Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 11,456 times

Advertisements

I read one of the posting on here about a fence not put up on the property line, the post had mentioned that you can try and claim Adverse Posseion.
beings the fence has been up for 15, to 20 years.
I am having a huge problem with my neighbor on the account of this, I thought it was Grandfathered after so many years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
This is a legal matter, involving at least state law and likely also county and city or town ordinances. You need to consult an attorney who specializes in real estate. You can find such attorneys in your local yellow pages directory. Good luck!

This post has the same advice:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/2878075-post10.html

Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 AM

2 posts, read 11,456 times
The fence was originally put on her own property by prior owners and it was assumed that it was Grandfathered after so many years, this was discovered after I paid to get the Servey and now they are attempting to put the fence up. they have the polls in.
untill I figure out if I can claim this adverse possesion can I block them from having access to finish the fence ( with my car) without going to jail?

mod note: please keep in mind that any responses you get here do not constitute legal advice and should be treated only as opinions. "All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of City-data.com forum will be held responsible for the content of any message."

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-05-2008 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: legal clarification

Old 05-05-2008, 11:22 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
It seems to me that sometimes getting along with a neighbor is worth the cost of losing a few feet of fenceline. Absolutely, the only way you are going to resolve this is to see an attorney...we really don't know the details at all, but adverse possession or not, and i may be wayyyy off base here, but it seems like you are trying to hold possession of land that isn't really yours.
In any event, the only way this can legally be resolved is through legal channels, rather than blocking it with your car.
Don't escalate things. See a lawyer, and leave your neighbor some cookies on her doorstep.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:31 PM

339 posts, read 707,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It seems to me that sometimes getting along with a neighbor is worth the cost of losing a few feet of fenceline. Absolutely, the only way you are going to resolve this is to see an attorney...we really don't know the details at all, but adverse possession or not, and i may be wayyyy off base here, but it seems like you are trying to hold possession of land that isn't really yours.
In any event, the only way this can legally be resolved is through legal channels, rather than blocking it with your car.
Don't escalate things. See a lawyer, and leave your neighbor some cookies on her doorstep.
I second this. A person has to ask themselves...."Is it really worth it?" Often times...dirt isn't.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:05 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson&delila View Post
I read one of the posting on here about a fence not put up on the property line, the post had mentioned that you can try and claim Adverse Posseion.
beings the fence has been up for 15, to 20 years.
I am having a huge problem with my neighbor on the account of this, I thought it was Grandfathered after so many years?
I recently testified during a King County Court trial on a private condemnation, which is pretty similiar to adverse possesion. I read up a lot on the laws so I'm familiar with a similiar situation.

If your use of the land meets the requirements for adverse possession (defined in the revised code of washington), you can file a lawsuit in King County Superior Court to prevent them from installing the fence. I suppose you could block their building the fence with your car, but since the land is their land until a judge rules otherwise, the neigbhors could tow your vehicle and install the fence anyway.

The private condemnation lawsuit (that I was involved with) was filed five years ago and has been to court three times. No judge has issued a ruling in the case, and the parties testified that their expenses were over $100,000.

I have no idea what your case would take but 5 years and a $100,000 is good starting point.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:15 PM

100 posts, read 442,668 times
Get an attorney to sort it out,they can serve your neighbor to prevent construction of the fence until ownership of the area in question is 100% determined...Me personally if you blocked the area that I own without at least asking me to stop construction until we as neighbors figure out who owns the area,I would concrete right through your car and build the fence on top....Just kidding talk with a lawyer or at very least talk with your neighbor and feel them out

Old 05-05-2008, 05:57 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
I would concrete right through your car and build the fence on top.

That's got to be the funniest line I've ever read on City-Data.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:11 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
The image certainly is.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:09 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,623 times
How many feet are we talking about here?

Your neighbour should really help pay for any further survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area