U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 11:47 PM

1,358 posts, read 1,941,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
Hello all,

My spouse and I are 2 nurse practitioners, and we'd really like some advice. We are interested in making the move to your city but don't want to come as ignorant people. We'd like to be helpful, good members of it. I feel like being well informed is one way to be a productive member. Everyone knows that Seattle is suffering regarding a surge in homelessness, drug use, and inattention from the SCC/no one really has a perfect fix type of thing. We do not plan on living in Seattle proper however and wonder how bad the issues spread to neighboring communities. Say, Redmond, Shoreline, Kirkland, Lynnwood, Kenmore... Do you see as many tarps, tents, needles, aggressive homeless, trash heaps in parks, etc? What do you feel the 10-year future looks like for Seattle? 20?

I know this is a heated subject, and sorry if I stepped on any toes, I am trying to learn as much as I can.
I would not recommend moving here.

There are a lot of reasons why, but it basically boils down to the fact that the issues creating the homelessness are (a) varied, (b) expensive, and (c) not gonna change in 20 years, full stop.

So if you are banking on Seattle to change significantly on this issue in 20 years, don't move here because that's not in the cards. If wealth was all it took to "clean up the streets", it would have been done by now.

https://www.knkx.org/post/hoovervill...y-homelessness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_Seattle

https://www.kuow.org/stories/here-s-...omeless-trends
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 02:53 AM

874 posts, read 332,007 times
I love Seattle since I have deep roots here and all my family is still here, but its not the place that many will sell it to be... Often, many will put on the best face of the city and city life in the Seattle area.

Seattle still has many pluses, but the negatives are starting to catch up... And catching up fast.

Before moving here, I'd spend at least 2-3 weeks here in January and another 2-3 weeks in July/August to get a good feel of the area BEFORE making the move. By doing this, you'll see both the bad and good... Weather wise.

Seriously, not too many people spend much time in the downtown areas, unless they live/work there.

The homeless/drug issue is very real and only getting worse, as well as property crime, which is still on the rise since Seattle Police are turning a blind eye to it... You're lucky if they even take a crime report... You basically have to shame them into doing one. A friend have her car broken into, just north of the Pike Place Market and after waiting almost two hours, a cop finally showed up and asked her what does she want him to do about it.

To get an ideal of downtown criminal activity watch YouTube's "Man Goes on Rampage at Seattle Target." Yes, it a little extreme, but its the direction the city is heading.

I lived in NYC in the late 80s to 2000 and I saw first hand what a strong Mayor/City Council and a pro-active Police Force/Justice System can do once the entire city has finally had enough of the chaos. I'm hoping that the people and leadership in Seattle will finally wake up and do what is needed to get the city back under control, but the current Mayor/City Council will never-ever do what is necessary.

There are plenty of areas around Seattle that are still nice... I prefer areas at are southeast of Seattle, but a few of my family members live both North and east of Seattle and they're happy there.

Again, visit the Seattle area for several weeks, if possible and come to your own conclusions AND Good Luck!!

...Sorry, if I sound a little too negative, but just know what you're getting into before committing to a move here.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:49 AM

376 posts, read 169,988 times
Your locations to live a varied. I'm not sure where going to work but I'm guessing a Seattle hospital. You should focus on your commute more than the homeless.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,378,289 times
Quote:
I'm trying to get my questions answered... not start a "what do we do with the homeless" thread..
Your question has been answered. You're unlikely to see much visible homelessness in most suburban communities in the Puget Sound region. (There's plenty of invisible homelessness all over, of course, including in seemingly affluent and rural areas too.)

As for some perceived failure of will or inadequate policy response on the part of the Seattle city council, I'd suggest you do some reading on local government legal powers in Washington State (RCW Titles 35 and 36 to start) and maybe have a glance at Washington's involuntary detention statute.

