Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 03:05 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
I was actually just reading your ATL to SEA thread! Sounds exciting to do. Have you decided on if you are going to go car less?
I'm gonna try it at first, yeah. See how it goes for a few months at least. Then, if I really want to I might get one of those little Fiat 500's that are easy to park.

At least for the first year I'm lucky enough to not have to commute. So it's an ideal situation for that and I can choose literally the 100 walk score apartments circa downtown to live.

Here I have a car and live near a Publix and Kroger which both have easy and free parking, and yet I still only end up getting a couple few bags of groceries usually. I'm single with no kids, I can just walk to the nearest corner little grocery market store in Seattle and get some fresh fruit. Easy.

Also it looks like all the other basic living items are covered at drug stores, and there's a Target downtown which is perfect. Actually shopped at that Target when I visited Seattle.

Plus there's plenty of clothes shopping downtown.

Other types of shopping not covered in that, might be a lot more difficult. (I'm thinking like going to Fry's Electronics or something). But I can just get a Lyft or Uber or Zipcar on those rare occasions.

Zipcar looks like it's everywhere around downtown, and in Cap Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 10:04 AM

400 posts, read 449,485 times
***UPDATE***

My wife accepted her an offer and will be working at Fred Hutch in Seattle!

We recently visited and looked for housing but were unsuccessful. Competed with a bunch of other people and made it to the final 2 but lost the house Our 2nd & 3rd choices were rented out by the time we found about losing our 1st choice.

So, we're heading back up to Seattle the first week of December to look again. I figure we will start a lease anytime from then until Jan 1. The good news is it appears that rent prices in the area are falling. I've seen multiple cuts all over the place.

Now that our work locations are locked in (Fred Hutch/SLU for her and 5th Ave & Yesler for me), any suggestions on areas? Just to remind y'all looking for 2-3 bed, 1.75+ bath that allows an older 50 lb dog (lab) and preferably fenced back yard but it must have a yard.

Budget is no more than $3,000 at month. Looking for more neighborhood feel and don't want to be in the fray of the hustle and bustle but still have commute times of 45 minutes or less. Preferably less. We can also carpool with each other if needed.

Looking in N. Seattle, Shoreline, Bellevue, Kirkland, Newcastle, and Renton just south of Newcastle/Bellevue. Any other areas to check out? Not much in Issaquah and we weren't a fan of Lake City. Edmonds, although nice, is probably too far. Everyone keeps telling us to stay on the east side and traffic seems to agree with that. I'm amazed that I-90 is SO much better than I-5 (nightmare) or I-405 (almost as bad). I didn't get a chance to check out the toll bridge.

Any suggestions or do you know of any rentals? We've been watching the usual websites like hawks.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-20-2019, 10:54 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
IF you are taking public transportation:
Even Redmond is acceptable, and perhaps even more so than Kirkland or Bellevue (550x); Because if you are close to the 545x (91 rts/wkday, limited stops) bus kiosks, wife can debus at Westlake, take the streetcar to Southlake Union-FH. From Redmond TC to Westlake Center ~35 min. Westlake to SLU ~20 min.

Eastlake or Montlake are also good choices. Eastlake (lack of yards, mostly apartments). Montlake (mostly SFH). Bus #70x.

Have your rental app prefilled. Be sure to have all requirements in order. Let the LL know of your urgency. 1st qualified renter wins. Your requirements limit the available rentals.

If you can find anything up Yesler/Jackson it is to your advantage. Use the parks to exercise the dog.- Pick up after the dog.
Disclaimer: We live in Redmond, close to a 545x stop. Son lives on Yesler near 23/Pratt Park. We have rental in the CD area near Yesler. We have a rental in Eastlake

Old 11-20-2019, 11:18 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Look at North Seattle. Some examples:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...49076253_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...49036350_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...48846044_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...49110608_zpid/

Old 11-20-2019, 02:16 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
***UPDATE***

My wife accepted her an offer and will be working at Fred Hutch in Seattle!

We recently visited and looked for housing but were unsuccessful. Competed with a bunch of other people and made it to the final 2 but lost the house Our 2nd & 3rd choices were rented out by the time we found about losing our 1st choice.

