019, 08:36 PM
 
Location: SF, CA
1,632 posts, read 777,480 times
Reputation: 2602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
It's probably a tech thing, I bet those hallways are tech companies. Don't have this problem in the health care field.

Seattle is the zombie apocalypse of drug addicts and tech workers, both living in their own virtual worlds.
Hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2019, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,233 posts, read 421,520 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
It's probably a tech thing, I bet those hallways are tech companies. Don't have this problem in the health care field.

Seattle is the zombie apocalypse of drug addicts and tech workers, both living in their own virtual worlds.
Techies and young hipsters that work in clothes merchandising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 PM.

¬© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top