U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2019, 07:17 PM

2,314 posts, read 490,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
It's all about adequate policing. Seattle doesn't have it, the burbs like Bellevue do.

The SCC would like you to believe that the only solution is hundreds of millions of more dollars annually in public housing and addiction programs. We already spend $100k per homeless person per year in Seattle. It's fargging ridiculous! The reality is that you just need to enforce existing laws and actually prosecute when you arrest them for property crimes and loitering. This is purely a problem of extreme left policies.
Yes you have to suspect that there are sociological factors at work: the more accommodating a city is to the homeless, the more likely they are to migrate to that locale, further exacerbating the problem. Ideally the homeless would be spread peanut-butter style across many urban communities, so the existing social structures can support them. But I don't see that happening any time soon. Seattle is likely stuck with this situation for the next decade or two.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 07:43 PM

376 posts, read 299,378 times
Seattle and the surrounding area (and Portland) have a much higher ost of living than Denver. Give Denver another look.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:19 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,592,210 times
Check out The Highlands. It's near Shoreline. It has a HUGE STEEL GATE to keep the riff-raff out. Anywhere else is hit 'n miss.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:15 PM

7,157 posts, read 9,264,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Check out The Highlands. It's near Shoreline. It has a HUGE STEEL GATE to keep the riff-raff out. Anywhere else is hit 'n miss.
Not everybody can buy a house there. You have to be referred by a neighbor.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:46 AM

874 posts, read 332,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Ha!!! Now that funny!! I bet most everybody that live inside of that "HUGE STEEL GATE" to keep the riff-raff out are against building a "HUGE STEEL GATE" on the U.S. Southern border.

Sorry for going there!!

I agree that lots of local communities outside of Seattle are hit and misses. Before buying my house in Auburn, the Lakeland Hills/Lake Tapps area, I made it a point to research the area AND more important, drive through the area at different hours of the day and evenings, to include the weekends. This way, you can see what you're getting into BEFORE locking yourself down. That's why I feel that it's a good ideal to spend 2-3 weeks in the Seattle first. By doing this, you can start your homework on where to live and if it's really a good fit.

The Seattle area has its own issues, but what major West Coast city doesn't? I do feel that Seattle area still has plenty to offer and to enjoy!! At most times, I feel that there are positives than negatives here.

Don't worry too much about the rain and grayish days... You'll get use to them in a little.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:03 AM

6,256 posts, read 6,070,082 times
Don't worry too much about the rain and grayish days... You'll get use to them in a little.

A couple just moved in to their house about a Jay Buhner throw from ours in Alamogordo, NM, and they moved here from Olympia, WA. I mentioned the desert weather here and what'd'ya think about it compared to the terrarium weather in western Washington. His response? I love the rainy weather! And he moved to the desert.

One can not only get used to grey and rainy weather but they can grow to like it and...maybe even...love it!

Old 10-09-2019, 04:12 PM

330 posts, read 217,625 times
Homelessness and its more visible problems (tents on sidewalks, needles and crap, etc.) are an ongoing and increasing problem throughout the I-5 corridor, from San Diego to Bellingham, as well as points west (e.g. San Francisco.)

Yes, there's homelessness everywhere, but it's worse on the west coast than in most places in the US.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:47 AM

874 posts, read 332,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
Homelessness and its more visible problems (tents on sidewalks, needles and crap, etc.) are an ongoing and increasing problem throughout the I-5 corridor, from San Diego to Bellingham, as well as points west (e.g. San Francisco.)

Yes, there's homelessness everywhere, but it's worse on the west coast than in most places in the US.
So very true. If I was a drug addicted homeless person, I’d come to Seattle since I can steal without any worries of being arrested. And if by some fluke of super - SUPER bad luck, be arrested by Seattle PD, I know that I’ll be released within 72 hours from the King County Jail... Within that 72 hour period, I would receive free emergency medical/dental care... When you’re homeless, everything is an emergency, especially when it’s free!! Three meals a day, cable TV, a place to shower/shave and sleep.

This is basically the city’s official policy relating to the homeless criminal population and they’re shocked that property crimes has now skyrocketed... With several downtown business already closing their doors due to the beyond crazy shoplifting loses. Also, you can add The Bon/Macy to this list since they will be closing their doors for good within the next few months, I would bet that Target will be the next major/national business to shut down their downtown operations.

Yes, there are other reasons/issues linked to many businesses closing down, like the ever increasing costs of doing business in downtown Seattle. Nordstrom will be the last business to fall since they’re still doing pretty good at this point.

I still love Seattle, but it’s beyond stupid that a career thief/criminal, caught in the act of shoplifting by the store owners/employees or their hired security, can be sued for “violating” the thief’s rights. Even if he/she is stopped while fleeing the business with stolen goods... He/she may not get that “million dollar” settlement, but will most likely walk away with $10Ks since the insurance companies know that it will cost more to fight this in court. And the homeless knows this too!! Yes, it’s cheaper to let that person steal that $100 jersey and walk away without doing anything, but when you’re losing 5 to 10 jerseys a day, 7 days a week, you’ll find yourself in the red real soon, especially if you’re a small business owner.

Last edited by bergun; 10-10-2019 at 04:16 AM..

Old 10-10-2019, 04:15 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,204,444 times
My ex is an NP, and works in the ER in the area. They deal with all kinds of homeless and their issues they bring with them to the ER, the typical overdose issues, drunk out of their minds or high and reek of meth or from paint snuffing, plus violence, lice, crabs, MRSA, and so on. And as bergun said, they can't refuse them service and they won't pay anything so the hospital eats the bill while it's staff is subject to a lot of risk. Add to this the areas high cost of housing, and I wouldn't want to move here as an NP when you could work pretty much anywhere.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:53 PM

416 posts, read 103,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
Hello all,

My spouse and I are 2 nurse practitioners, and we'd really like some advice. We are interested in making the move to your city but don't want to come as ignorant people. We'd like to be helpful, good members of it. I feel like being well informed is one way to be a productive member. Everyone knows that Seattle is suffering regarding a surge in homelessness, drug use, and inattention from the SCC/no one really has a perfect fix type of thing. We do not plan on living in Seattle proper however and wonder how bad the issues spread to neighboring communities. Say, Redmond, Shoreline, Kirkland, Lynnwood, Kenmore... Do you see as many tarps, tents, needles, aggressive homeless, trash heaps in parks, etc? What do you feel the 10-year future looks like for Seattle? 20?

I know this is a heated subject, and sorry if I stepped on any toes, I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Go on Google Earth and look at those cities and see what they are like.

I came here 28 years ago as a homeless person, in looking at the places I used to go downtown, they look about the same.

People talk about that KOMO news documentary, the areas they feature (Dearborn Ave, the freeways there) have always had campers, I believe that documentary was kind of slanted...

Use the street cam function, it's the next best thing to being there.

Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area