U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 08:26 PM

80,130 posts, read 73,100,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Why don't people in Seattle like natural light? That is the most important thing for me when looking for a home.
I've wondered about this, too. Bedrooms in Seattle tend to have small, almost cell-like windows, unless they're much older, Craftsman-style houses, or something. Maybe it has to do with keeping in the heat, in wintertime?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 11:03 PM

370 posts, read 159,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've wondered about this, too. Bedrooms in Seattle tend to have small, almost cell-like windows, unless they're much older, Craftsman-style houses, or something. Maybe it has to do with keeping in the heat, in wintertime?
I've heard it's a combination of that and the trend of keeping the bedroom strictly for sleeping. It drives people into the defined living space to do everything else and leaves the bedroom for relaxing and privacy (in addition to maintaining the room temperature as Ruth noted). I've had to deal with the giant Craftsman windows that seem to suck the cold in and cost an small fortune to replace when a tree branch finds its way through.

Honestly I feel that most new builds of every kind around the country have less window space when compared to homes built over 20+ years ago. Part of it may be attempts to keep the spaces quiet since builds get crowded together and reduce the amount of private space; but LED lighting and such have helped indoor electric lighting to be less burdensome (more outlets, less expensive products) so people are better able to light their homes however it best works for them.
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or