U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 10:48 PM

6,205 posts, read 4,120,507 times

Advertisements

The Seattle freeze is so 2010. That is how long I have been reading about it and like others, I am tired of it.

Seattle may have more introverts, perhaps more shy people, but to say they "freeze others out" is a bit of a stretch.

But instead of complaining so much about it just move away already. Complaining won't change much of anything. Instead try to be understanding, accepting, and warm to some who many not share your extrovert behavior. Perhaps you might make some new best friends, or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 06:56 AM

1,673 posts, read 666,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Seattle is the zombie apocalypse of drug addicts and tech workers, both living in their own virtual worlds.
That was brilliant.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:14 PM

6,258 posts, read 6,078,626 times
Seattle is the zombie apocalypse of drug addicts and tech workers, both living in their own virtual worlds.

Cities have people living in them that are from there and know the place like the back of their hand. But they also have truckloads of people that are living there now that are from other cities. Sometimes they're from cities in foreign nations. There's no way that one good-sized city like Seattle has people that don't love other people, places or things. Or that don't love animals.

I am from there and I remember lots of drug-crazed people walking into buildings and in to busy streets. Lots of alcohol and drug-filled people. Lots of selfish people. Lots and lots and lots of sports-crazed people for sure (oh, I wouldn't be one of them, would I? ), but, I remember a lot of love going around in Seattle.

Lots of love. Lots of nerds, for sure. But plenty of people who care about how they treat other people and animals. A lot of the Seattle Freeze is caused by the people complaining about the Seattle Freeze.

I met my beautiful wife in Edmonds, just 15 miles north of Seattle. If you can't meet a girl from Seattle, meet one from another city living in Seattle now! Hey - it works. It really-really-really works!!!!

Old 10-12-2019, 12:08 PM

34 posts, read 9,348 times
I met some incredible people in Seattle, really world-class citizens who made me question everything negative I've ever thought about the region, and I've also been randomly shoved by girls my age, spit on, yelled at, mocked inside of a becu bank, jumped by multiple homeless people, had a knife pulled on me, and had multiple people pull out mace and look at me suspiciously while walking. It's...different. But I won't complain. I'll move. There are a few really great people out here though.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:42 PM

621 posts, read 673,430 times
I moved to Seattle in 1977 and this was a big topic of conversation way back then between us transplants.

No one actually knows what the core issue is but there's been plenty of theories through the years, including the aboriginal Scandinavian-dominant chilliness, the mass migration of non-speaking foreigners, tech introverts - the list goes on and on.

Since it's always been this way, it's really none of those things and, besides, I worked for Microsoft for a while and many of the newcomers were freaked out about it as well! Their friends came, primarily, from their project teams and common cultural-community connections. Otherwise, many complained about how chilly and unfriendly the 'outside' was compared to where they came from...

My own theory is simply lack of sunshine. I can't tell you why this affects social skills/openness but the minute I moved down to California (after 40+ years in Seattle) I noticed a massive difference in the way people interact on a day-to-day basis. I found the open, warm vibe almost overwhelming at first. Where I now live, interesting conversations flow in almost every setting, smiles, eye contact, gestures of friendship and neighborliness come easily and often. Chatting it up with people you don't know is an everyday thing and not considered weird or unusual.

I'm not saying you can't make friends in Seattle or that people aren't decent, but the vibe does not fare particularly well among strangers and, because of this, it can take a good long while to find those people who are willing to break out of that shell and connect in a meaningful way.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:17 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,329,905 times
^I think sunshine, or lack there of, is a HUGE reason seattleites are so unfriendly and generally pissed off and boiling angry on the inside. It also negatively affects hormone levels and overall immune system health, which can also explain in part why everyone in Seattle is constantly sick and why there’s such a lack of dimorphism amongst the locals (men looking and acting feminine and women looking and acting masculine)

Old 10-13-2019, 05:45 PM

6,170 posts, read 4,901,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
^I think sunshine, or lack there of, is a HUGE reason seattleites are so unfriendly and generally pissed off and boiling angry on the inside. It also negatively affects hormone levels and overall immune system health, which can also explain in part why everyone in Seattle is constantly sick and why there’s such a lack of dimorphism amongst the locals (men looking and acting feminine and women looking and acting masculine)
Wow, I don't know this world you speak of. Here's one strongly heterosexual guy who thinks Seattle women are often really beautiful, natural, athletic and above all, strong in their womanhood. What's wrong with that? I go back to my original home town of Miami and the women seem very shallow and coated with makeup, yuch.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:38 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,329,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Wow, I don't know this world you speak of. Here's one strongly heterosexual guy who thinks Seattle women are often really beautiful, natural, athletic and above all, strong in their womanhood. What's wrong with that? I go back to my original home town of Miami and the women seem very shallow and coated with makeup, yuch.
Natural is code word for ugly in SoCal

And a lot of native Seattle women sure are natural, most of the attractive ones are transplants

Old 10-13-2019, 06:41 PM

733 posts, read 1,243,900 times
I don't get it. The only people that I run into that are miserable and angry are people that are miserable to begin with and don't want to live in the Seattle area. All of my immediate neighbors are all born and raised here and are friendly/welcoming enough and willing to help in a pinch. All of the people born and raised here that we have met through work/going out to shows/playing music have all been awesome. My wife and I are super shy and have made some really great friends since moving to the area 4 years ago. Many more than we made living in sunny Hawaii for 12 years. Sure not everybody is friendly but it's like that everywhere. Miserable people exist unfortunately. Live where you want to live, get outside, smile and enjoy life. It's short.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:47 PM

1,703 posts, read 1,095,362 times
I see gorgeous women in Seattle left and right and I am not a fan of life in Seattle for the most part.

Most of them are shocked a guy is willing to make an effort to court them around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or