U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 08:43 AM

6 posts, read 1,534 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am new here so I hope I am posting in the right place.

I am planning to move to Washington this Summer, I have a job in Kent and have been looking for apartments but I can't quite decide which neighborhood/area I should live in. I would love to hear some thoughts on:

Commute (I would drive to Kent around 6:00 AM and likely drive home around 4:30-6:00 PM)

The general feel of different neighborhoods

Safety (relative to other areas in Seattle)

Access to nature

Access to downtown (Could I take a train or bus?)

Some areas I was considering are: West Seattle, Queen Anne, South Lake Union, Bellevue, Columbia city, Tukwila, I'm open to other suggestions as well

I am 22 years old (F) I'd like to live in an area with other young professionals. I love nature and the outdoors. My ideal spot would be somewhere that is a little bit quieter with good access to nature/hiking/places to run with downtown accessible by train or bus.

Thank you for reading my post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 10:09 AM

7,117 posts, read 5,817,960 times
Good morning dataturtle!

Columbia City might be a good choice, fun area with shops, cafes, pubs, eclectic and diverse. You can drive down Rainier Ave S to get to Kent without getting on freeways, there also is very nice woody Seward Park nearby for a great close in walk/hike. One more plus, there is light rail stop there for when you want to go downtown.

Some of the other places you mention (West Seattle, South Lake Union) would put you too far from work, time and commute wise. Hope this helps!

Old 04-18-2020, 10:36 AM

Thank you that is very helpful!

Old 04-18-2020, 10:45 AM

5,726 posts, read 1,889,276 times
I grew up in the kent area in the 60's and 70's. We lived on the east hill above Kent. I know it's changed a great deal over the years, but there were always lots of recreation opportunities, rivers and streams, lakes, hiking trails. I think the commute would be easier then coming from west Seattle.

Good luck on your move!

Old 04-18-2020, 11:24 AM

Thank you! I'll definitely look into living in Kent

Old 04-18-2020, 06:42 PM

7,117 posts, read 5,817,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I grew up in the kent area in the 60's and 70's. We lived on the east hill above Kent. I know it's changed a great deal over the years, but there were always lots of recreation opportunities, rivers and streams, lakes, hiking trails. I think the commute would be easier then coming from west Seattle.

Good luck on your move!
You're right, but they wouldn't have the cool neighborhood options, character and Seattle access that Columbia City offers. The commute from there down Rainier Ave S really wouldn't be that bad, kind of reverse commute to the direction most people are going.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:06 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,630,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
You're right, but they wouldn't have the cool neighborhood options, character and Seattle access that Columbia City offers. The commute from there down Rainier Ave S really wouldn't be that bad, kind of reverse commute to the direction most people are going.
This.

I think it's more important to be physically close to social and cultural opportunities than to nature. You can always drive to a trail somewhere.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:27 AM

Thank you! That is definitely a big consideration for me. Since I'm moving across the country and don't know anyone in Seattle yet, I don't want to make it harder to meet and make friends with people my age. On the East Coast, I've had some 45-1 hour-long commutes to and from Boston. Which is not great but there are always gonna be some trade-offs.

I was wondering from a relative safety sense how does Colombia City and Kent compare? I was looking at crime rates but those don't always show the whole picture for particular neighborhoods.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:31 AM

939 posts, read 426,378 times
Not sure where exactly in Kent your job is, but you might take a look at Covington or Maple Valley. They might be too family oriented for you, but close to nature, Mt. Rainier etc. At any rate, driving into Seattle is not that big a deal from either location, if you need a dose of city living occasionally....assuming we get back to normal someday and you can go to things like sporting events, concerts, etc.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:11 PM

Okay, thank you! I hope things are improving in Seattle, Vermont is slowly getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area