U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 11:23 AM
Status: "pray for democracy and freedom everlasting" (set 21 days ago)

4,889 posts, read 877,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
If it is #1 in Google for "subsidizing highways", it ain't hard to find, regardless of where you found it. It is from 2006, for pete's sake! That's 13 years ago, which makes it completely irrelevant. It's probably being hyped by Russian bots...
If it's "irrelevant," why bring it up? You claimed I found the link via google. I barely use google any more.

Blame Russian bots???? You forgot to blame Trump. And the Koch Bros. SMH at today's far left lunacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 02:28 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,143,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
If it's "irrelevant," why bring it up? You claimed I found the link via google. I barely use google any more.

Blame Russian bots???? You forgot to blame Trump. And the Koch Bros. SMH at today's far left lunacy.
Lets blame AOC and the rest of the "squad"!

Old 10-29-2019, 03:37 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,204,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X.G. View Post
Yeah, this is a no-brainer. Voting NO maintains the fee, however faulty the math may be to some. Here's the thing: between Puget Sounds infrastructure and the Earth's needs, we can't drive like we did. These tab fees will do a huge part in building excellent alternatives to being stuck in traffic, polluting our air. If you are a stubborn auto commuter, you still win -roads will be all-the-less clogged with other drivers if they can take a train to Bellevue, Redmond, Tacoma, Ballard, Lynnwood and the sooner, the better.

Tim Eyman is a long-time hated right-wing anti-tax zealot.He's been convicted of being a tax-cheat, ballot crook, a liar and a thief. Ignore is ifdiotic $-wasting initiatives by rejecting ALL of them, every time. Even conservative editiorial boards say reject this crap.

BTW, to any posters here who think they do their part by voting for some tax initiatives but not others, remember this: however flawed (and it is deeply flawed), WA State has no income tax for anyone. Not a penny's worth. So, these ballot initiatives are how we pay for stuff. Want a top-notch transport system> Vote to tax ourselves to pay for a big chunk of it. Want it built better, faster, swallow hard and vote to pay more. Or, just pend your life choking on smog in stand-still traffic while Tim Eyman makes a crooked state-coffer-sucking career off your ignorance.

Voter NO on i976 and maintain funding for the massive expansion of public transport that we so desperately need. :-)

Here's the thing...much of the rest of the state has seen next to nothing in the way of improvements. All they've done up here is extend the offramps so traffic can back up further onto the freeway, and close our overpasses and bridges for months at a time to widen them and it ends up all we got was a new bicycle lane. I read the voters pamphlet and i976 DOES NOT remove the local voter approved taxes added by counties and cities but it will correct the base fee's back to $30 instead of the added weight tax and extra fee's that have made them the ~$70 they are now.
Washington has one of the highest gas taxes, sales taxes, property taxes(on very high valuations to boot), and so on. They have a huge tax surplus and despite no income tax they get plenty of our money.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 PM

6,849 posts, read 5,323,504 times
Quote:

It was your link. It's irrelevant to your argument. You've failed to provide a more current source. Do you even care? As far as I know, you could be a Russian bot...

Old 10-29-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I read the voters pamphlet and i976 DOES NOT remove the local voter approved taxes added by counties and cities but it will correct the base fee's back to $30 instead of the added weight tax and extra fee's that have made them the ~$70 they are now.
It does so by forcing the defeasement, refinancing, or retirement of bonds already issued under the current valuation method.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Here's the thing...much of the rest of the state has seen next to nothing in the way of improvements.
https://www.permanentdefense.org/new...and-roads.html

Quote:
The state’s Motor Vehicle Fund “shall be for the use of the state, and through state agencies, for the use of counties, cities, and towns for proper road, street, and highway purposes,” according to RCW46.68.070. (Emphasis is ours).

State vehicle weight fees, meanwhile, benefit the Freight Mobility Multimodal Account and the main Multimodal Account. These accounts fund all transportation modes, including our highway system as well as the state’s rail initiatives. See RCW 46.68.415.

And most cities levying vehicle fees are using them for street maintenance. Like Spokane, Sedro-Woolley, Prosser, or Vancouver.

So, again, when Tim Eyman says car tabs don’t pay for bridges and roads, he’s lying.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Perhaps I was not clear. If a NO vote wins here some of the funding of Sound Transit will come from Eastern Washington by definition. General funds are not separated by county if I remember my poly sci 101. But that was 40 years ago so I could be wrong.
Sound Transit receives nothing from the state-wide MVET. ST's only MVET funds are from locally approved add-ons to the MVET that are entirely collected within the Sound Transit District.

https://www.psrc.org/sites/default/f...ix20170131.pdf

Quote:
Sound Transit is ineligible from using state funding sources per enabling legislation for ST3.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
We have a HUGE TAX SURPLUS in this state, they need better money management not more of our hard earned money. The average salary at Sound Transit is over $80,000.00 per year. That is the average.
https://www.permanentdefense.org/new...-976-cuts.html

Quote:
“Tim Eyman talks about budgets as if he knows what he’s talking about. He’s lying,” said Tarleton. “There is no multi-billion dollar ‘net surplus’ available for the Legislature to tap if I-976 is implemented.” She elaborated:
Quote:
Presently, there are two main sources of transportation funding in our state: the fuel tax and vehicle fees, which are supplemented by tolls and ferry fares in specific corridors.”

Fuel tax proceeds can only be used for highway purposes in accordance with our state constitution. That leaves vehicle fees as the sole major funding source for multimodal projects that empower pedestrians, bicyclists, transit users, and motorists to get where they want to go. State-level vehicle fee revenue pays for Amtrak Cascades intercity rail service, keeps our Washington State Patrol troopers on the beat, supports freight mobility infrastructure, and vital services like vanpools and transit grants for rural communities.

If we don’t defeat I-976, Eyman’s latest scheme, countless essential projects will be delayed or canceled, because the state doesn’t simply have any money sitting around to replace the lost billions. The cuts I-976 would necessitate will set back our efforts to invest in safer roads, earthquake-resistant bridges, and higher quality transit by two decades.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:13 AM

874 posts, read 332,007 times
Quote:

Ha!! Too funny!!

This was one of the topics that came up at work today. It was a small sample, but the 12 of us talking about the cost of vehicle registration, everybody said they’re voting yes, since this added “tax” wasn’t fair and was just another burden on working “non-tech” families... How many out of the twelve will actually vote? Who knows, but I think that this will be a close one.

Last edited by bergun; 10-30-2019 at 02:21 AM..

Old 10-30-2019, 08:47 AM

700 posts, read 1,034,031 times
If they raise the gas tax to make up for the lost revenue then I guess electric vehicles will be paying even less towards road maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area