Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2019, 02:43 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,282,617 times

Advertisements

If you have lost reception of DTV (OTA) channels via an antenna this morning, you'll need to rescan for available channels on your TV.

https://www.kiro7.com/station/kiro-7...r-tv/987972560

Quote:
On October 19 at 1 a.m., KIRO 7 will move to a new frequency – along with many other local TV stations. The move is required by the Federal Communications Commission.

If you watch KIRO 7 on a cable or satellite provider, you don't need to do anything.

If you watch KIRO 7 for free using an antenna, you'll need to rescan your channels after 1 a.m. on October 19.
https://komonews.com/news/consumer/h...ge-frequencies

Quote:
Congress passed a law a couple of years ago that essentially forces many TV stations across the country to give up their broadcast frequencies, so that wireless companies can use them to meet the growing wireless demand. As each station moves to a new frequency, antenna users who watch that station need to rescan- or adjust their TV settings.
After rescanning for channels on my LG LCD TV, I was still unable to receive several channels that I was able to receive before:

1. I was able to tune in Channel 13 (QFox) at 13.1 only by moving my antenna around until the signal was recognized (in my case, that was hanging my el cheapo antenna off of my vacuum cleaner). I'll have to do that every time I want to watch QFox (Seahawks games, for instance). Previously, I was able to get good reception of QFox at 22.2, but just so-so reception at 13.1.

2. I haven't been able to get JoeTV no matter what I do (won't be watching any Sounders games, it seems) - I was previously able to get this channel at 22.1, but am now unable to get any of the 22.x channels.

Almost makes me think the "repacking" of OTA channels (to open up wireless spectrum) is in reality a conspiracy to force OTA viewers back to cable, at least to reliably be able get their major local channels...

Note: I'm in West Ballard, tucked in between higher elevations (Magnolia to the south and Sunset Hill to the north). If a train goes by, or even a plane flies overhead, my OTA reception goes out.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 10-19-2019 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area