U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 09:05 AM

6,258 posts, read 6,078,626 times

Advertisements

And in the end
The love you take
is equal to the love you make ~ The Beatles tune 'The End' from the Abbey Road album

Yeah, I get ya'all, and, in the end, enjoy what you like. Enjoy your house, car, job, city, town, mountains, and even your bad motor scooter. I think I get what you guys like about soccer, but, I was photographed with a basketball in one arm and a football in my other arm when I was 1 year old. My Dad was a basketball coach at Bothell High School and a college player at PLU in Tacoma when it was PLC. Sports were huge ta Dad and it showed. I took it on and enjoyed those teams sports and passed the love of sports down to my son.

I went to a soccer practice when I was about 13 at Lynndale Park in Lynnwood, which was about a mile or so from the home in Edmonds I grew up in. I was completely like a fish outta water. I never picked the soccer bug up and my parents just went "uhh, well...I guess soccer isn't for you." And that was that. I have so many sports games I watch and pertinent teams I love and follow that soccer just seems a tad like those Toyota Priuses or Nissan Leafs (Leaves?). It (soccer) or those (Prius' and Leaves) are for someone else and it's cool that you like or love them, but, they just "ain't my cup a tea, man!"

Enjoy the Sounder's and whoever else or whatever else you like and love. I agree, this is not a subject ta get all snarky about and, I'll say this: if it's a Seattle team then I'm really happy they are successful!

Go Huskies and Seahawk's and...Mariners? Tee-hee. Yeah, even go Mariner's!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 10:06 AM

5,534 posts, read 5,351,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoTime View Post
Wake up, you clueless fools.

Where else does a team play .470 ball and win the championship without even a legitimate shot at the goal?

Christ, if we just dumbed down baseball we could bring it to the Mariners’ .470 (or .370) level and host the championship here every year.

Instead we at least respect tradition without needing to water-down the competition in order to get it to a local level.

Soccer is just simply BOOOOOORING...

and appropriate only for neighborhoods which collectively can’t afford any sports equipment beyond the community ball.

Not to mention that soccer is far more dangerous to spectators than any big league sport.

Nobody cares about that sh**
I agree with you that the technical quality of MLS rivals about a 3rd/4th division league in England, right now, but I'm optimistic/pessimistic that will change in another generation. First of all, I'm learning that Premier teams are switching ownership to Americans ...American billionaire Stan Kroenke who got his money through his marriage with a Walton has majority ownership of Arsenal (if you want to get a hit in the face tell an Arsenal fan his club is owned by Walmart! ).

Also, as a mom of a 13 year old soccer player, I'm swimming through youth soccer programs right now and I'm seeing lots and lots of international coaches from soccer-loving countries (cause clearly this thread demonstrates that America isn't one of them...yet). My son's coach is from Liverpool and went to the Liverpool Academy. Half the staff is British and there is a South African with them too. With the US women's team kicking everyone else's arses there are a TON of young American soccer-loving girls and women that will grow up to become aggressive and unyielding soccer moms.

And don't forget that many parents are starting to really frown on American football because of the head injuries. I know parents that are turning their kids away for this one reason alone.

And you mention cost: Well, if you think it's so affordable, you're more than welcome to shell out the $10k I'm expected to pay out this year for my son's soccer club. That's $2k to join the league, $500 for the kit, $60 per local tournament (there are 6-7), $2000 for out-of-state tournament. And then all the incidentals for "local" games with "local" encompassing places like Spokane and Yakima.

And he's not even on the top team yet.. which requires "moderate" travel ... brings up the cost to $16,000

And if he ever makes the ECNL team... I'm not sure, but it's described as having "heavy" travel. I estimate it could be like $25,000-30,000.

But the hope with soccer is that it doesn't require upper middle class incomes.. some of the best players in the world were discovered in slums.. but don't kid yourself thinking that the majority of top league players come from squalor..

Old 11-03-2019, 01:17 PM

747 posts, read 372,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
This guy Mondo is just trolling. So many inaccuracies in his post. SMH.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:56 PM

7,168 posts, read 9,273,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
This guy Mondo is just trolling. So many inaccuracies in his post. SMH.
He does this in almost all Sounders threads. Just a hater.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:54 PM

6,205 posts, read 4,120,507 times
As a Seattle native, I will root for all teams from my birthplace. I don't discriminate due to their perceived acceptance among the masses. Whether it be MLS, WNBA, minor league hockey, MLB, or NFL, I always root for my home team. This includes the Washington Huskies, though they are stretching my patience this year!

Go Sounders!

Old 11-04-2019, 03:32 PM

2,404 posts, read 512,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

And you mention cost: Well, if you think it's so affordable, you're more than welcome to shell out the $10k I'm expected to pay out this year for my son's soccer club. That's $2k to join the league, $500 for the kit, $60 per local tournament (there are 6-7), $2000 for out-of-state tournament. And then all the incidentals for "local" games with "local" encompassing places like Spokane and Yakima.

And he's not even on the top team yet.. which requires "moderate" travel ... brings up the cost to $16,000

And if he ever makes the ECNL team... I'm not sure, but it's described as having "heavy" travel. I estimate it could be like $25,000-30,000.

But the hope with soccer is that it doesn't require upper middle class incomes.. some of the best players in the world were discovered in slums.. but don't kid yourself thinking that the majority of top league players come from squalor..
I had no idea it cost so much to play soccer these days. During my youth all you needed was a uniform and parents willing to drive you somewhere. But for a youngster it's a fun sport to just play pick-up games; all you need is a ball and a field, then just go run around and enjoy the exercise.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I had no idea it cost so much to play soccer these days. During my youth all you needed was a uniform and parents willing to drive you somewhere. But for a youngster it's a fun sport to just play pick-up games; all you need is a ball and a field, then just go run around and enjoy the exercise.
It can be a lot cheaper if just doing recreation level. The issue is these private clubs prey on parental insecurities and children's innocent aspirations. At information night they highlight the couple kids who went on to play on some mediocre team in some small university that nobody's ever heard of. With a partial scholarship at best.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:48 PM

7,168 posts, read 9,273,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
It can be a lot cheaper if just doing recreation level. The issue is these private clubs prey on parental insecurities and children's innocent aspirations. At information night they highlight the couple kids who went on to play on some mediocre team in some small university that nobody's ever heard of. With a partial scholarship at best.
As far as I know all of this is free in the academies of European clubs. The football clubs pay for all of that cost but only the most talented children are admitted. They develop the players for the future and hope they sell them for a high price. The American system is of course backwards.

Last edited by Botev1912; 11-04-2019 at 09:00 PM..

Old 11-04-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
As far as I know all of this is free in the academies of European clubs. The football clubs pay for all of that cost but only the most talented children are admitted. They develop the players for the future and hope they sell them for a high price. The American system is of course backwards.
Not surprised. Like with health care and higher education this country will capitalize and profit from everything it can.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:04 AM

705 posts, read 1,036,183 times
Yep, in England I played in the local team every week for the price of the half-time oranges. Local business supplied the shirts, local councils supplied the fields. "Jumpers for goalposts" is not just a saying, it's how we played in the streets.

In the US, it costs hundreds just for a few weeks and the ref is a 15 year old. Not that soccer is unusual in that regard, all US sports are insanely expensive anywhere above the recreational level. It's like they decided to make a business out of parents who want their kids to become sports stars. It has to be a single income family since one parent has to travel with the child to events on weekdays, but high enough to afford the thousands just to have them on the team, matching custom outfits, then the thousands in travel costs. My kids teams also had some crazy scheme to buy all the kids junk for every competition event, which added on pointless hundreds more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or