U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 547 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I’m a Florida gal born and raised. My husband and I went up to visit Seattle and Leavenworth WA this past weekend and we fell in love with the mountains and cool weather! We both can’t stand the heat and humidity in Florida anymore and we want to live somewhere close to the trails and mountains, im an avid runner and hiker and my husband is an outdoorsy person too. I’m a microbiologist in the health field and my husband is a software engineer that has worked in the defense and game industries. Our current home in central FL is 350k and is in a great neighborhood with great schools and is about an hour from our works. We love it, but just can’t take this weather and alligators any longer! We would like to find a similar sized house for a similar price and we don’t mind commuting up to an hour for work each day. If there is anything in between Leavenworth and Seattle we would be in heaven. We don’t mind living in the middle of nowhere, I’d love some land and privacy. I know near Seattle the housing market is very competitive. Can anyone recommend some areas like this? We would
greatly appreciate your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 01:59 PM

80,077 posts, read 73,067,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatLander93 View Post
Hi all,
I’m a Florida gal born and raised. My husband and I went up to visit Seattle and Leavenworth WA this past weekend and we fell in love with the mountains and cool weather! We both can’t stand the heat and humidity in Florida anymore and we want to live somewhere close to the trails and mountains, im an avid runner and hiker and my husband is an outdoorsy person too. I’m a microbiologist in the health field and my husband is a software engineer that has worked in the defense and game industries. Our current home in central FL is 350k and is in a great neighborhood with great schools and is about an hour from our works. We love it, but just can’t take this weather and alligators any longer! We would like to find a similar sized house for a similar price and we don’t mind commuting up to an hour for work each day. If there is anything in between Leavenworth and Seattle we would be in heaven. We don’t mind living in the middle of nowhere, I’d love some land and privacy. I know near Seattle the housing market is very competitive. Can anyone recommend some areas like this? We would
greatly appreciate your insight!
OP, an hour commute would only get you from one of Seattle's closer suburbs into downtown. "The middle of nowhere" is not an option for a 1-hr. commute. IMO the first order of business is for you two to find jobs in a location that would allow you both to live in the same town and have a manageable commute.

He can start looking at the naval bases around Puget Sound; Bangor comes to mind, which is on the Kitsap Peninsula, where RE is a bit more affordable, though generally more than your house in FL. Also: Bremerton, also on Kitsap. Do you have kids? If not, then you don't need a SFH; a townhome would do, if you can't find a SFH in your price range. Kitsap has hiking, and relative proximity to the Olympic Mountains. IDK about microbiology jobs in the area, but there's a research lab in Sequim, and IDK what else, off the top of my head.

You two could consider Port Ludlow, where housing is cheaper, and it's more or less halfway between Bangor or Bremerton and Sequim, less than an hr. commute to each. There are some beautiful homes at affordable prices in Pt Ludlow. Nevertheless, a long commute would be unusual for the area, and would be best avoided, IMO, because during inclement weather (rain mostly, the rare snowfall, too) those commutes would be more challenging and time-consuming.

I'm sure others will have more and probably better ideas. But be aware, that some locations in Western WA require a ferry to get to Seattle. If you live and work on the Kitsap Peninsula, you wouldn't be going to Seattle very often. As you learn more about Western WA, you'll need to adjust the picture in your mind that you've conjured, of a place somewhere inbetween Seattle and Leavenworth. The Cascades aren't the only mountains around.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-12-2019 at 02:09 PM..

Old 10-12-2019, 02:44 PM

4,779 posts, read 2,189,479 times
Get some job offers,
then find a rental,
then look get to know the neighborhoods, and find a RE agent
Finally buy.

Where you find the jobs will determine your abode.
and you will it difficult to find something at $350-400. Certainly doable but your commute may be very bad.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:11 PM

920 posts, read 1,844,923 times
Try $600k+ to match what you have in FL.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:14 PM

5,498 posts, read 5,336,535 times
North Bend or Snoqualmie are you best choices along I-90. Issaquah (where I live) is closer in.

On the other side of Snoqualmie Pass you have Cle Elum. Don't know about schools, but it is big enough to have several pot shops, yoga and Pioneer Coffee.

We went to Leavenworth yesterday. On the way back there was a 17 mile back up on eastbound side. The thing is, there really aren't any exits between like mile 33, 34 and the pass, which is like mile 52 or something. So all the cars and trucks had to sit and wait.

Just something to think about if you're thinking of a lifestyle that bridges the passes.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:21 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,325,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Try $800k+ to match what you have in FL.
Fixed

Old 10-12-2019, 03:40 PM

4,779 posts, read 2,189,479 times
^ I was in Issh last Saturday for the Salmon fair. It was very good. Better than Fremonts Solstice fair and Udistrict's 45 Ave fair. Discovered that getting to Issh is not easy from Redmond even in the daylite hours and impossible to return to Redmond in the evening hours. I eventually took the 554x into International District then transfer to 545x for Redmond, 25 miles on $1 but it took 1:40hrs.

I was thinking about eating in Chinatown on my return home but I had the bbq Salmon Plate at Issh with 3 salmon skins and another 3 skins to take home. I felt like a bear preparing for the winter.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:45 PM

6,846 posts, read 5,320,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatLander93 View Post
Our current home in central FL is 350k and is in a great neighborhood with great schools and is about an hour from our works.
Do you have kids? Areas with houses (3+ bd/2+ ba) for <$350k are going to be either far outside Seattle or have lower scoring schools. And likely higher crime rates.

If you don't have children, I'd recommend the Tacoma area. You'll be closer (than Seattle) to Mt. Rainier, the Olympic Peninsula, and the ocean beaches. Commuting to Downtown Seattle is possible via Sounder commuter rail or Sound Transit express buses.

For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...49322923_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...49172909_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...49159029_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...48877554_zpid/

Old 10-12-2019, 04:59 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,325,753 times
Coming from a nice home in a nice area with good schools I wouldn’t recommend Tacoma...

Unless you want to increase your kids chances of being either hooked on drugs and/or the newest members of Ms-13

Old 10-12-2019, 05:47 PM

6,154 posts, read 4,887,723 times
I'm a born and raised Miami boy living in Seattle 30 years now. I don't miss FL! As far as options between Seattle and Leavenworth, take a look at Monroe. If you are okay with a much smaller place, Index has charm, good rockclimbing and excellent trailheads nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or