U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 03:24 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,204,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I-976 would not be passing if not for the way Sound Transit valued our vehicles in the ST3 scam.

Pierce County votes are 67% in favor of 976 where the ST3 vote 3 years ago had failed but passed due to King and Snohomish County votes. This time Snohomish County voted in favor of 976 at 62%. Though it's losing in King County, 44% still voted for it here. I'm sure that if sound transit had used a fair valuation method 976 would have failed badly. I have an $800 bill for the registration on a nearly 3 year old truck to pay for transit that won't reach us, the closest planned is 6 miles from us and that not until 2041.
^In a nutshell, there is why 976 passed. I'm in the same boat(pun intended), I had to cancel my vacation plans because the ferries to the islands this summer were booked full on weekends months in advance. Nice to know my tabs/taxes subsidize the others that filled those ferries up. Up here, we used to joke that the "dime is pretty thin" (additional gas tax purported to increase transportation projects-"see your dime at work") by the time it gets here because we've seen little improvements despite massive growth. What has come has been on the heels of fatality accident after fatality accident as the single lane highways have just become stuffed with people. It's time to localize the fee's and taxes. I would be more apt to vote *for* an additional LOCAL tax if I knew it was going to fund a LOCAL project that improved our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 03:28 PM
Status: "pray for democracy and freedom everlasting" (set 21 days ago)

4,889 posts, read 877,054 times
There are already a lot of murmurs about the 'deep state' inducing traffic congestion to punish the voters for 976.

Hemlock is spot on; they should have jettisoned the fraudulent MSRP valuation 20 years ago. They didn't, and 976 is the result.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:33 PM

700 posts, read 1,034,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
There are already a lot of murmurs about the 'deep state' inducing traffic congestion to punish the voters for 976.
I think we've safe, Chris Christie isn't our governor.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:54 PM

18,652 posts, read 11,560,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post

Hemlock is spot on; they should have jettisoned the fraudulent MSRP valuation 20 years ago. They didn't, and 976 is the result.
The deep state is the cause of traffic and not the hundreds of people moving here every week? Alrighty then. Maybe enough will get so frustrated, they move. That would help traffic too. Taking money away is guaranteed to make things worse, not better.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:37 PM

I agree with this entire article including:

"Now it’s true that both Pierce and Snohomish counties voted with Eyman, to repeal the taxes. Their votes were overwhelmed by King voting heavily the other way. This is hardly the first time we’ve had this same rift between neighbors — which brings me back to the “State of King.”

It’s time to cut those two counties out of the light-rail project. It’s not worth the endless political battling and decades of wasted resources on repeated votes just like this one.

This would mean scrapping the planned light-rail extensions to downtown Tacoma and Everett."

‘The State of King’: To achieve the mass transit dream, it’s time for King County to go it alone
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...o-go-it-alone/

And other locations shouldn't complain about the COL in Seattle. Living closer in WILL cost more. Living further out will be an ugly commute. The choice will be money or time. It is what it is but we shouldn't bother with the rest of the state and we should keep our tax dollars local and let the rest of the state fund their own infrastructure. As for Pierce and Snohomish? Sorry but the vote tells the story. Taking it to the District level would be even better so no voting district benefits if they aren't paying the taxes to support it.

Last edited by Seacove; 11-09-2019 at 12:59 PM..

Old 11-09-2019, 05:00 PM
Status: "pray for democracy and freedom everlasting" (set 21 days ago)

4,889 posts, read 877,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The deep state is the cause of traffic and not the hundreds of people moving here every week? Alrighty then. Maybe enough will get so frustrated, they move. That would help traffic too. Taking money away is guaranteed to make things worse, not better.
Yet another poster who tries to shove words into the mouths of others

Be careful, one day you could get a finger bit off doing that.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:18 PM

