U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2019, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,462 posts, read 3,611,576 times
Reputation: 3663

Advertisements

Hi, so this is just kind of saying hello I guess, and hopefully get some various bits of advice from the Seattle forum regulars and maybe a bit of what to expect in my upcoming move and life adventure...

I'm 36 y.o. single guy and have lived my whole life thus far in and around Atlanta GA, born and raised here in the southeast (by transplant parents). Am a very progressive, liberal minded southerner. Work in software/tech.

I have an opportunity to relocate to Seattle in Q1 with my current employer, and I don't have a family or a s/o tying me down here in Atlanta, so, I'm doing it. Exciting but a little scary, as I've always lived in the opposite corner of the country (in every sense) in Georgia. It's going to be working from home situation at least for the first year, as we don't have an office out there yet. My move is going to be probably in January, or depending on if my condo sells quick, which it should.

So my one visit to Seattle was 2 years ago, I was there for a week in September of '17 doing my tourist thing in the city- home base was an airbnb in Capitol Hill- and I absolutely loved it out there. But, it happened to be mostly sunny and clear that week, which I guess is the exception to the usual overcast. That whole weather thing is the part I guess I'm most scared about, but I think I might be okay? If I get one of those therapy lamps or whatever? And the summers, like 1/4 of the year is really sunny and great... right? I love hiking and getting outdoors.

I'm looking forward to leaving the oppressive heat and humidity and backwards political climate of the South. But, am going to miss living near my extended family mostly all down here. I do have an aunt and uncle, retired in one of those little towns near Olympia WA so I think that's sort of near Seattle. And I have one friend I know in Seattle somewhere, and maybe one more is planning to move there too. But otherwise I'll be all on my own, and single in my 30s. So with the whole 'Seattle Freeze' thing and the supposed flaky straight dating scene thing, I'm a little worried about all that, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm looking at renting in Belltown, is my current favorite. Think I would I be able to make it and thrive, without owning a car? I would like to sell my car here, and try to live an urban lifestyle getting by on walking and transit and Lyft and Zipcar and all that. Is that a good idea? I won't have a commute for now.

You don't need air conditioning at all???? Huh? That is so crazy to me, having always lived in the South.

Is the NHL team really going to be called the Sockeyes? I'm not sure I like that name? Maybe it'll grow on me. Yeah I know something to do with salmon I guess? I think the Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders are all good team names. I am a big ATL United fan (but I'm totally ready to distance myself from the Falcons)

Is Seattle a great place to live? Hope so since I'm going to live there. You know, we got your MARTA heavy rail system due to your blunder, but we never expanded it and the transit sucks in Metro Atlanta. Whereas y'all are investing $50 billion and actually expanding yours. I don't think the fact that it's light rail matters, since when I rode it 2 years ago it seemed to go just as fast as the heavy rail. Though I guess less capacity.

Final question, how does anyone afford to buy a home? Work at Microsoft or Amazon I guess, right? I glanced at Zillow and... yeah, wow. I guess I'm not used to the west coast cost of living.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2019, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Seattle
5,420 posts, read 3,300,044 times
Reputation: 3823
1. Welcome!
2. I was like you, I visited here 5 or 6 times. The first time I visited, I thought I had to make this my home, and I've loved it so far (been here two months).
3. I looked at 15 different apts, I think only 1 had a/c. Box fan works and I think would be cheaper honestly. I'm from Texas, got used to it.
4. Yes, it's expensive. Very expensive, like double Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2019, 12:16 AM
 
Location: WA Desert, Seattle native
6,175 posts, read 4,102,930 times
Reputation: 4642
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Hi, so this is just kind of saying hello I guess, and hopefully get some various bits of advice from the Seattle forum regulars and maybe a bit of what to expect in my upcoming move and life adventure...

I'm 36 y.o. single guy and have lived my whole life thus far in and around Atlanta GA, born and raised here in the southeast (by transplant parents). Am a very progressive, liberal minded southerner. Work in software/tech.

