Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 10:25 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,412,870 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I have an opportunity in front of me to relocate to Seattle metro for a pretty solid career move in the Orillia area - our HH income is projected to be around $200k (possibly more - my wife works for herself and her income fluctuates, I'm intentionally estimating on the low side). We're coming from Kentucky, but are open-minded and politically moderate and we prefer to live under our means. I know the cost of living is going to go up quite a bit, but we're looking for neighborhoods that are within 30-50 minutes (drive or public transport) of Tukwila (closer the better ideally) that are still "affordable" and have limited crime issues. Ideally a Trader Joe's would be somewhat nearby and a Costco.

We love bourbon, good mid/low-price non-chain restaurants, some walkability and don't have any kids or outdoor pets. We love to drive 2-3 hours on weekends for short getaways to explore and learn about small towns and unique activities and also enjoy baseball games (so we'll certainly catch a M's game or three).

Is there train access to downtown from anywhere other than the airport? I remember doing that route once on a prior visit to the Fish Market/Needle area.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 12:35 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,063,404 times
Here's the current light rail map -

In the next year or two it will expand northward by a few miles, but further extensions will be years in coming.

Are you looking to rent or buy? That would make some difference in your location options, but if it was me I'd probably start in two south-end areas, Burien and Renton. Burien is an up-and-coming district south and west of the airport, and the "old town" central area is becoming VERY popular, with numerous pubs, cafes, clubs and other things all over. It's low key and funky, and has become one of our favorite destinations.

Renton is similar. It has a working-class rep, but of late it's become quite a fun place, with expanded shopping, restaurants and other activities, particularly around the south end of Lake Washington near the big Boeing plant (with its acres and acres of stored 737MAX planes awaiting their fates.) Like Burien, downtown Renton has an old-school feel, and in general, things are still fairly affordable (in Seattle region terms.)

I'd look at both of them.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:22 AM

8,157 posts, read 8,215,140 times
I'd vote for Burien!

Old 11-03-2019, 07:25 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,426,342 times
My first thought for this person was Burien.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:03 PM

I think renting for the first year probably makes the most sense, but I think if we found the right neighborhood for us that buying a condo/townhouse wouldn't be out of the question, but they'd have to accept cats. We have one indoor cat.

Burien seems to not have a Costco nearby but that's not a deal breaker. I'll be in town in a few weeks and will check both areas out.

What about places like Maple Valley/Heights or Bryn Mawr Skyway?

Old 11-03-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I think renting for the first year probably makes the most sense, but I think if we found the right neighborhood for us that buying a condo/townhouse wouldn't be out of the question, but they'd have to accept cats. We have one indoor cat.

Burien seems to not have a Costco nearby but that's not a deal breaker. I'll be in town in a few weeks and will check both areas out.

What about places like Maple Valley/Heights or Bryn Mawr Skyway?
Burien has a Trader and Costco really isn't that far away (Southcenter or near Georgetown South Seattle). Maple Valley is a nice place but would needlessly add to your commute. Bryn Mawr, Skyway area would be a better geographic fit, keep in mind that those areas can be unincorporated King County, therefore services (police, etc) not as prompt. Rainier Beach is pretty hot right now, especially the area close to Lake Washington.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:27 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,298,051 times
For a transit commute, not a bad idea to look at places that are a one-seat ride away. Your wife could probably drop you off. For instance:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/SE+1...1572854760!3e3

Old 11-03-2019, 10:42 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,298,051 times
For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...96686904_zpid/

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/1830...1572854760!3e3

Old 11-06-2019, 10:29 PM

Can anyone tell me about Des Moines/Redondo? I believe that my wife has seen a few properties that she really likes for us to rent near the water.

Last edited by ServoMiff; 11-06-2019 at 10:48 PM..

Old 11-06-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Can anyone tell me about Des Moines? I believe that my wife has seen a few properties that she really likes for us to rent near the water.
Saltwater State Park and the Des Moines Marina are really nice. The farther you can get away from Hwy 99, the better. Always best to knock on a few doors, ask the neighbors to give you honest opinions of the neighborhood. Whether buying or renting, that's a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area