Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 05:07 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post

I really like most things about the area, overall we actually have some of the best weather in the country: clouds give us a sun shade in summer and a blanket in winter...

And without rain you can't have all this:

I love the misty mornings.

Again, glad you are happy in Seattle and our area, I do believe a lot of the talk of "freeze" is more a product of the age of "devices."

And all big cities are going to have more of that than suburbs or out on the countryside.

Thx
Could you provide captions to the photos, so we can know what we're looking at, and where it is?

The giant cedars are the redwoods of the Northwest. Are those old-growth, btw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 05:36 PM

464 posts, read 286,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could you provide captions to the photos, so we can know what we're looking at, and where it is?

Those pics are from the Hoh River area, here is a guide to hiking Washington's big trees.

https://www.visitportangeles.com/8-g...pic-peninsula/

I picked those trees in the last picture because they most closely resemble my own tree.

And oh yes, trees like that have been here for a long time.

"The western red-cedar: The western red-cedar is a tree that continues to surpass the others. Not only is it the largest tree in the Pacific Northwest, it is also one of the longest lived tree species in western Washington. Some western red-cedars have been recorded to reach 1,500 years of age.Jul 20, 2015"

Thx

Old 01-24-2020, 01:21 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Thanks all, and very awesome pics, THX!

I walked outside at around 11am today and it was pretty sunny out.

I think I'm gonna love living in Seattle.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
Those pics are from the Hoh River area, here is a guide to hiking Washington's big trees.

https://www.visitportangeles.com/8-g...pic-peninsula/

I picked those trees in the last picture because they most closely resemble my own tree.

And oh yes, trees like that have been here for a long time.

"The western red-cedar: The western red-cedar is a tree that continues to surpass the others. Not only is it the largest tree in the Pacific Northwest, it is also one of the longest lived tree species in western Washington. Some western red-cedars have been recorded to reach 1,500 years of age.Jul 20, 2015"

Thx
Thx, Thx! Being from NorCal, I'm a huge redwood fan. Western cedars fill the same ecological niche that the redwoods do, except they tolerate a somewhat colder climate. So I'm also a cedars fan. Visiting those trees on the Peninsula will be added to my to-see list. I've never been to Neah Bay, either, so hitting both in one trip sounds like a good idea.

The oldest redwoods are between 2000 & 3000+ years old. One advantage the redwoods have over cedars, is that they withstand fire quite well. That's an impressive evolutionary advantage. Redwoods have been around since at least the Eocene (50-34 million years ago), when the climate was so much warmer, that redwoods encircled the arctic. There are still redwood remains from that era in places like Scandinavia, Siberia, Greenland and Alaska.

I love Washington's cedars!

Old 01-25-2020, 11:36 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrath View Post
Welcome, hope the vagrancy and drug problems of seattle never touch you. Summers are nice weather wise, except going through any stairways or elevators that'll really smell. Avoid puddles in the summer because it'll probably be someone's ****, watch where you walk so you don't step on feces or needles. Don't keep anything in your car and keep the doors unlocked because the police won't even bother with a car break-in anymore, not even to come by to take a report. Be careful riding the rapid transit downtown due to the drugged out zombies that get on and spit/scream/pass out. You don't smell the **** and the feces right now because of the rain, but come summer, you will, especially in downtown/belltown.
Mercer Island doesn't have these problems.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:52 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
I hope you enjoyed your front row seat to the shooting downtown on Wednesday. You said you could see or hear it from where you live. It is only going to worsen because the “Progressives” you say you like don’t care about productive citizens like you.

Last edited by xPlorer48; 01-25-2020 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Wording

Old 01-31-2020, 05:42 PM

206 posts, read 186,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Fairly sure those are sequoias in the last pic. Are there sequoias in WA?

I'd like to know where that awesome waterfall is, the one with the man fishing.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:48 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

A lot of Seattle neighborhoods can say the same thing, calm, beautiful and safe. Most of the flashpoint areas are downtown and near I-5 underpasses. Granted you can have a few issues in other places, most of the locals (like any city) know which are the areas to have more caution in.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
Fairly sure those are sequoias in the last pic. Are there sequoias in WA?

I'd like to know where that awesome waterfall is, the one with the man fishing.
No. No redwoods in WA. And they don't look like redwoods, which have distinctive bark. The farthest north that redwoods are found is southern Oregon.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Neither do many parts of Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area