I have an opportunity to relocate to Seattle in Q1 with my current employer, and I don't have a family or a s/o tying me down here in Atlanta, so, I'm doing it. Exciting but a little scary, as I've always lived in the opposite corner of the country (in every sense) in Georgia. It's going to be working from home situation at least for the first year, as we don't have an office out there yet. My move is going to be probably in January, or depending on if my condo sells quick, which it should.

So my one visit to Seattle was 2 years ago, I was there for a week in September of '17 doing my tourist thing in the city- home base was an airbnb in Capitol Hill- and I absolutely loved it out there. But, it happened to be mostly sunny and clear that week, which I guess is the exception to the usual overcast. That whole weather thing is the part I guess I'm most scared about, but I think I might be okay? If I get one of those therapy lamps or whatever? And the summers, like 1/4 of the year is really sunny and great... right? I love hiking and getting outdoors.

I'm looking forward to leaving the oppressive heat and humidity and backwards political climate of the South. But, am going to miss living near my extended family mostly all down here. I do have an aunt and uncle, retired in one of those little towns near Olympia WA so I think that's sort of near Seattle. And I have one friend I know in Seattle somewhere, and maybe one more is planning to move there too. But otherwise I'll be all on my own, and single in my 30s. So with the whole 'Seattle Freeze' thing and the supposed flaky straight dating scene thing, I'm a little worried about all that, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm looking at renting in Belltown, is my current favorite. Think I would I be able to make it and thrive, without owning a car? I would like to sell my car here, and try to live an urban lifestyle getting by on walking and transit and Lyft and Zipcar and all that. Is that a good idea? I won't have a commute for now.

You don't need air conditioning at all???? Huh? That is so crazy to me, having always lived in the South.

Is the NHL team really going to be called the Sockeyes? I'm not sure I like that name? Maybe it'll grow on me. Yeah I know something to do with salmon I guess? I think the Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders are all good team names. I am a big ATL United fan (but I'm totally ready to distance myself from the Falcons)

Is Seattle a great place to live? Hope so since I'm going to live there. You know, we got your MARTA heavy rail system due to your blunder, but we never expanded it and the transit sucks in Metro Atlanta. Whereas y'all are investing $50 billion and actually expanding yours. I don't think the fact that it's light rail matters, since when I rode it 2 years ago it seemed to go just as fast as the heavy rail. Though I guess less capacity.

Final question, how does anyone afford to buy a home? Work at Microsoft or Amazon I guess, right? I glanced at Zillow and... yeah, wow. I guess I'm not used to the west coast cost of living.

Thanks!
Hello! I am a Seattle native and lived there the first 30 years of my life, moved away only for better career opportunities, but that had nothing to do with Seattle's career opps.

Let me try and answer your questions...

First, if you are liberal and progressive you will be in the right place. No doubt that Seattle has become this, though there has been some backlash, but probably not enough to change the general political structure.

You bring up weather as an important factor. There has been so much written about this, it would be easy to find the info you are looking for. But, in general if you crave sunshine, Seattle won't be right for you. If you like generally mild winters and don't mind rain days, (not like Georgia rain)...misty, light rain for days on end, then Seattle will be fine. Summers are usually great, with warm, but not hot days and very little rain.

Transit is improving. Living in the city does not require a car. Light rail is continueing to be built, but is still a work in progress. Excellent bus system as well. Rideshare is huge there.

You seem to already know quite a bit about the area, which is smart. Most have no idea that MARTA stole Seattle's heavy rail!

AC is not needed, except for perhaps about 5-10 days per summer. Most just suffer through it.

The sports scene is exciting! Soccer, yes. NFL, yes. MLB, (no comment), but NHL is coming and there is great excitement about that.

