U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2008, 06:14 PM
 
6,342 posts, read 8,742,571 times
Reputation: 3449

Advertisements

I have a question for people who have moved to Seattle. I was thinking of having Seattle as a plan B if Portland doesn't work out for me (i.e., if I can't get a job) But I have a concern about Seattle and a question for people who moved there...how long did it take for you to make new friends there? I don't want to use the "F" word, but I hear the people aren't as easy to get along with in Seattle as they are in Portland.

Then again, I have not made any close friends in Jersey and I have lived here all 27 years of my life, which I blame on the "Jersey Halt," which is what otherwise friendly seeming people here in the "garden" state do when one mentions ANYTHING that is not orthodox guido...example...Jerseyite: "I looooove seaside!" Me: "no, I'm not a big fan of the beach" Jerseyite: "you don't like the beach!?...okay, nice talking to you" and then HALTS the conversation and runs away not to speak to that "weirdo" again.
I recently told some co-workers about a nest of red-tailed hawks right outside my door and how nice it is to ACTUALLY be able to see the mother sitting on her eggs, and there came the JERSEY HALT as they gave me that " like ohh my gawd, like, he likes nature and stuff" look and nodded and walked away...say you like the outdoors around here, and you are instantly a leper...CAN SEATTLE TOP THAT?

Also, since, while being a outgoing guy, thanks to the Jersey Halt, I really don't have any friends over here, so I'm kind of like, "what do I have to loss?"
I was thinking that maybe doing a more "structured" activity, like FINALLY taking up the Kendo (japanese fencing) classes would be a good way to meet people when/if I get up there.


Anyway, how long did it take and how did you transplants make friends?

Thanks!

 
Old 04-27-2008, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Happiness is found inside your smile :)
3,178 posts, read 13,417,319 times
Reputation: 1266
In making friends I have had no problems, it's that I am in the stage of my life (mid 30s with young children) I do not have many opportunities to get out and socialize. Same with the majority of young families - I think that's where the freeze comes from. People are busy and keep to their immediate families needs

My husband moved here when he was 21, and he's a very reserved guy. He had a ton of friends...going out to a bar, lounge or pub is big here.

But I still have friends - lots actually we just are all so busy with our own little kids that we just don't seem to get together more then once a month is that...also everyone doesn't live near each other...I live in Greenlake, Kim live in Lynwood, Holly lives on Quuen Anne, Coreen is in Snowq. Ridge, Heather lives in Auburn, Sarah lives in North Bend...these are the actual spots, so you see we have to juggle each others schedules and also find a mutual meeting spot.
 
Old 04-27-2008, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Cosmic Consciousness
3,871 posts, read 15,508,364 times
Reputation: 2637
"orthodox guido" -- Hahahahaha!! IRA!!

Hi, victorian! Thanks for that! Great fun! (I used to be from NYC, lifetimes ago.)

I made friends right away. And then I lost some of them. And then I made more. And lost some of them. And so on.... Life is breathing in, and breathing out...

Most of the friends I have made in my 20+ years here I made at the office. A few I made in my neighborhood. One at a restaurant. One through a sudden conversation at a supermarket.

I understand your concern about some mythical Seattle "freeze". When I was a New Yorker, I was just as confrontational and intense as most New Yorkers; and I made a few friends. When I taught myself I was wasting the energy of my life being paranoid and competitive, and just to relax and enjoy, I made more friends, and then more. Most of those people are still my friends, after 5, 10, 20 years.

I think it's about who YOU are, and less about who THEY are -- people gravitate toward friendly vibes. Make sense? Have fun and expect to enjoy yourself!
 
Old 04-27-2008, 06:49 PM
 
9,627 posts, read 23,818,089 times
Reputation: 5248
Hey! I didn't mention Orthodox Guido. I'm a reform Guido myself.
I've made quite a few friends here after spending the first 20 years of my life in NJ.
I wouldn't worry at all, Victorian. Nobody is more charming, funny, or good looking than guys from New Jersey.
 
Old 04-27-2008, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Cosmic Consciousness
3,871 posts, read 15,508,364 times
Reputation: 2637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I wouldn't worry at all, Victorian. Nobody is more charming, funny, or good looking than guys from New Jersey.
HEAR!!! HEAR!!! That's a wrap, folks!!!
 
Old 04-27-2008, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Duvall, WA
1,677 posts, read 6,098,763 times
Reputation: 636
We moved here a bit more recently than the other people responding (June of 07), and as of yet, I'd say we haven't made any friends. I recently joined some mommy meetup groups and I think there's potential there.

V. =)
 
Old 04-27-2008, 07:13 PM
 
13 posts, read 66,266 times
Reputation: 17
People are cold, rude, prideful, backstabbers and stuck up here. That's why we're moving to Tennessee as soon as we sell our home.
 
Old 04-27-2008, 07:23 PM
 
Location: The Emerald City
1,402 posts, read 4,436,040 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I have a question for people who have moved to Seattle. I was thinking of having Seattle as a plan B if Portland doesn't work out for me (i.e., if I can't get a job) But I have a concern about Seattle and a question for people who moved there...how long did it take for you to make new friends there? I don't want to use the "F" word, but I hear the people aren't as easy to get along with in Seattle as they are in Portland.

Then again, I have not made any close friends in Jersey and I have lived here all 27 years of my life, which I blame on the "Jersey Halt," which is what otherwise friendly seeming people here in the "garden" state do when one mentions ANYTHING that is not orthodox guido...example...Jerseyite: "I looooove seaside!" Me: "no, I'm not a big fan of the beach" Jerseyite: "you don't like the beach!?...okay, nice talking to you" and then HALTS the conversation and runs away not to speak to that "weirdo" again.
I recently told some co-workers about a nest of red-tailed hawks right outside my door and how nice it is to ACTUALLY be able to see the mother sitting on her eggs, and there came the JERSEY HALT as they gave me that " like ohh my gawd, like, he likes nature and stuff" look and nodded and walked away...say you like the outdoors around here, and you are instantly a leper...CAN SEATTLE TOP THAT?

Also, since, while being a outgoing guy, thanks to the Jersey Halt, I really don't have any friends over here, so I'm kind of like, "what do I have to loss?"
I was thinking that maybe doing a more "structured" activity, like FINALLY taking up the Kendo (japanese fencing) classes would be a good way to meet people when/if I get up there.


Anyway, how long did it take and how did you transplants make friends?

Thanks!
Don't you mean, "down the shore"? I'm stuck here a little longer, god help me!
 
Old 04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
 
6,342 posts, read 8,742,571 times
Reputation: 3449
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Don't you mean, "down the shore"? I'm stuck here a little longer, god help me!
"seaside" in Jersey means Seaside Heights...the WORST guido beach on Earth.
 
Old 04-27-2008, 07:47 PM
 
1,261 posts, read 5,614,620 times
Reputation: 553
I'm not a Seattle fan (even though I lived there for 4 years), but I frankly can't say that I experienced a Seattle freeze per se. I think that the only thing that can make you "not fit in" in Seattle is if you are a true conservative (and I don't mean just politically--I'm talking about having very traditional values). Only then will you have a hard time "making friends" because for all the talk about "tolerance" there is intolerance of conservative values, IMHO. In other big cities, you see more of a "live and let live," but in Seattle, there is no shortage of vocal activism. I've lived in many big cities in the U.S. and I don't think I've ever seen as many bumper stickers or rallies as I did in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top