Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2006, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 25,481 times

Advertisements

I am interested in relocating back to WA from MN around May of 2007. Looking for a 3 BR townhome or house. Specifically, very interested in Edmonds and would be commuting to Ballard for work. Highest priorities are sense of community, safety for the kids, good schools (middle and high school) and a nice neighborhood (not asking for much). Looking to stay under $375k and wondering if that is realistic in a nice area of Edmonds given our needs. We are not looking for a large home, just need at least 3 BR. We were in Edmonds this last week and really love the beauty of the surroundings and feel like it is a distinct entity from what most of Seattle feels like (i.e. very congested). We used to live in Enumclaw but that is too far away from the job in Ballard. Would really appreciate any feedback regarding area schools (ones to avoid or seek out), real estate market trend in Edmonds and generally what it is like to live there. Would a commute to Ballard be about 30 min. both ways? I do have flexibility for start / end time for work if necessary to cut down on the commute. One more thing . . . spouse would be looking for employment most likely part-time in / close to Edmonds (background in personal fitness training / yoga instructor / social work). Are jobs right in Edmonds difficult to come by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 05:01 PM

454 posts, read 905,445 times
I think that you may be able do well in the 375K range. The commute, however, is that biggest concern that I see. If you avoid rush hour and live and work close to the freeway, then maybe possible for a 30 minute commute. The main arterials throughout Ballard become a mess after 3:30 and the Freeway during rush hour can get ugly. For a typical Edmonds to Ballard commute, plan on 45-75 minutes each way. The way to avoid this is get on the freeway by 6:00 am, 3:00 pm.

I don't live there, just visit often, so I am not sure about the schools etc.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Edmonds

Thank you for the response. I was not expecting a commute in the longer time frame you cited. Are their other area schools / communities that you are familiar with and might recommend for a family including a middle and high schooler?

Old 12-27-2006, 08:23 PM

454 posts, read 905,445 times
The problem you are going to get into is that the closer you get to Seattle, the more congested the population, higher home prices and higher crime issues.

As much as the commute is less than you would like, the trade off to get within 30 minutes of Ballard is probably a bigger one.

Solutions can be car pool, van pool or bus, or live with a little longer commute. There are many areas that surround Seattle that is "Edmonds" like, but the commute is about the same.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:01 PM

269 posts, read 1,243,517 times
Part of the problem is that there's no north-south arterial on the west edge of Seattle anywhere except downtown. From Ballard, which is the west edge just north of the waterway, you're obliged to go north/south on 15th NW/Holman Road/Greenwood, or fight your way east to Aurora/Highway 99 and go north on that, or fight your way even further east to I-5 and go north on that. During rush hour, unless both your workplace and your home are right on main-line routes (or are walking distance from each other), a 30-minute commute is more or less out of the question.

My son goes to a school in north Ballard (Salmon Bay, NW 65th just off 15th NW); I live just barely inside the north city limits of Seattle, between Highway 99 and I-5. When I pick him up after school a little before 5:00, it takes half an hour for us to get home. That does not include the time it takes get from my workplace on South Lake Union to Ballard.

From Ballard going north you pass through Loyal Heights and Broadview (in Seattle) before getting into Shoreline, and Edmonds is just north of that.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:28 PM

Thank you again for the helpful information to everyone that has responded. Question: So what would the commute range be from for an "Edmonds-like" community to Ballard, working an 8 am to 5 p.m. schedule. Any specific cities you could recommend looking at given an under 375,000 price point for a clean 3 BR home in a nice neighborhood (safe / established)? Also, any recommended school districts in those areas? Does anyone have any feedback on living in the city of Edmonds or the school district?

Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 PM

28 posts, read 133,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belowzero View Post
Thank you again for the helpful information to everyone that has responded. Question: So what would the commute range be from for an "Edmonds-like" community to Ballard, working an 8 am to 5 p.m. schedule. Any specific cities you could recommend looking at given an under 375,000 price point for a clean 3 BR home in a nice neighborhood (safe / established)? Also, any recommended school districts in those areas? Does anyone have any feedback on living in the city of Edmonds or the school district?

I live in Shoreline/Edmond city limit and commutes to Ballard. Rush hour traffic will take you 45 minutes. As far as housing price, 375k for 3 bedrooms in a nice neighborhood...it will be a miracle if you can find one for that price. You'll be looking at above 450k for the criteria listed. Housing in Seattle and the surrounding area are very expensive.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 12,947 times
Default A little Gem near Everett Navy Base

BELOW ZERO
Ballard is a very trendy place to live now. Edmonds dies at around 6 pm except for the ferry traffic. I lived in Edmonds for a short time and went stir crazy. Ballard was in the wrong direction for my daily commute so that was out, Seattle city was too pricey. Not being from the area, I found a little gem of a place in N. Everett. Some time ago I guess there was an arsenic scare in some of the land area. Being an environmentalist that has worked with arsenic in the Hawaiian soils, I was not concerned once I saw the report.
N. Everett near Marina Drive is quite up and coming and still affordable. I purchased a condo that has changed in price from 140K to 200K to one identical studio asking price of 300K at this time. I see nothing but growth as the marina is planned for a makeover, the glass foundry has been scheduled to be removed for the high rise 'homes in the sky' where studio buy ins start at 400K. The financial demographics have changed also for this area. It isn't as high as Edmonds perhaps, but the people are alot more open and friendly. The military is of course a big part of Everett and the varied restaurants are likely indicative of the varied makeup of our military.
Please be sure to look into www.Nautica-condo.com (broken link) (or something like that) as a place to start looking in Everett.
Charmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by belowzero View Post
I am interested in relocating back to WA from MN around May of 2007. Looking for a 3 BR townhome or house. Specifically, very interested in Edmonds and would be commuting to Ballard for work. Highest priorities are sense of community, safety for the kids, good schools (middle and high school) and a nice neighborhood (not asking for much). Looking to stay under $375k and wondering if that is realistic in a nice area of Edmonds given our needs. We are not looking for a large home, just need at least 3 BR. We were in Edmonds this last week and really love the beauty of the surroundings and feel like it is a distinct entity from what most of Seattle feels like (i.e. very congested). We used to live in Enumclaw but that is too far away from the job in Ballard. Would really appreciate any feedback regarding area schools (ones to avoid or seek out), real estate market trend in Edmonds and generally what it is like to live there. Would a commute to Ballard be about 30 min. both ways? I do have flexibility for start / end time for work if necessary to cut down on the commute. One more thing . . . spouse would be looking for employment most likely part-time in / close to Edmonds (background in personal fitness training / yoga instructor / social work). Are jobs right in Edmonds difficult to come by?

Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 12,947 times
You can find a ballard home, fixer upper or foreclosure with the correct realtor for 375K without a seriously long wait.
Charmed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area