To your final question...Real Estate is insane. Way too expensive. You could probably find a Belltown apartment for 2K per month, or if just a studio, somewhat less. Capital Hill or even Beacon Hill, (on the light rail line) would be less. But rents are high everywhere in the city. You need a good paying job to live in Seattle. You didn't mention this aspect of your move, so take it for what it is worth.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2019, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Seattle
6,157 posts, read 4,890,052 times
Reputation: 3719
I'm born and raised Miami boy, sister in Roswell in ATL, I've been living in Seattle 30 years now, couldn't imagine living anywhere else. You'll be fine without a car in Belltown, everything is close, rent a car when you need one to head out to the mountains. I miss my family sometimes but I go there and they come here. We both enjoy the visits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2019, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Independent Republic of Ballard
6,849 posts, read 5,322,450 times
Reputation: 4469
Lots of areas in Seattle where you can live without a car: Downtown, Belltown, Pioneer Square, International District, Lower Queen Anne (Uptown), Queen Anne Hill, Eastlake, Capitol Hill, First Hill, North Beacon Hill, U District, Fremont, Ballard, Wallingford, Green Lake, Phinney Ridge, West Seattle ("the Junction" and Admiral), Columbia City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2019, 02:19 AM
 
Location: Was Midvalley Oregon; Now Eastside Seattle area
4,783 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Reputation: 3614
Your Seattle's pay better be a lot more than Atlanta's, else you will soon be looking for a new job.
You can get around easily without a personal car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2019, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Seattle
6,157 posts, read 4,890,052 times
Reputation: 3719
The answer to your question about buying a home, like anywhere people do it within their means. Places like Northgate, Lake City, Shoreline, Lynnwood, Beacon Hill, Rainier Beach, Burien, Renton are less expensive than close in Seattle neighborhoods. People who are committed to living closer in get smaller places, townhomes, condos. Buying something that is older that needs some work can help a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2019, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,462 posts, read 3,611,576 times
Reputation: 3663
Wow thanks so much, all! Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been a regular over at the Atlanta CD forum, and looking forward to following the Seattle community around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I was like you, I visited here 5 or 6 times. The first time I visited, I thought I had to make this my home, and I've loved it so far (been here two months).
That is really awesome to hear. Yeah I had a good feeling already going into it that I'd like Seattle from all I'd seen, and heard and things I wanted to see and explore, and then on my pleasure vacation it was definitely confirmed. The mountains and nature and compact urban city, and also coming from a landlocked metro with surprisingly barely any major water features, for one I just love all the water around everywhere out there. But without the miserable heat of Florida. I'm looking forward to that.

On my trip we also checked out Victoria BC for a day and that was a cool town also- was actually my first visit to Canada and I took the Clipper ferry which was totally awesome. Saw some orcas out there!

Quote:
I looked at 15 different apts, I think only 1 had a/c. Box fan works and I think would be cheaper honestly. I'm from Texas, got used to it.
Yeah the power bill savings sounds like will be really nice. Cool, that is good advice, I am definitely gonna get a box fan.

No state income tax also sounds quite nice... almost like getting a raise?

Quote:
Yes, it's expensive. Very expensive, like double Atlanta.
Yeah it seems to be about double, and everything's half the square footage. Granted it's been about 4 years since I've rented, but in my head I was used to $1,600 getting you at least one bedroom and a dining room and a large living room in most areas inside the perimeter around here, and I'm looking at 300-400 sq. foot micro-studios in Seattle in that range. But I kind of like the idea of a small place. I just basically want a home base to sleep, work, and I want to spend most of the rest of my time outside exploring everywhere. And I have a laptop so I can probably just work from coffee shops if I get sick of it.

Do the coffee shop places and cafes generally have free Wifi, in the Seattle downtown area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I am a Seattle native and lived there the first 30 years of my life, moved away only for better career opportunities, but that had nothing to do with Seattle's career opps.
Yeah I knew I would never be able to live in a metro that didn't have at least around Atlanta's level of jobs and corporate HQ's and economy strength.

