U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 2,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Anomalies will become the norm. It's alarming that the drought conditions of the ever-longer summers (now beginning in May) are extending into, or re-appearing in, late fall/early winter. The NW can muddle through summer droughts (though not without significant stress to the trees and soil), but when those conditions become year-round, if only sporadically year-round, what then?

Let us hope and pray, that western WA isn't climatically becoming California. There's an awful lot of fire fuel in them that forests. Be d@mn careful what you wish for!
This is weather, not climate. Dry streaks happen and so do wet spells. Neither instance provides much evidence of climate change, which is measured on an entirely different timescale. Climate averages are based around on anomalies. Perfectly static weather does not exist, and never has or will.

And I encourage you to actually research climate data if it's an issue that concerns you so much. There isn't really any evidence to support a link between drier falls (or years) and warming temperatures in the PNW, as decades of actual weather data go to show. Rather than spreading hyperbole and alarmism, try dedicating your time on the issue to understanding and research.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 05:36 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,143,605 times
I've had a over 50 autumns here and remember a number that were brighter and dryer than most- almost all the way to Thanksgiving.

No apologies or guilt for enjoying this one.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:54 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,301,068 times
It's my fault. Drought wherever I go.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:56 PM

234 posts, read 111,107 times
week or 2 is not a drought enjoy the dry weather its rare around here

Old 11-07-2019, 07:08 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,354,523 times
It worries me. I want my rain back.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:44 PM

5,505 posts, read 5,340,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruityfred11 View Post
This is weather, not climate. Dry streaks happen and so do wet spells. Neither instance provides much evidence of climate change, which is measured on an entirely different timescale. Climate averages are based around on anomalies. Perfectly static weather does not exist, and never has or will.

And I encourage you to actually research climate data if it's an issue that concerns you so much. There isn't really any evidence to support a link between drier falls (or years) and warming temperatures in the PNW, as decades of actual weather data go to show. Rather than spreading hyperbole and alarmism, try dedicating your time on the issue to understanding and research.
Only time will answer if it is hyperbole, not you...

Old 11-07-2019, 07:53 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,093,130 times
It feels wonderful to be without so much rain. Please take the rain be where people pray for it.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:13 PM

80,130 posts, read 73,100,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruityfred11 View Post

I know this. But today's weather can become the next decade's climate. This could be the beginning of a trend; we won't know until years down the line. But I find it worrisome. I don't think this dry spell is limited to the PacNW. I think it may be related to the high front off of CA, prevention rain from reaching that state. It's possible, that global climate changes will be less localized than before. In any case, we'll find out eventually.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Only time will answer if it is hyperbole, not you...

Sounds like some very scientific logic you have there!

Old 11-07-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know this. But today's weather can become the next decade's climate. This could be the beginning of a trend; we won't know until years down the line. But I find it worrisome. I don't think this dry spell is limited to the PacNW. I think it may be related to the high front off of CA, prevention rain from reaching that state. It's possible, that global climate changes will be less localized than before. In any case, we'll find out eventually.

Luckily we already have decades of data to pour through if we wish to determine whether a climate trend may be emerging.

As an example, precipitation has been measured in the same location at Seatac since 1945. The decade by decade data suggests no long term trends or strong link to temperature warming

Seattle average annual precipitation by decade

2010-18: 42.92"
2000-09: 36.24"
1990-99: 39.93"
1980-89: 34.93
1970-79: 37.22"
1960-69: 38.89"
1950-59: 41.72"
1945-49: 39.27"

No clear long term trend, and this decade has actually been the wettest one to date. In other words, nothing would suggest that the PNW is fast becoming California weather-wise. And it's also no shock that we are experiencing a drier year in 2019, as it represents something of a regression to the mean after a very long wet stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or