So, we're heading back up to Seattle the first week of December to look again. I figure we will start a lease anytime from then until Jan 1. The good news is it appears that rent prices in the area are falling. I've seen multiple cuts all over the place.

Now that our work locations are locked in (Fred Hutch/SLU for her and 5th Ave & Yesler for me), any suggestions on areas? Just to remind y'all looking for 2-3 bed, 1.75+ bath that allows an older 50 lb dog (lab) and preferably fenced back yard but it must have a yard.

Budget is no more than $3,000 at month. Looking for more neighborhood feel and don't want to be in the fray of the hustle and bustle but still have commute times of 45 minutes or less. Preferably less. We can also carpool with each other if needed.

Looking in N. Seattle, Shoreline, Bellevue, Kirkland, Newcastle, and Renton just south of Newcastle/Bellevue. Any other areas to check out? Not much in Issaquah and we weren't a fan of Lake City. Edmonds, although nice, is probably too far. Everyone keeps telling us to stay on the east side and traffic seems to agree with that. I'm amazed that I-90 is SO much better than I-5 (nightmare) or I-405 (almost as bad). I didn't get a chance to check out the toll bridge.

Any suggestions or do you know of any rentals? We've been watching the usual websites like hawks.

Thanks in advance!
Pretty cool. I know you said you have wanted to come here since you were 8 years old. I'm happy for you.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
IF you are taking public transportation:
Even Redmond is acceptable, and perhaps even more so than Kirkland or Bellevue (550x); Because if you are close to the 545x (91 rts/wkday, limited stops) bus kiosks, wife can debus at Westlake, take the streetcar to Southlake Union-FH. From Redmond TC to Westlake Center ~35 min. Westlake to SLU ~20 min.

Eastlake or Montlake are also good choices. Eastlake (lack of yards, mostly apartments). Montlake (mostly SFH). Bus #70x.

Have your rental app prefilled. Be sure to have all requirements in order. Let the LL know of your urgency. 1st qualified renter wins. Your requirements limit the available rentals.

If you can find anything up Yesler/Jackson it is to your advantage. Use the parks to exercise the dog.- Pick up after the dog.
Disclaimer: We live in Redmond, close to a 545x stop. Son lives on Yesler near 23/Pratt Park. We have rental in the CD area near Yesler. We have a rental in Eastlake

We've expanded the search to Redmond but would still not prefer the longer commute. I checked some of the bus schedules and it amounts to 51 minutes from work to Redmond TC on the return commute.

My wife will probably drive. I prefer public transportation (most of the time) but she will definitely end up driving for better or for worse. That's why I was thinking maybe of carpooling to get in the HOV lanes.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Pretty cool. I know you said you have wanted to come here since you were 8 years old. I'm happy for you.
Yep! I did large school projects at 8 - 11 years old on the West, migration patterns, ect. I blame the Oregon Trail for my obsession of the PNW.

Either way, I'm happy to go up there! Will miss what we have here but no rain for 7+ months is not one of them.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:51 PM

CrazyDonkey I don't know how you find these gems so easily, but I may hit you up as it gets closer to Mid-December (when we go back up to look) for some help. Thank you so much!

Old 11-22-2019, 03:57 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Welcome!!

Old 11-23-2019, 02:50 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
So you have a pretty strong budget, you're working in Pioneer Square/ID, and wife is working in South Lake? I'm just wondering why you are searching so far out in suburban communities. My advice is to lose the need for additional bedrooms and proximity to nature (nothing here is going to be a 15 minute drive from mountain biking AND commutable on the day-to-day to Pioneer Square). Find something closer-in especially for the first year as you will be trying to minimize commute times so you can do other things like meet new friends, check out the region, and ultimately house hunt.

Sounds like you want a quieter neighborhood, but the good news is these are in abundance close to downtown Seattle. The problem most people face when accessing these areas is money. But your budget is doable. Madison Valley/Beach/Park, Central District, Mount Baker could all be within your reach.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...013831257.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...012143955.html (this one is a little closer-in but has a fenced yard)
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...021617184.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...025607018.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...020072964.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...023085932.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...017744780.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...021142199.html

and many more...

The commute on a bus between the suburbs (Redmond, Kirkland, Renton, Shoreline) to Seattle can get old, quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area