Quote:
First, if you are liberal and progressive you will be in the right place. No doubt that Seattle has become this, though there has been some backlash, but probably not enough to change the general political structure.
Yeah I've lived in a red state my entire life, so just that much alone is going to be refreshing. I'm not like hyper-socialist or anything, I would just prefer the political debate be something beyond, "hey how are we going to strip away women's rights to their bodies and how are we going to find a new way to discriminate against gay people this week and blah blah blah Jesus?" I'm just tired of all of it. Everything from cannabis policy to all that, I prefer to live in a more liberal area even if the taxes are higher. Taxes aren't evil, they just fund public things that you use in your community and that increase your quality of life. For some reason Georgia doesn't want that, and so we rank at like near the bottom of all the categories. Dumb.

Quote:
But, in general if you crave sunshine, Seattle won't be right for you. If you like generally mild winters and don't mind rain days, (not like Georgia rain)...misty, light rain for days on end, then Seattle will be fine. Summers are usually great, with warm, but not hot days and very little rain.
I definitely appreciate sunshine, but lack of it I don't think is a deal breaker if I like or love everything else. And gloomy moody weather can be enjoyable in its own way too. I'm an introvert type person and can easily just be inside if I don't want the gloomy.

I do like mild winters, and that's what ruled out Chicago for me, a city that I also love and visited twice, but I just would not want to deal with all the brutal cold for a large portion of the year. I'd take the miserable summers of the South over the miserable winters of the North, and Seattle sounds like the best of both worlds. Very comparable winter temperatures that I've been used to all my life, just cloudier.

Quote:
Transit is improving. Living in the city does not require a car. Light rail is continueing to be built, but is still a work in progress. Excellent bus system as well. Rideshare is huge there.

You seem to already know quite a bit about the area, which is smart. Most have no idea that MARTA stole Seattle's heavy rail!
Yeah I follow all the transit stuff and history of it and everything. Loved the Seattle bus service when I was there- so frequent and it goes in a straight line. The road and grid system is better there too.

I've never lived car-free before, but now's my perfect opportunity to try it. I'm going for an apartment with a walk score of at least 98.

Quote:
The sports scene is exciting! Soccer, yes. NFL, yes. MLB, (no comment), but NHL is coming and there is great excitement about that.
It's going to be perfect with the timing of me moving there- I haven't had an NHL team to root for in a while. Was sad when we lost the Thrashers.

Quote:
To your final question...Real Estate is insane. Way too expensive. You could probably find a Belltown apartment for 2K per month, or if just a studio, somewhat less. Capital Hill or even Beacon Hill, (on the light rail line) would be less. But rents are high everywhere in the city. You need a good paying job to live in Seattle. You didn't mention this aspect of your move, so take it for what it is worth.
I might be getting a modest raise maybe, but it's still going to be an Atlanta based salary. But I don't have to stay with my company forever, if the pay isn't cutting it for the expense I can apply for things out there. For now I'm just really glad for the opportunity to relocate and be approved to work remotely with my current job. Small ATL-based company and they wanted the time zone range coverage for our customers.

But I can easily afford rent (though don't want to pay $2,000- that's ridiculous), and I'm about to make a large chunk of cash on my home sale, so I'll have a nice buffer to survive and avoid homelessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I'm born and raised Miami boy, sister in Roswell in ATL, I've been living in Seattle 30 years now, couldn't imagine living anywhere else. You'll be fine without a car in Belltown, everything is close, rent a car when you need one to head out to the mountains. I miss my family sometimes but I go there and they come here. We both enjoy the visits.
Indeed. That's the plan exactly for me too.

