U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2020, 10:52 AM

750 posts, read 2,001,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi OneKC, Consider Historic North Everett. Charming, relatively affordable homes, waterfront right on Puget Sound, commuter rail right into Seattle, large hospital/medical presence for jobs. If you’ve lived through Midwest winters, it will seem like child’s play out here. About other costs: gas is more expensive, the taxes maintain bridges, roads and the ferry system. Sure, you can spend loads of money at boutique grocery stores, but you can also (like many of us do) shop at Costco, Grocery Outlet, Trader Joe’s and farmer’s markets. You can also drop $100 plus per person on fancy meals and $14 cocktails, but can also choose to have a $6 bowl of delicious pho (Vietnamese soup) in a little hole in the wall place. You could drop hundreds of dollars taking the fam to see a sporting event, or you could pack a picnic lunch and go take a beautiful hike to a NW waterfall for free. I’m a Miami boy originally, here 30 years now. This place isn’t perfect but I love it deeply and it has become the home I love. Olympia is a nice place but a little too far (IMO) from the urban amenities that make Seattle great. You might also have a look at Bothell, Burien and Renton as more affordable options. They all have redeeming qualities, getting a home that is a little older (though well built) can get you more square footage for the price.
There are better school districts than Everett. Especially if the OP's oldest is 11, school district will probably be high on the list when choosing a location.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 12:08 PM

20,900 posts, read 13,021,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
There are better school districts than Everett. Especially if the OP's oldest is 11, school district will probably be high on the list when choosing a location.
Maple Valley is known to have a great school district.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:25 PM

7,465 posts, read 6,176,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
I'd have to say CD, consider those for a job, but Everett, Tacoma and Olympia wouldn't be at the top of my list for living.

Not with the kind of income the OP mentions.

I never liked Everett especially, I bet the OP could do better than that.

Thx
More to work than to live, but each of the three cities have very nice areas with decent to good schools, with more house for the buck. Surrounding areas can also be appealing: Lake Stevens and Snohomish (Everett); University Place and Puyallup (Tacoma); Tumwater and Lacey (Olympia). If they love mountains, water, and trees, the Seattle area isn't the only place that has them.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Everett/61...1/home/2695958 (North Everett)

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Lake-Steve.../home/18909032 (Lake Stevens)

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Tacoma/101...6/home/2743826 (North Tacoma)

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Tacoma/401.../home/39903110 (Point Defiance)

https://www.redfin.com/WA/University...7/home/2805689 (University Place)

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Puyallup/1...4/home/3000460 (Puyallup)

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Olympia/86.../home/15741346 (Olympia)

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Lacey/6418.../home/15749731 (Lacey)

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Grapeview/.../home/16735540 (Grapeview)

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 02-09-2020 at 01:44 PM..

Old 02-09-2020, 12:51 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,359,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Which apartment complex? We were looking at Issaquah apartments down by I-90 before we found one on Mercer Island.
Not sure the name, but it's one of the older, smaller complexes that hug Issaquah Creek (there are quite a many that do). The newer developments (specifically the big one alongside 90 near Evergreen Ford/SR 900) wouldn't be affected.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:05 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,359,221 times
Quote:
Well, it seems things have changed quite a bit since I lived in Issaquah...

I lived down in the valley off of Sunset Way, in ten years, about 1995 to 2005, I recall very few power outages, maybe one every two to three years, and nothing even close to 30 hours...

Flooding, Issaquah Creek does flood about once a year, there is an old strip mall by Safeway that does get flooded, but the rest of the town stayed pretty dry. I do remember the creek flowing almost over the bridge by Dairygold, but let's not make it sound as though the whole town gets flooded, that's not remotely the case.

You make it sound like we have North Dakota weather.

Thx
Haha! But you expect bad weather in North Dakota! A lot of people come here (myself included) and think Twin Peaks and Sleepless in Seattle: a calm, but moody dark mist for 11 months of the year.

I'm originally from Tornado alley. We would get wild storms for sure, but they come and go quickly.. wind storms here can last for hours, if not the most of the day, which is qualitatively more like a hurricane and less like a tornado and likely why we get so many more power outages than either OK or TX. Sustained high winds create more opportunities for widespread grid damage.

Also the Highlands, which was only beginning development in 1995, is more susceptible to outages than other areas of the Issaquah.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:06 PM

8,654 posts, read 5,416,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
More to work than to live, but each of the three cities have very nice areas with decent to good schools, with more house for the buck. Surrounding areas can also be appealing: Lake Stevens and Snohomish (Everett); University Place and Puyallup (Tacoma); Tumwater and Lacey (Olympia). If they love mountains, water, and trees, the Seattle area isn't the only place that has them.
In fact if it's the mountains, water, and trees that are the attraction, there's lots of better places than Seattle to live to see and experience those.

Does Olympia have what you need from a city? It really depends what you like, OP.... I think we have all the major stores in the area, many forms of entertainment, and I don't think we're all that far from civilization should we ever really want it.

In some of the wider areas, you might be able to afford a nice big piece of property or a pretty view or waterfront instead of a crowded place in the city. Some people like that.

Good choices.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:20 PM

464 posts, read 164,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Haha! But you expect bad weather in North Dakota! A lot of people come here (myself included) and think Twin Peaks and Sleepless in Seattle: a calm, but moody dark mist for 11 months of the year.

I'm originally from Tornado alley. We would get wild storms for sure, but they come and go quickly.. wind storms here can last for hours, if not the most of the day, which is qualitatively more like a hurricane and less like a tornado and likely why we get so many more power outages than either OK or TX. Sustained high winds create more opportunities for widespread grid damage.

Also the Highlands, which was only beginning development in 1995, is more susceptible to outages than other areas of the Issaquah.

Texas and Oklahoma don't have as many trees as we do.

We get our annual wind storms, didn't get a power outage this time though.

In the 13 years I've been here at the far side of Maple Valley we've had about four or five, the second to last one was about 12 hours (they gave us a $50 credit) but the rest were about two hours.

(I just looked it up, the average Puget sound energy restoration time in 2017 was about 4 hours and 15 minutes.)

We get an annual wind storm one can count on and the occasional "sea squall" we may or may not get.

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 02-09-2020 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-09-2020, 01:27 PM

464 posts, read 164,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post

I guess I'm thinking of downtown Everett, and it has been 20 years since I've been there.

Old, decrepit buildings, downtown didn't exactly say "prosperity" to me.

I can remember some pretty squalid neighborhoods in Everett, maybe they cleaned it up.

Thx

Old 02-09-2020, 01:49 PM

20,900 posts, read 13,021,694 times
Quote:
I guess I'm thinking of downtown Everett, and it has been 20 years since I've been there.

Old, decrepit buildings, downtown didn't exactly say "prosperity" to me.

I can remember some pretty squalid neighborhoods in Everett, maybe they cleaned it up.

Thx
Some of those houses in Everett have amazing water views

Old 02-09-2020, 03:17 PM

7,465 posts, read 6,176,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
On the first property I linked (North Everett), the schools were ranked at 7/ES, 6/MS, and 6/HS. It is important to note that GS rankings are largely based on test scores, which are highly correlated with family-income. Yes, rankings below 5 should raise red flags, but 7 (for ES) and 6 (for MS/HS) should, at most be reasons to investigate further.

For the Lake Stevens (Everett area) property I linked, the schools are 7/ES, 6/MS, and 8/HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area