U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Yeah I wouldn't move to Portland if I were you.
Why do you say that? What can you tell me about Portland.

---

I would like to take this time to thank you for all for your insightful responses. This info will prove really valuable as I move forward with my relocation. From what I can tell Seattle is a really unique city and seems like racist attitudes are not pervasive. Couple of things I wanted to address is the theme of ethnic diversity. I actually do not weigh this factor much in my decision. The reason is that I live in one of the most ethnically diverse places you can find, SoCal, and I have increasingly felt discriminated mainly through micro aggressions. I have never felt at home here. So from personal experience ethnic diversity does not automatically mean social equality or great race relations. What is important in my estimation is that the attitudes held by the majority of people toward individuals of color are positive or at the very least unbiased. It actually has always been my dream to live in a place like that. Now I have the economical means to venture out and I would like to find it in the US where I was born. So I'm happy to have found a place that has the potential to end my search.

Last edited by leathertrampex; 10-17-2019 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 05:06 PM

6,159 posts, read 4,891,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leathertrampex View Post
Why do you say that? What can you tell me about Portland.

---

I would like to take this time to thank you for all for your insightful responses. This info will prove really valuable as I move forward with my relocation. From what I can tell Seattle is a really unique city and seems like racist attitudes are not pervasive. Couple of things I wanted to address is the theme of ethnic diversity. I actually do not weigh this factor much in my decision. The reason is that I live in one of the most ethnically diverse places you can find, SoCal, and I have increasingly felt discriminated mainly through micro aggressions. I have never felt at home here. So from personal experience ethnic diversity does not automatically mean social equality or great race relations. What is important in my estimation is that the attitudes held by the majority of people toward individuals of color are positive or at the very least unbiased. It actually has always been my dream to live in a place like that. Now I have the economical means to venture out and I would like to find it in the US where I was born. So I'm happy to have found a place that has the potential to end my search.

You're welcome. Keep the dream alive!

Old 10-20-2019, 05:49 PM

11 posts, read 4,503 times
Default Wow. If you, 'metalhead' think Seattle is a Sh*thole, you are so naive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlhdtodd View Post
Seattle is a socially progressive ****hole of a city run by morons.
1) you reinforce the stereotype that metalheads are fools with ****-talk like that

2) Seattle is far from perfect and is suffering big growing pains and, yes, some mismanagement on some issues right now. However, you've barely been anywhere if you think it's a dump. Seattle, by most metrics is one of the very best citieds in the world. It is relatively clean, safe, friendly, respectful, cosmopolitan, globally connected and a major international player, full of art, culture, great & healthy foods, access to education and public transport, socially and politically open, diverse, open-minded towqard progress, innovative and blessed with crisp, clean ocean and mountain air. It's near full-employment and there is the ability to better oneself by moving to additional job opportunities. The poverty rate isn't particularly high but mobility rates are. Almost anyone would agree, Seattle shines, inspite of urgent issues that need tending to.

Does Seattle have affordability and homelessness crises? Absolutely. Is there a Seattle Freeze? Yup.

Is there hypocrisy, graffiti, litter and a lack of acceptable public restrooms? Yes, but no worse than many big cities.

Seattle can and needs to do better. We are a city that leads and is falling down in some ways. That does not make this place the hole you ignorantly slam it for being. And, maybe you don't realize that without an income tax, Seattle loses some independence to raise and spend $ like other big cites that try to actually take of their citizens do. Not making excuses but that is a reality.

You sound like a fool with temper-tantrum false claims like that. Indeed, you're entitled to your opinions but they are quite far from the facts. Reminds me of an Orange lying-guy in DC, actually. ;-)

Old 10-20-2019, 06:24 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,327,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X.G. View Post
1) you reinforce the stereotype that metalheads are fools with ****-talk like that

2) Seattle is far from perfect and is suffering big growing pains and, yes, some mismanagement on some issues right now. However, you've barely been anywhere if you think it's a dump. Seattle, by most metrics is one of the very best citieds in the world. It is relatively clean, safe, friendly, respectful, cosmopolitan, globally connected and a major international player, full of art, culture, great & healthy foods, access to education and public transport, socially and politically open, diverse, open-minded towqard progress, innovative and blessed with crisp, clean ocean and mountain air. It's near full-employment and there is the ability to better oneself by moving to additional job opportunities. The poverty rate isn't particularly high but mobility rates are. Almost anyone would agree, Seattle shines, inspite of urgent issues that need tending to.