Yeah I'm looking into that Trailhead Direct thing, and I'm gonna maintain non-owner car insurance so I can just rent a car when I want to go exploring rural areas. All in all I think I should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Lots of areas in Seattle where you can live without a car: Downtown, Belltown, Pioneer Square, International District, Lower Queen Anne (Uptown), Queen Anne Hill, Eastlake, Capitol Hill, First Hill, North Beacon Hill, U District, Fremont, Ballard, Wallingford, Green Lake, Phinney Ridge, West Seattle ("the Junction" and Admiral), Columbia City.
I love Capitol Hill, like the south part of it closer to downtown, and I love Belltown. I think I'm leaning towards Belltown cause I want to be in reasonable walking distance to Pike Place Market which I love.

I like all the grunge music history stuff and all that. I was telling my friend, my man card be damned, I like the movie Singles. She said the man card was not on the line because of the music in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
The answer to your question about buying a home, like anywhere people do it within their means. Places like Northgate, Lake City, Shoreline, Lynnwood, Beacon Hill, Rainier Beach, Burien, Renton are less expensive than close in Seattle neighborhoods. People who are committed to living closer in get smaller places, townhomes, condos. Buying something that is older that needs some work can help a little.
That's a fair point.

Some of it might be my perception is off. To me $350k for a tiny little micro condo seems really high, but I guess if you factor in really great urban location, plus the jobs pay more, maybe it makes more sense.

Thanks all, I feel better now! Only slightly nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2019, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Was Midvalley Oregon; Now Eastside Seattle area
4,783 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Reputation: 3614
zillow, apartments.com and a local RE agent are you friends.
Rent first, unless you really find a good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2019, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,575 posts, read 1,378,289 times
Reputation: 3797
A couple of random comments...

Car: By all means if you want to go "car-free," you can do it. But recognize that Seattle is in the middle of one of the most scenic, diverse, and exciting regions in the country. In an hour you can be skiing in the winter, island-hopping in the spring, summer and autumn (or winter for that matter) or spend days away from home in nature reserves, national parks, or in other cities like Vancouver or Portland, all easily accessed by car, less conveniently by train or bus.

I'm going to post a couple of pictures just to illustrate the kinds of things you can access with a car that might not be easy (or even possible) without one.

Midwinter in the Skagit Valley, an hour north of Seattle (snow geese and Mount Baker) -



Spring, same area -



and



Spring on Vashon Island (Mt. Rainier in distance) -



Spring in the Washington Palouse, around 3 hours' drive from Seattle -



and



The point being, a car gives you incredible freedom, even if you don't use it most days. Sure, you can rent a car if you want (but, for example, rental cars don't permit snow chains, required for entry to national parks and on some ski access roads in the winter months) but having an inexpensive car available MIGHT be worth considering.

Not to mention, access to Costco, Ikea, or other big-box destinations.

Housing cost: Anybody's guess, but my own view (having worked in the housing business for most of my career) is that the spate of overbuilding of multi-family housing in the Seattle area (hence the forest of tower cranes) is tapering off, and prices are likely to stabilize or even go down a bit over the next couple of years. This is especially the case with smaller units and condos; many singles (or newly-formed couples) are waiting to upgrade into single family homes. This demand has supported current prices for houses, but at the (potential) expense of not enough people waiting for the next round of tiny, overpriced rentals to enter the market, which they will be doing over the next year or so as construction is complete.

Weather: The gloom factor is way overblown. Even in the depths of winter, it's common to get a few days of glorious cold sunshine. The weather pattern reflects a series of weather fronts that blow in off the Pacific, bringing breezy and wet weather, followed by a couple of days of cloudy weather, then a couple of clear or partly-clear ones, rinse and repeat. Yes, you're pretty far north, so daylight hours in the winter are shorter than anyplace outside Alaska, but by the same token, they're longer in the summer.

Access to the rest of the world. A round trip ticket from Seattle to Atlanta during the winter is around $300. You'll save that much (probably several times over) in not having a state income tax in Washington, unlike Georgia. Your utility bills will be MUCH cheaper without having to pay for a/c (buy a window unit for the bedroom, worst case.)

So, welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top