Maybe also look up "habeas corpus" and the Fourth and Fifth Amendments to the US Constitution while you're at it.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:23 PM

474 posts, read 279,908 times
Quote:
Hello all,

My spouse and I are 2 nurse practitioners, and we'd really like some advice. We are interested in making the move to your city but don't want to come as ignorant people. We'd like to be helpful, good members of it. I feel like being well informed is one way to be a productive member. Everyone knows that Seattle is suffering regarding a surge in homelessness, drug use, and inattention from the SCC/no one really has a perfect fix type of thing. We do not plan on living in Seattle proper however and wonder how bad the issues spread to neighboring communities. Say, Redmond, Shoreline, Kirkland, Lynnwood, Kenmore... Do you see as many tarps, tents, needles, aggressive homeless, trash heaps in parks, etc? What do you feel the 10-year future looks like for Seattle? 20?

I know this is a heated subject, and sorry if I stepped on any toes, I am trying to learn as much as I can.
If you aren't in Seattle proper, you should be fine. Any well-to-do community (besides Seattle) keeps a handle on these issues.

I live in Seattle (Capitol Hill) and work downtown (3rd Ave) and you wouldn't want to be in either of those spots if you can't handle seeing people having mental health crises on the street or shooting up drugs.

10 year future for Seattle - I'd say it's pretty good, though the city itself will probably get more expensive and have more homeless/junkie street people problems. The city attorney doesn't want to "criminalize homelessness" so shoplifting, theft, fencing stolen good, drug dealing and anything short of violence doesn't get prosecuted. The word has spread, and downtown (especially 3rd) reflects that. I'm bullish on the suburbs. It's really too bad - Seattle really was a nice city, but it's become crowded and frankly dirty the last 10 years or so.

I would recommend the suburbs; Redmond and Bellevue are developing quite nicely.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:28 PM

474 posts, read 279,908 times
Quote:
What's the Wow for?
Inattention from the Seattle City Council meaning they aren't doing much to resolve the issue, and it seems from reading a lot of Seattlites' concerns, they seem to be making things worse.
We are considering Portland, but they have the same issues, Sacramento but taxes make us wary due to our "higher income", and Austin, but we aren't sure we wanna move from one hot area to another hot area. We looked into Denver but the cost of living is so high and it doesn't seem any nicer there than Seattle. Our friend is trying to encourage us to look into Vancouver WA... I've only explored it on google street view, and other than the newly built waterfront stuff, it doesn't look that desirable. Though his argument is being close to portland for everything.
FYI - Portland has most of the same problems as Seattle with homeless and drug addicts. And Denver is cheaper than Seattle. Vancouver, WA might work.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:16 PM

6,158 posts, read 4,891,988 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Take a peek at Edmonds if it's in your budget, nice community. I agree with the traffic/commuting comment, that will be one of your most important decisions. If you can give us a sense of where you might work and your housing budget, we can probably come up with some good suggestions. And yes, if you can afford north of $1 mil, you can get in peaceful neighborhood in Seattle that would make you really happy. Expensive? Yes, but half price compared to San Fran .

Old 10-08-2019, 01:51 PM

1,671 posts, read 772,129 times
The immediate surrounding cities have been sheltered from the homelessness issue. Probably various factors but I am guessing the individual police departments take a difference stance on homelessness outside of Seattle, just a guess. Eventually I imagine the homelessness issue spreading, it has to. More homeless folks move into Seattle, Seattle gets crowded, there is only certain amount of prime homeless real estate (busy intersections to collect money, places to camp etc).

Not sure how and who will be the first among the homeless to venture out, but they will someday. Also as more of the surrounding cities adopt Seattle politics, those cities will be more open to homelessness.

All this is just speculation on my part. Who knows.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:33 PM

2,314 posts, read 490,180 times
In Bellevue you see the occasional homeless person begging at a freeway exit, but otherwise they are relatively uncommon. The tent communities seem to be concentrated in Seattle, particularly on marginal land along the sides of freeways and such. It's a bit of a shock when you first go there, since, to my recollection, they only appeared en masse a few years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_Seattle

Old 10-08-2019, 02:52 PM

921 posts, read 1,845,220 times
It's all about adequate policing. Seattle doesn't have it, the burbs like Bellevue do.

The SCC would like you to believe that the only solution is hundreds of millions of more dollars annually in public housing and addiction programs. We already spend $100k per homeless person per year in Seattle. It's fargging ridiculous! The reality is that you just need to enforce existing laws and actually prosecute when you arrest them for property crimes and loitering. This is purely a problem of extreme left policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area