Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 12:26 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times

Advertisements

I turned down all my Health Plans options for 2020 thru my company. I work for full time for a fortune 500 company non management. The deductibles, monthly payments and lack of complete coverage for major health issues made me feel like it like it was not really insurance at all. If I had a 200k hospital bill It would at best depending on the plan 120k company paid 80k my portion of the bill. That is after my deductible is meet.

If anything major was to happen to me I would might be literally better off dead or flying to India, Thailand, South America for needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 09:55 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I turned down all my Health Plans options for 2020 thru my company. I work for full time for a fortune 500 company non management. The deductibles, monthly payments and lack of complete coverage for major health issues made me feel like it like it was not really insurance at all. If I had a 200k hospital bill It would at best depending on the plan 120k company paid 80k my portion of the bill. That is after my deductible is meet.

If anything major was to happen to me I would might be literally better off dead or flying to India, Thailand, South America for needs.
So your plan had no out of pocket maximum? That seems insane for a Fortune 500 company.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:19 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Oh crap. My mistake the fine print is 6k max out of pocket. I got so used to 100% coverage after the co pay with no deductibles from previous job that I am not used to all these other rules.

That company was Group Health. I did not pay a monthly premium and no out of pocket anything but the max co pay of 50 bucks for ER visit.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:41 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
$18k for health care stinks more. Seriously? That is unheard of anywhere else in the world. We need universal health care which would cost a fraction of this. No wonder there are so many homeless people...
Yes, that's a frigtening number for health care.

I thought the average (talking average here) was about $8,000 per year?

Old 10-22-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:

If anything major was to happen to me I would might be literally better off dead or flying to India, Thailand, South America for needs
I would trust Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand for any serious or life-saving procedure or operation.

it's a fraction of the cost of the US.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:21 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Oh crap. My mistake the fine print is 6k max out of pocket. I got so used to 100% coverage after the co pay with no deductibles from previous job that I am not used to all these other rules.

That company was Group Health. I did not pay a monthly premium and no out of pocket anything but the max co pay of 50 bucks for ER visit.
My husband must have worked for the same employer.. we had same benefits with group Health for a couple years.

Love it of course, but seemed so, so very unfair in the broader sense.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:49 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I would trust Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand for any serious or life-saving procedure or operation.

If you're not caught in a life-saving medical emergency and can plan out a needed surgery for your continued, better health, a Hospital like the above would be the way ta go. Unless you have several million dollars saved. Medical costs in America are nuts.

I go across the border at El Paso to Juarez, Mexico, to the Washington Dental Clinic for my dental needs. Costs of treatment are 1/6th the price of dentists in Alamogordo and Las Cruces, New Mexico. They have English-speakers advisors there and they do fine work. I went there in July of 2019. Everything went fine - they pick you up at the Sunland Park Mall in north El Paso in a minivan and scoot you right to Washington Dental Clinic in Juarez. It's only about a block and a half in to the City of Juarez.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:33 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
We must have a good insurance plan. They're covering wife's acl surgery, completely.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:03 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Yes, that's a frigtening number for health care.

I thought the average (talking average here) was about $8,000 per year?
As I said I could be off on private plans. Not to mention the subsidies associated with Obama care. My math was based on the $1100/month I paid for myself and my son in 2003.

I would LOVE to find out actual numbers because I'm trying to account for health insurance in the event that my husband explores alternative career opportunities without benefits.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

If you're not caught in a life-saving medical emergency and can plan out a needed surgery for your continued, better health, a Hospital like the above would be the way ta go. Unless you have several million dollars saved. Medical costs in America are nuts.

I go across the border at El Paso to Juarez, Mexico, to the Washington Dental Clinic for my dental needs. Costs of treatment are 1/6th the price of dentists in Alamogordo and Las Cruces, New Mexico. They have English-speakers advisors there and they do fine work. I went there in July of 2019. Everything went fine - they pick you up at the Sunland Park Mall in north El Paso in a minivan and scoot you right to Washington Dental Clinic in Juarez. It's only about a block and a half in to the City of Juarez.
Thanks for the info, elkotronics.

And I hope many more US citizens choose medical care in MX and anywhere outside of the USA.

It's a sham that destroys people. Such a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area