U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 10:19 AM

6,853 posts, read 5,323,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
I did look at Magnolia. Seems like a place near Magnolia Village would be nice... somewhere to walk to with my dog... not just passing house after house. Close enough to Ballard and Wallingford by car, and not too far to downtown.

Thanks!
An issue with Magnolia is that there are only three access points, which can get backed up during the rush hours. One of them, the Magnolia Bridge, will likely need to be replaced. Elliott Avenue can also get clogged, especially with Expedia moving into Interbay - that's something that impacts car commutes from Magnolia, West Queen Anne, and Ballard. 15th Ave W and Elliott Ave do have dedicated bus lanes during the morning and afternoon commutes.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...a-replacement/

East Magnolia can be subject to noise from the rail yards, as is the case with West Queen Anne (but less so). Besides the "Village", you might also look at West Magnolia, with Discovery Park providing for great dog walks.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...83228975_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...82395081_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...22605928_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 01:22 AM

124 posts, read 248,916 times
Default North part of Capitol Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Since you didn't mention a budget, sounds like you would love the North part of Capitol Hill or Montlake.
Is the north part of Capitol Hill more expensive than the surrounding areas? How would you describe the vibe there, and how does it differ from the rest of Capitol Hill?

Old 10-18-2019, 07:57 AM

6,159 posts, read 4,891,988 times
Quote:
Is the north part of Capitol Hill more expensive than the surrounding areas? How would you describe the vibe there, and how does it differ from the rest of Capitol Hill?
It's nice actually, not necessarily more expensive than the surrounding areas. If you are looking at a map, check out the area around where Broadway intersects with Roy. Keeping with your desire to be close to Downtown, safe area, places to walk, that would probably be your best bet. You could actually walk downtown from there in about 20 min or a (very) short Lyft ride. There are cafes, coffee shops, nearby (lots actually), but more mellow than other parts of Capitol Hill. Volunteer Park, the Conservatory and the Asian Art Museum are a short walk as well as (believe it) Bruce and Brandon Lee's grave. This area of Capitol Hill also is just about the closest to SLU, especially if you live west of Broadway (find Top Pot Doughnuts on a map). There are lots of character filled historic apartment buildings in this area.

You could also look at the area we call East Capitol Hill, close to Aloha and 15th Ave on your map. Though that isn't quite as close to Downtown as the first area I mentioned, it has a cool neighborhood vibe.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Not a lot of apartments north of Aloha on Capitol Hill. Maybe look at the Roosevelt/Ravenna/Bryant neighborhoods. The U District and Roosevelt Stations will be opening in 2021, within walking distance of the above areas. In the mean time, the #43, #44, #45, #65, #71, #73, and #78 all will take you to the UW Station (Husky Stadium/UWMC, 4 minutes to Capitol Hill, 8 minutes to Downtown). Take the #44 to Wallingford/Upper Fremont/Ballard, and the #26, #30, and #31 to Fremont.

Lots going on in the U District and at UW. Live music at the Neptune. Lots of cheap eats/hangouts on the Ave (University Way). Close to Ravenna Park, Green Lake, Magnuson Park, and the Arboretum.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 10-18-2019 at 11:12 AM..

Old 10-21-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Not a lot of apartments north of Aloha on Capitol Hill. Maybe look at the Roosevelt/Ravenna/Bryant neighborhoods. The U District and Roosevelt Stations will be opening in 2021, within walking distance of the above areas. In the mean time, the #43, #44, #45, #65, #71, #73, and #78 all will take you to the UW Station (Husky Stadium/UWMC, 4 minutes to Capitol Hill, 8 minutes to Downtown). Take the #44 to Wallingford/Upper Fremont/Ballard, and the #26, #30, and #31 to Fremont.

Lots going on in the U District and at UW. Live music at the Neptune. Lots of cheap eats/hangouts on the Ave (University Way). Close to Ravenna Park, Green Lake, Magnuson Park, and the Arboretum.
There are quite a few cool historic apartment building unit rentals (that's what mostly is there) west of Broadway and east of I-5 near Aloha on Capitol Hill. Very walkable location, even to SLU or downtown. Use Top Pot doughnuts as a reference point, this is the area I'm speaking of. There are also historic condos for sale sometimes in this area.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:58 AM

7,158 posts, read 9,266,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
There are quite a few cool historic apartment building unit rentals (that's what mostly is there) west of Broadway and east of I-5 near Aloha on Capitol Hill. Very walkable location, even to SLU or downtown. Use Top Pot doughnuts as a reference point, this is the area I'm speaking of. There are also historic condos for sale sometimes in this area.
What's historic? Something that is very old and needs major renovation?

Old 10-21-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
What's historic? Something that is very old and needs major renovation?
Some places need a little work but many are impeccably maintained, renovated and have excellent bones. Since you asked, "historic" in this case often refers to properties built in Seattle from 1900 to 1940, character architecture, wood floors, arches. When it comes to local house, architectural styles like Craftsman, Tudors, Colonials, American Foursquares and Victorians (though there aren't many off those in Seattle) would fall into that category. There are some beautiful examples all over town that have been extensively renovated. Let me know if you ever want to see one, I bet some would blow your mind.

Back to the thread though, the west of Broadway buildings I'm speaking of (rental) are generally brick, in excellent condition, have cool things like high ceilings, wood floors, radiant heaters.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Near Aloha, yes. I've lived in several apartments in that area (including in the historic Ben Lomond). Went to art school at Cornish (on Roy). Gets you close to Volunteer Park. 15th through 19th, gets you close to Interlaken Park. Great area. (Unfortunately the Harvard Exit Theater is now the Mexican Consulate.)

I'd call that "mid-Capitol Hill," however. Or nearer Broadway, Denny to Aloha, "North Broadway." I think the area the OP referred to is more accurately north of Boston, encompassing the Roanoke, Portage Bay, and Montlake neighborhoods. There are some apartments there, but nowhere near the density south of Aloha.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:19 PM

747 posts, read 371,398 times
Quote:
When you cross 15th it becomes more family oriented. It is a very historic neighborhood with old mansions and very neat old homes. Yes it is spendy but at this point not sure it's that much more than living in Ballard. Not sure if you are talking about renting or buying. If you are renting the apts in the area I'm talking about would likely be along 15th, 19th, and 23rd Ave east (which is a 4 lane street). There are way more options in the heart of Capitol Hill which is probably the area you are more familiar with but that is definitely a dense and urban area filled with single folks and not as family oriented and quiet. You can still walk to all the cool areas of Capitol Hill from the area I was thinking of. You might want to even consider Madison Valley which would be east of 23rd ave. That area became really hot because houses were so much cheaper than up on the Hill but you are a little further out from nightlife. You are blocks away from Washington Park Arboretum though which is a plus.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
If you are renting the apts in the area I'm talking about would likely be along 15th, 19th, and 23rd Ave east (which is a 4 lane street)....You might want to even consider Madison Valley which would be east of 23rd ave. That area became really hot because houses were so much cheaper than up on the Hill but you are a little further out from nightlife. You are blocks away from Washington Park Arboretum though which is a plus.
Also along John/Thomas, Union, and, as you point out, Madison. Along major arterials, in other words. 23rd has been road-dieted, so now two lanes and a turn lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area