U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 AM

370 posts, read 259,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Hi Scorpion3510,
Welcome or as homesinseatle said “almost” .
I think you are going to like it.
I actually have several friends from work that live in Novato.
Nice place.

We bought a place that we are going to retire in on the Peninsula and love it.
My daughter lives in one of the houses there and we go up every 5-6 weeks.

It’s kind of a small world up there.
Two of our neighbors up there also live 5-6 miles from us down here.
No doubt you will find people near you up there that have roots to your Bay Area digs.

Once again welcome and good choice.
Andy.

Thanks Andy! I'm relatively new to California but Novato has been one of the nicer places around here. Bay Area has some nice features to it but I'm happy to be leaving. I really miss rain on a more frequent basis and thick forests.

Thanks for the welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 11:31 AM

4,816 posts, read 2,204,947 times
Quote:
So with that said, overarching advice is stay as close to 90 as possible? What about northern areas like Lake Forest Park, Shireline, and north Seattle neighborhoods?
Ans. Yes, stay close to I-90, if you want to live in Eastside or want to get out of town, fast.
Its possible to live Northside for you since the Sounder is near at your work site; But not too practical for DW.

Quote:
-I'll be working 3 days in Office at 5th Ave and Yesler in Seattle (can flex time earlier or later than normal hours if needed)

-Wife will be 4-5 days (M - F normal hours) at either the Fred Hutch Center in SLU or Over Lake Medical NE of Bellevue (not sure which yet)
DS lives off of Yesler (#27 bus) and works at 5th & Jackson (#14) . It is very convenient to Seattle's stuff. We live in Redmond (#545), and often use his place as a pied-de-terre if we have an event in Seattle-Seatac. He can get to work in 15 minutes. He can get on I-90 in about 3 minutes and be on the ski slopes in about an hour. For you and wife (if working at FredH) anywhere in Seattle is fine, someone is going to have a longer commute. Your dog will be your limiting factor. If your wife works at Overlake Hosp, Issaquah-Bellevue is OK. For you, anything that has fast access to the International District transit Center (ID-TC) is good.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:24 PM

6,868 posts, read 5,333,604 times
Maybe look at Kirkland. Very walkable with shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, etc. Close to Juanita Beach Park, Saint Edward State Park, and Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery. Commutable to Overlake MC, Fred Hutch, and Downtown Seattle - last two via SR-520 (tolled).

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...49045723_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/N...82392200_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...49140563_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...48980919_zpid/

Old 10-20-2019, 12:52 PM

4,816 posts, read 2,204,947 times
Kirkland TC to Bellevue TC: #235. Goes right by Overlake Hosp.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:53 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,151,980 times
Avoid driving across a lake if you can. I live on the Eastside, and it's a great place, but the traffic into/out of Seattle sucks. It's even worse if you're trying to get home to let your dog out. Capitol Hill, Eastlake, Queen Anne, Madison Park, Madrona, Columbia City, Leschi, Beacon Hill - all great options if you can find a place that will accept large dogs. Wouldn't rule out the Eastside, but with your job locations, wouldn't have it on top of the list either. Transit is your friend when crossing bridges, so if you do have to consider it - try to make sure you have a pretty straight shot with minimal (preferably none) transfers.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:04 PM

6,170 posts, read 4,901,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Thanks homesinseattle! I've read your sound advice for years on this forum. Thanks again!
You bet, happy to help.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Avoid driving across a lake if you can. I live on the Eastside, and it's a great place, but the traffic into/out of Seattle sucks. It's even worse if you're trying to get home to let your dog out. Capitol Hill, Eastlake, Queen Anne, Madison Park, Madrona, Columbia City, Leschi, Beacon Hill - all great options if you can find a place that will accept large dogs. Wouldn't rule out the Eastside, but with your job locations, wouldn't have it on top of the list either. Transit is your friend when crossing bridges, so if you do have to consider it - try to make sure you have a pretty straight shot with minimal (preferably none) transfers.

I checked Google maps during rush hour times and it looks like getting to the east side is actually faster via public transportation in some cases. There doesn't appear to be many buses going to Madison Park.

My wife will probably drive no matter what. I can either catch a ride with her or drive to a transit center and go via bus or light rail from there, if needed.

Right now my commute is 90-100 minutes...one way. Anything less would be a godsend. Especially 60 minutes or less. She averages 40-45 minutes one way currently which she is ok with but less is obviously better.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Maybe look at Kirkland. Very walkable with shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, etc. Close to Juanita Beach Park, Saint Edward State Park, and Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery. Commutable to Overlake MC, Fred Hutch, and Downtown Seattle - last two via SR-520 (tolled).

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...49045723_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/N...82392200_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...49140563_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...48980919_zpid/

These houses are fantastic looking! Thank you for sharing them!

Old 10-20-2019, 03:37 PM

6,465 posts, read 3,618,229 times
Wow, I'm also 36 and going to be moving to Seattle/PNW for the first time, at the same time as you! Which has also been a long time dream for me. Best of luck to us!

Old 10-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Wow, I'm also 36 and going to be moving to Seattle/PNW for the first time, at the same time as you! Which has also been a long time dream for me. Best of luck to us!

I was actually just reading your ATL to SEA thread! Sounds exciting to do. Have you decided on if you are going to go car less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or