U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2019, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 4,388 times

Advertisements

Hey friends - having visited Seattle a few times over the years, I started applying for tech industry jobs in Seattle and Bellevue. I have a few promising leads with a few companies in the Bellevue area. I am in my 30's, own some properties in Austin, TX (where I live currently - selling one, renting the other). My girlfriend is coming with me and is a data scientist.

We have family in north Renton and they're saying that's a good area to live, but I heard living north of Bellevue is the way to go.

Here are our 'wants':
- 30-40 min commute to downtown Bellevue with traffic (the employers I'm talking to have talked about flex hours to avoid traffic, not sure what that looks like)
- 3bd house/townhome
- backyard for small dog
- at least a 1 car garage
- $2600-2700/mn rent max
- not ghetto
- not too far from grocery stores, dining, bars, places to bike

From window shopping on Zillow, I'm finding a few in Newcastle, E Bellevue and Redmond. But of course, window shopping only shows so much. Just seeing if there are other areas or neighborhoods yall would recommend.

Last edited by MLOS; 10-24-2019 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 03:16 PM

7,155 posts, read 9,262,739 times
Real ghettos don't really exist in the Seattle area except a few places in south Seattle.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:27 PM

6,157 posts, read 4,890,052 times
Hi MLOS, Newcastle isn't very bikeable, it's rather hilly with big roads cutting through. I think East Bellevue/Crossroads/Lake Hills area would be a good fit for you.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:38 PM

1,528 posts, read 2,150,186 times
Would stay east of Lake WA, and north of I-90 for traffic reasons. Otherwise, it's all very nice and safe. Needing a yard is going to limit your pool enough so that it pays to be flexible. The closer you get to DT Bellevue or Kirkland or Redmond (or some body of water), the nicer it's going to be.

A slightly less expensive (relatively speaking) part of Bellevue, with excellent commutability, is the Crossroads area around NE 8th & 156th Ave NE. It's just south of Microsoft, very diverse, safe, and lots of shopping. It's also full of slightly older (post WWII) houses. They tend to be smaller and single story, but they often have big yards. The residential areas have lots of people out biking and walking, and you won't pay the same premium as you would closer in. Your neighbors will likely work at MS, the restaurants and bars tend to be more neighborhood hangout vs urban trendy, and there is a huge array of different cuisines to chose from. Commuting to DT Bellevue can be done via Rapid Ride B, and light rail is going in just to the north. In heavy traffic, the commute is ~25 minutes (otherwise ~15).

Old 10-24-2019, 05:18 PM

6,157 posts, read 4,890,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Would stay east of Lake WA, and north of I-90 for traffic reasons. Otherwise, it's all very nice and safe. Needing a yard is going to limit your pool enough so that it pays to be flexible. The closer you get to DT Bellevue or Kirkland or Redmond (or some body of water), the nicer it's going to be.

A slightly less expensive (relatively speaking) part of Bellevue, with excellent commutability, is the Crossroads area around NE 8th & 156th Ave NE. It's just south of Microsoft, very diverse, safe, and lots of shopping. It's also full of slightly older (post WWII) houses. They tend to be smaller and single story, but they often have big yards. The residential areas have lots of people out biking and walking, and you won't pay the same premium as you would closer in. Your neighbors will likely work at MS, the restaurants and bars tend to be more neighborhood hangout vs urban trendy, and there is a huge array of different cuisines to chose from. Commuting to DT Bellevue can be done via Rapid Ride B, and light rail is going in just to the north. In heavy traffic, the commute is ~25 minutes (otherwise ~15).
Completely agree with Kayela, have to love all different ethnicities playing chess at Crossroads Mall. Here is a link to Lake Hills Park as well as a sidebar with all the other Bellevue parks: https://bellevuewa.gov/city-governme...community-park

Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 PM

4,256 posts, read 3,437,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOS View Post
Hey friends - having visited Seattle a few times over the years, I started applying for tech industry jobs in Seattle and Bellevue.

Here are our 'wants':
- 30-40 min commute to downtown Bellevue with traffic (the employers I'm talking to have talked about flex hours to avoid traffic, not sure what that looks like)
- 3bd house/townhome
- backyard for small dog
- at least a 1 car garage
- $2600-2700/mn rent max
- not ghetto
- not too far from grocery stores, dining, bars, places to bike

From window shopping on Zillow, I'm finding a few in Newcastle, E Bellevue and Redmond. But of course, window shopping only shows so much. Just seeing if there are other areas or neighborhoods y'all would recommend.
Your window shopping is not the worst idea ever. Back when I did it, decades ago (wow!), it was easier. I landed in Redmond, for a job with World's Largest Software Corporation. Stayed a year and a half, made an investment in an up and coming area, did more wheeling and dealing of properties o'er the years. Before it all got way, WAY out of hand on the Eastside where a million bucks will today buy you a nice, not spectacular, place in good parts of town. Best schools are areas are heinous money.

I liked Redmond and still do. It's growing and changing, all sorts of condos sprouting up. Might want to give that a go. Not sure it ever had much "character" per se, but I made the best of what there was including walks on the slough, shopping at the couple plazas nearby (Bella Bottega and similar). No real complaints, it's kicked back, still.

For something to do, get on 85th westbound until it dead ends / turns into Market, heart of Kirkland. I couldn't be dragged away from about a mile north of downtown, or anywhere in the general vicinity. Tons to do and beautiful ...if not gorgeous...rolling hills.

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 10-24-2019 at 05:39 PM..

Old 10-25-2019, 08:30 AM

1,358 posts, read 1,941,732 times
The influence of the tech industry on the Eastside (from North Renton to Issaquah and up north to include Bellevue, Redmond, and Kirkland) is a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, the influence of six-figure salaries on a wide swath of the populace means that -- for the most part -- you will not see ghettos in this area.

The bad part of that is that there is no downward price pressure in this part of the market. Everything is expensive because there are so many people here making six-figure salaries who are competing with people who pay cash for million dollar properties.

I said all that to say this: prepare yourself for not getting everything that you want. Your price point is possible but not probable ... because you have so many people here already hunting for properties in that price point, it's likely that the stock you will find will be on the older and not-as-desirable end of things. Up that amount by about $300/mo and you can most likely get nearly all that you want (including the commute).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or