U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 08:50 AM

6,157 posts, read 4,891,988 times

Advertisements

I've just reached 30 years living in Western Washington, drove my aging college car out alone here from the East Coast as a 23 year old in 1989 with a crazy PNW dream and $200 in my bank account. I've seen the Kingdome implode, witnessed Payton to Kemp Supersonics thrilling alleyoops, seen the I-90 bridge crack up and go to the bottom of the lake. I heard early grunge at the Croc, knew Belltown when it was just artists' studios and hardly anyone lived there, Ballard when I could buy Dungeness crab behind someone's house near Shilshole and there were 10 Scandinavian stores. The changes have been immense in my lifetime but I can still find a tree, a trail, a little place I've known for years. People ask "do you like where you live?" My answer: No place is perfect but I love it most of the time. Thank you Seattle and Western Washington for making a place for me all those years ago and each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 02:26 AM

416 posts, read 103,969 times
Yes indeed, good call OP, we've had enough Seattle hate threads around here!

28 years for myself, got here in 1991 from So. Cal with a backpack and $150.

I had a job two days after arriving downtown that included meals, and I found pretty good camping at Coal Creek in Factoria, an easy commute from my job.

Later I discovered Issaquah and moved there, my favorite small town in America.

Seattle has been very good to me! I love the weather and the beautiful greenery associated.

Eventually I started my own business and retired in my early 50s, never saw that for myself in the grid-locked So. Cal rat-race!

A good income, more money in the bank than I know what to spend it on, a retirement property paid off with a 1400 year old cedar tree and a huge pile of coin silver I've accumulated.

Seattle... I LOVE YOU!

Thx

Old 11-03-2019, 07:42 AM

6,256 posts, read 6,070,082 times
I've just reached 30 years living in Western Washington, drove my aging college car out alone here from the East Coast as a 23 year old in 1989 with a crazy PNW dream and $200 in my bank account. I've seen the Kingdome implode, witnessed Payton to Kemp Supersonics thrilling alleyoops, seen the I-90 bridge crack up and go to the bottom of the lake. I heard early grunge at the Croc, knew Belltown when it was just artists' studios and hardly anyone lived there, Ballard when I could buy Dungeness crab behind someone's house near Shilshole and there were 10 Scandinavian stores. The changes have been immense in my lifetime but I can still find a tree, a trail, a little place I've known for years. People ask "do you like where you live?" My answer: No place is perfect but I love it most of the time. Thank you Seattle and Western Washington for making a place for me all those years ago and each day.

I will always love Seattle and guys, I really appreciate the happy with Seattle stories. They're not made up, though, I can tell. You guys really love Seattle, and you describe your personal situations well. And that is great! Enjoy the cool, crisp Pacific Northwest air, the Pike Place Market, Seattle Seahawk football, Seattle Mariner baseball, U of Washington football and basketball, Mt.Rainier in all her huge glory, America's most beautiful skyline, Dick's Drive-In, the Big Four Ice Caves, the North Cascades Highway, skiing all over the Cascade Range, the view of the skyline from West Seattle, Shilshole Bay Marina, the Everett Marina (the 2nd largest boat moorage spot on the West Coast), Highway 99 north out of Seattle to Edmonds and Everett, great seafood and everything else and anything else that's on your favorite's list.

The list of superlatives associated with my birthtown is not a short one.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:08 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,301,068 times
What a cheerful thread. Thanks guys.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:58 AM

1,338 posts, read 414,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Even though I feel marginalized now, I want to say this was the best city in the US to grow up in, and we had our little gem hidden for the longest time. Gems sparkle don't they? That sparkle caught the nation's attention, and our secret was out. Everyone has fallen in love with Seattle, but I wish some hadn't. Where are we going? Blue collar, rights of the people fading into the past.
We still pull over for emergency vehicles though. We still have respect, and I like that. I will always love Washington, with an emphasis on Seattle.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:00 AM

1,338 posts, read 414,753 times
Default Showing Love for the 206

I love the change of seasons.
I love our lakes, ponds, rivers, creeks, tributaries, sloughs and THE OCEAN.
I love the ability of Washingtonians to bend w/out breaking.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:54 PM

12,725 posts, read 11,611,516 times
We still love it going on 3 years...you already know why.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 AM

6,179 posts, read 4,105,888 times
Oh, gawd, another thread for me to get sentimental about.

Born in Swedish Hospital on Capital Hill about five+ decades ago. Grew up in the northend, but still in-city. Loved everything about Seattle when I was 10 years old. Husky football, lots of playfields around our house, new big buildings going up downtown.

Loved everything about Seattle when I was 20 years old. First good job in my profession. City was changing, becoming more gentrified, tech was just starting to become a "fringe" industry. Major league sports were in place.

Loved everything about Seattle when I was 30 years old. Big skyline developing, Microsoft had a presence, grunge music was the Seattle sound. What was there to dislike?

Moved away for career. Contemplated coming back many times, but the career wouldn't allow it. Finally, settled in semi-retirement, and narrowed my choices to Seattle or Tri-Cities. By then, Seattle had become too expensive so I chose Tri-Cities, because even though I am a Seattle native, I do thrive on sunshine. And I could afford a nice place to live.

That is my story, and I am sticking to it. But I also thank Seattle for making me a reasonably good person who respects not only the city but all the values I learned growing up and living there.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:24 PM

3,218 posts, read 3,180,481 times
Okay, you guys convinced me! Seattle here I come! Goodbye California!

Old 11-11-2019, 01:33 PM

6,157 posts, read 4,891,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Okay, you guys convinced me! Seattle here I come! Goodbye California!
It's not perfect here Podo, we struggle with homelessness and traffic just like you do. There is a lot to like though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or