6,179 posts, read 4,105,888 times
I voted for 976, but believe it or not, I'm pro-road construction. What I don't care for is reckless spending by State government. As I posted earlier, the State will find other ways to get the construction projects done. Perhaps more cost effectively too, which would be a bonus. In the meantime, this whole thing is going to be challenged so nothing in WA politics is for certain.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I voted for 976, but believe it or not, I'm pro-road construction. What I don't care for is reckless spending by State government. As I posted earlier, the State will find other ways to get the construction projects done. Perhaps more cost effectively too, which would be a bonus. In the meantime, this whole thing is going to be challenged so nothing in WA politics is for certain.
So do you think transportation should be self-funded by county?
Do you think King county should have to send their tax dollars to other parts of the state if other parts of the state can prevent King county from funding their own mass transit in spite of the insane growth it's experiencing?
Would you agree that since Pierce and Snohomish supported 976, they should lose their rail projects and bus routes?
Do you think other parts of the state should have their road repairs de-prioritized since they think they have the right to control King county's own transit projects?
Would you agree that ferry rates should be quadrupled to Kitsap since they supported 976?
Should central and eastern Washington look at tolls for their road maintenance rather than expecting money bouquets from King County?

Being "pro-road construction" while also being "anti-tax" is humorous, which is fine, as long as the ones that don't want to be taxed are willing to give up their roads, maintenance, ferries and mass transit. This needs to get very specific so the right people are affected and the ones paying get to benefit, just like the Seattle Times article suggests.

Something will have to give - obviously. They will have dramatically less money and the counties that should lose are the counties that refuse to pay. It's not like Washington has a state tax. The money has to come from somewhere and it appears a lot of Prop 976 supporters want to have their cake and eat it too. Are they willing to give up their own road projects, road maintenance and mass transit?

Last edited by Seacove; 11-09-2019 at 08:45 PM..

Old 11-09-2019, 09:19 PM

6,179 posts, read 4,105,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So do you think transportation should be self-funded by county?
Do you think King county should have to send their tax dollars to other parts of the state if other parts of the state can prevent King county from funding their own mass transit in spite of the insane growth it's experiencing?
Would you agree that since Pierce and Snohomish supported 976, they should lose their rail projects and bus routes?
Do you think other parts of the state should have their road repairs de-prioritized since they think they have the right to control King county's own transit projects?
Would you agree that ferry rates should be quadrupled to Kitsap since they supported 976?
Should central and eastern Washington look at tolls for their road maintenance rather than expecting money bouquets from King County?

Being "pro-road construction" while also being "anti-tax" is humorous, which is fine, as long as the ones that don't want to be taxed are willing to give up their roads, maintenance, ferries and mass transit. This needs to get very specific so the right people are affected and the ones paying get to benefit, just like the Seattle Times article suggests.

Something will have to give - obviously. They will have dramatically less money and the counties that should lose are the counties that refuse to pay. It's not like Washington has a state tax. The money has to come from somewhere and it appears a lot of Prop 976 supporters want to have their cake and eat it too. Are they willing to give up their own road projects, road maintenance and mass transit?
Nope, you missed my point. Road construction and general transportation improvements can be made without increasing taxes. The State budget is already funding these projects. Additional taxes are not needed at this time. Washington government is giddy with spending. There is so much waste it is ridiculous.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Nope, you missed my point. Road construction and general transportation improvements can be made without increasing taxes. The State budget is already funding these projects. Additional taxes are not needed at this time. Washington government is giddy with spending. There is so much waste it is ridiculous.
I am not trying to be unreasonable. I'm simply saying if the other parts of Washington don't want to pay, they shouldn't get to benefit. Western Washington shouldn't be sending Eastern Washington a single penny and I don't expect Eastern Washington to send us a cent either. If Kitsap doesn't want to pay, they should see increased ferry rates. King County needs to address the massive growth we are experiencing. We should be able to fund that. Saying "there's waste!" when we don't even have a state income tax is being unrealistic. Snohomish and Pierce don't want to pay? That's fine, remove their rail projects and bus routes.

There are going to need to be dramatic cuts after this vote. We just need to make sure the cuts fall in the places that supported Prop 976. IMO having a high car registration but no state income tax is an easy choice but clearly others want to have it both ways. That's fine as long as they realize they will pay the price in other ways including even longer commute times, fewer and more expensive ferries, fewer roads, road repairs and road improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area