U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 05:32 PM

6,157 posts, read 4,891,988 times

Advertisements

"Raindrops are not falling on our heads, which instead has likely been replaced by head-scratching for longtime Seattleites who are accustomed to it raining on nearly every day in November.

But not this year, where the rare autumn dry streak has a chance to outdo summer!

And to think, the weekend of Oct. 20-21 had several inches of rain fall in the Cascades with some moderate flooding on the Snoqualmie and Snohomish Rivers. Another weather system blew through on the 25th, dropping about a third of an inch of rain in Seattle.

Then the rain. Just. Stopped.

Seattle has not had measurable rainfall since the 25th --an impressive streak of 12 days (through Wednesday) that would make waves in any season, much less the start of the stormy season. In fact, a 12-day dry streak currently rates as the third-longest dry streak of the entire year!"

Link here: https://komonews.com/weather/scotts-...st-of-the-year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 07:37 PM

234 posts, read 111,107 times
great hope it lasts all month

Old 11-07-2019, 09:33 AM

2,311 posts, read 490,180 times
It's been pleasant, if cold, walking in to work this month. Hopefully we'll still get the necessary snow pack in the mountains.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:52 AM

80,125 posts, read 73,100,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
"Raindrops are not falling on our heads, which instead has likely been replaced by head-scratching for longtime Seattleites who are accustomed to it raining on nearly every day in November.

But not this year, where the rare autumn dry streak has a chance to outdo summer!

And to think, the weekend of Oct. 20-21 had several inches of rain fall in the Cascades with some moderate flooding on the Snoqualmie and Snohomish Rivers. Another weather system blew through on the 25th, dropping about a third of an inch of rain in Seattle.

Then the rain. Just. Stopped.

Seattle has not had measurable rainfall since the 25th --an impressive streak of 12 days (through Wednesday) that would make waves in any season, much less the start of the stormy season. In fact, a 12-day dry streak currently rates as the third-longest dry streak of the entire year!"

Link here: https://komonews.com/weather/scotts-...st-of-the-year
Not something to get giddy about. Just another reminder, that we've toasted the planet. You know we're in trouble, when Seattle's dry not only through an extended summer, but in the hitherto dependably wet winter as well.

Major trouble.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
great hope it lasts all month
Be careful what you wish for.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:11 AM

416 posts, read 103,969 times
Yes, I agree with Ruth, not happy with the dry fall, I like the misty mornings, but we need some rain to keep things green.

I hope this is an "anomaly," but I am afraid this might be what we get with climate change, not having rain up here is change all right.

Thx

Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
Yes, I agree with Ruth, not happy with the dry fall, I like the misty mornings, but we need some rain to keep things green.

I hope this is an "anomaly," but I am afraid this might be what we get with climate change, not having rain up here is change all right.

Thx
Anomalies will become the norm. It's alarming that the drought conditions of the ever-longer summers (now beginning in May) are extending into, or re-appearing in, late fall/early winter. The NW can muddle through summer droughts (though not without significant stress to the trees and soil), but when those conditions become year-round, if only sporadically year-round, what then?

Let us hope and pray, that western WA isn't climatically becoming California. There's an awful lot of fire fuel in them that forests. Be d@mn careful what you wish for!

Old 11-07-2019, 10:37 AM

416 posts, read 103,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Anomalies will become the norm. It's alarming that the drought conditions of the ever-longer summers (now beginning in May) are extending into, or re-appearing in, late fall/early winter. The NW can muddle through summer droughts (though not without significant stress to the trees and soil), but when those conditions become year-round, if only sporadically year-round, what then?

Let us hope and pray, that western WA isn't climatically becoming California. There's an awful lot of fire fuel in them that forests. Be d@mn careful what you wish for!

Don't I know it, I've got a pretty large tree I wouldn't want to see burn or just wither. (700 gallons of water a day consumed!)

The dry forests will get even dryer and perhaps one day the rain forest will have large and frequent fires, the rain forest depends on soggy conditions as a natural and constant fire retardant.

I was hoping for a wet summer/early fall this year, I get glum when I see clear skies!

Thx

Old 11-07-2019, 10:48 AM

5,505 posts, read 5,340,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

We are only at the start of the meteorological rain year.. not a very good start indeed. Meteorologists know better than to opine about implications for next summer/wildfire season, as we do have plenty of time to make up for this. This is true...

But I'm concerned that if we ended up like recent years and get another dry spell in mid-winter (last year it was January and again in mid-March) we will not have built up an adequate snowpack. We've had recent experience with both low snowpack and earlier summer temperatures and in 2015 we experienced both. We know that summers like these are uncomfortable and anxiety-ridden at best or, worse, they're uncomfortable, anxiety-ridden, dangerous and tragic. It's unfortunate that we even think of such unpleasantness so early in the (meteorological) year, but not unexpected..

Old 11-07-2019, 10:58 AM

733 posts, read 1,242,797 times
This fall has been absolutely beautiful but we really need the rain. Looking forward to when it returns. One of the reasons we moved to the area four years ago was for the cooler wet weather. I'm starting to realize that the people who claim it's rainy, cold and gloomy for 10 months a year are just lying to get people not to move here. Either that or they are from warm sunny climates originally and can't deal with a few months of spring like weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or