U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 10:33 AM

700 posts, read 1,034,031 times

Advertisements

One of the huge benefits of transit is that you don't have to use up all that commercial real estate to build parking garages for the people who work downtown. I don't know if anyone has ever calculated the benefit of having more business downtown instead of places to park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 01:09 PM

474 posts, read 279,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
One of the huge benefits of transit is that you don't have to use up all that commercial real estate to build parking garages for the people who work downtown. I don't know if anyone has ever calculated the benefit of having more business downtown instead of places to park.
There's a whole book about it, called "The High Cost of Free Parking" by Donald Shoup.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:10 PM

6,849 posts, read 5,323,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Uber pool can never be cheaper than public transport. It's impossible.
Yeah, it might be quicker, but can't be cheaper, at least for the riders. In King County, seniors/disabled can ride transit for $1 and the poor for $1.25. King County Metro has already switched from a "coverage" to a "frequency" model, requiring riders to walk further to ride fewer, but more frequent, routes (with fewer stops), while also eliminating zone fares (to increase ridership on suburban routes).

Substituting vanpools (Uber or other) for 6.5 million annual ST Link boardings (and that for a "trunk", not the full, system) is completely unrealistic.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:17 PM

7,157 posts, read 9,264,497 times
Yes this user's posts never make sense. Bus or train rides are not charged per mile. Also, if Uber pool was cheaper, most people wouldn't have even needed to own cars. But that's not the case.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:20 PM
Status: "pray for democracy and freedom everlasting" (set 21 days ago)

4,889 posts, read 877,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
If you want to go from Tacoma to Seattle, Uber pool would be close to $50 while bus or train would still be $3.50-$5 because you pay per trip not per mile.
Because the bus or train is highly subsidies by the taxpayer. On average the taxpayer pays 70-80% of the cost, and in your example, doubtless more. Note that the phrase I used was 'cost per passenger mile,' not price per passenger mile.

We could make the bus or train ticket free (100% subsidized) and tax uber 1000%. That would not prove bus/train to be more efficient or smart than uber pool. By the same token we could tax the bus/train 1000% and make uber free. That would not be impossible, n'est ce pas?

Old 10-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Status: "pray for democracy and freedom everlasting" (set 21 days ago)

4,889 posts, read 877,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Google "highway subsidies" and the article you quoted comes up as #1. Your article, by the way, is from 2006 - the contribution of the federal gas tax (which has not been raised since 1993 and is not indexed to inflation) to highway spending has shrunk considerably since then. As the article I linked (from 2013) shows, there is more than just one way to look at the question.
For the second time, I did not use google. I have developed an aversion to it with all the negative headlines.

The numbers that I posted in #10 were from 2010. They may have changed in the intervening 9 years, but not enough to make your case:

Quote:
vanpool: 20 cents per passenger mile
car: 37 cents per passenger mile
bus $1.70 ppm
train $5.39 ppm
The problem with our current transit systems are the model. It is not a system of conveyance, but a jobs program for allies and cronies of elected officials and their pals. When the Sounder train was implemented, a transportation analyst calculated that it would have been cheaper to pay for executive helicopter services for each rider. Sounder cost 6 times what similar bus service would have cost. Did they then make plans to drop Sounder and switch to bus service? No.

https://www.seattlemag.com/article/s...der-north-line
Quote:
And here’s the kicker: Even after paying all that money up front, it still costs Sound Transit six times more to carry a rider from Everett to Seattle by train than by express bus....”

By contrast, the Sounder south route, from Seattle to Tacoma, cost $55,000 per average weekday rider. That’s relatively cheap. Minneapolis–St. Paul paid about $135,000 per rider for its new commuter line.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:34 PM

18,652 posts, read 11,560,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatsu View Post
Sound Transit is entirely funded by people in the ST district. Nobody in Eastern WA pays a dime towards Sound Transit unless they travel to the ST district and purchase goods in stores. Meanwhile people in Western WA pay for Eastern WA's highways.
This. And all the anti-bus rhetoric? Do people really want all the bus riders in single person cars on 405 at 7:30 a.m.? I want more buses, more bus routes, trains, whatever it takes so definitely no on 976.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:53 PM

1,338 posts, read 414,753 times
Default No-brainer, vote NO on 976. Tim Eyman is a criminal.

Thank you X.G. I got straightened out.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:41 PM

6,849 posts, read 5,323,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
For the second time, I did not use google. I have developed an aversion to it with all the negative headlines.
If it is #1 in Google for "subsidizing highways", it ain't hard to find, regardless of where you found it. It is from 2006, for pete's sake! That's 13 years ago, which makes it completely irrelevant. It's probably being hyped by Russian bots...

Old 10-26-2019, 09:08 AM

6,157 posts, read 4,891,988 times
Default October 28th! Deadline to Register Online to Vote in King County.

Here's all the info you need about voting this year. Don't be a non participatory moron, vote! https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/elections.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area