Does Seattle have affordability and homelessness crises? Absolutely. Is there a Seattle Freeze? Yup.

Is there hypocrisy, graffiti, litter and a lack of acceptable public restrooms? Yes, but no worse than many big cities.

Seattle can and needs to do better. We are a city that leads and is falling down in some ways. That does not make this place the hole you ignorantly slam it for being. And, maybe you don't realize that without an income tax, Seattle loses some independence to raise and spend $ like other big cites that try to actually take of their citizens do. Not making excuses but that is a reality.

You sound like a fool with temper-tantrum false claims like that. Indeed, you're entitled to your opinions but they are quite far from the facts. Reminds me of an Orange lying-guy in DC, actually. ;-)
Someone is off their meds

Old 10-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Someone is off their meds
Funny, I found xg's post to be honest and well-reasoned.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:36 PM

1,558 posts, read 500,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leathertrampex View Post
Hello,

I'm interested in moving to the Seattle area. I would like to hear from locals and long time residents about the cultural and social climate of the city. I'm an individual of color (Mexican-American) who would like to settle in a comminity with a sense of racial harmony. I have set my sights on Seattle (I have looked into Portland too). Is Seattle the ideal city for me? I look forward to reading your responses. Thank you.
You would be more accepted if you were Gay,or homeless.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:23 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,960,047 times
Seattle certainly wants to think it is socially progressive. People LOVE to parrot endlessly about how "progressive" and "open minded" the city is. Note: that the "open mindedness" only applies if you have beliefs that are parallel to the vast majority of the citizens here. Translation: it is absolutely, 100%, not safe to walk around Seattle with a RNC, Donald Trump hat, or refer to the senate majority leader as anything other than "Moscow Mitch." If you fit in with how everyone in the city thinks, your race will not be an issue.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
Seattle certainly wants to think it is socially progressive. People LOVE to parrot endlessly about how "progressive" and "open minded" the city is. Note: that the "open mindedness" only applies if you have beliefs that are parallel to the vast majority of the citizens here. Translation: it is absolutely, 100%, not safe to walk around Seattle with a RNC, Donald Trump hat, or refer to the senate majority leader as anything other than "Moscow Mitch." If you fit in with how everyone in the city thinks, your race will not be an issue.
I think the gist of what people mean by open minded and progressive here is that Seattle is pretty dang accepting of all ethnicities, sexual orientation, religion or no religion. That's just a fact. I think most of us here believe that anything that doesn't hurt others is okay. I also think that many of us believe that Trump's beliefs and actions have hurt others, fired up hatred of immigrants, other ethnicities and religions. For me, and I think many of us, that's not okay.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:01 AM

1,368 posts, read 2,960,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I think the gist of what people mean by open minded and progressive here is that Seattle is pretty dang accepting of all ethnicities, sexual orientation, religion or no religion. That's just a fact. I think most of us here believe that anything that doesn't hurt others is okay. I also think that many of us believe that Trump's beliefs and actions have hurt others, fired up hatred of immigrants, other ethnicities and religions. For me, and I think many of us, that's not okay.

Exactly my point. The open mindedness only extends to one variety of thought, which is more or less shared by 85-90% of Seattle (myself included, let's be clear) but probably about 55-60% of the country as a whole. It's not really an "open minded" place if its more or less openly hostile to a large minority of people's opinions in the country. Don't get me wrong, I love the city and largely fit in great here. But I think people here are largely deluding themselves when they act like this city is some bastion of open mindedness and tolerance. That said, I think people here are very tolerant of immigrants, non-white people, etc., as long as they aren't conservative or republican.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:10 AM

To be clear in return, I didn't feel even close to the same way about Bush or Reagan, even though I didn't share many of their beliefs. I think it is Trump who has created a hostile environment. I'm not a hostile person but hell yes I'm hostile toward someone creating a hostile, dangerous environment. Is that intolerant? I get why someone, even with all the warning signs, might have voted for Trump. To still be on board now, after all that he has done, I don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or