Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,091 times

Advertisements

Hi! So I've read a couple of these threads and am now terrified of moving to Seattle this summer. I am a mom of two school aged kids and have gone back to school to get my Master's. I plan on going to Bastyr and my hubby and kids plan to come as well (obviously). We were planning on renting, but will be living on one income. I'm sure my husband will not be making $120K/year and am wondering if we can live anywhere relatively safe/clean. We are coming from WV where the cost of living is very low. Should I scrap my plans now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 03:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
Renting will help you will disposable income - mostly buying is hard to do. And are your kids in daycare or private school? If they are in public schools then you'll be fine.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,590 times
You can be fine, it is all a matter of priorities. A lot depends on where you live.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:23 PM

We are pretty modest people, so we don't need anything lavish. But is there a relatively safe (kid-friendly) area that has good schools? From what I'm hearing the schools on eastside are the best, but housing most expensive. ??

I thank you for your input!

Old 05-11-2008, 04:24 PM

6 posts, read 20,445 times
It all depends on where you want to live, and what lifestyle you want to have as to if there will be any issues.

It's very doable to live out here making less than $100k combined household income around here depending on what you're looking for.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:32 PM

131 posts, read 323,072 times
Seattle is a city and you have every right to be scared. City life sucks and it sucks real bad if you have kids and a limited income.

If you don't want to deal with city life, why do it?

Old 05-11-2008, 05:12 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
I don't think you have any reason to be scared. People speak in general terms around here. Whereas on Mercer Island or Issaquah almost every public school is good, in Seattle or Renton some schools are really bad. It doesn't mean that all schools are bad there, or that your children will not get a good education...
But, on the bright side, Bastyr is in Kenmore, and Kenmore is a little less expensive than some nearby eastside cities, and there are other comparable northend neighborhoods with decent schools without the insane expense of some eastside areas. Think Kenmore, Bothell, Lake forest Park, Shoreline.
Most people in the Settle area do not have an income of 120,000 dollars.
If you have high housing costs and have to travel a lot by car and have high credit card debt, that can wreck havoc.
But if your commuting costs are low, and you're renting, and manageable debt, you should do fine.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 AM

69 posts, read 246,571 times
I don't blame hdys for being a little scared. I'm feeling scared too! Expensive housing, expensive child care, and a high porportion of richer people ... there was some talk about being "priced out" in other threads that I think is relevant. Sure, I am sure anything is "doable", I'm just not sure what level of a struggle it is on a day to day basis, and whether anyone wants to do that - especially if you are comfortable where you are. It is a tough call! All the best with your decision.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Chenebe, and hdys, don’t be let a few negative posts scare you. There are many fine and very livable areas in the Puget Sound region.

In an area of several million people most people as Ira pointed out do not have an income of 120,000 dollars. Is there a certain amount of struggle involved? Sure...but the positives of the region in my opinion far outweigh the struggle.

It's all about the choices we decide to make...

Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 AM

Thanks, Ira and seattlerain, for making me feel better! Fortunately, we will be able to pay off what debt we have once we sell our house, and will have very few outstanding bills. Since it is a temporary situation, we will be ok renting an apt for a couple years. We don't need a big house or fancy cars, we just want to be able feed our kids well (healthy fare), keep a safe, comfortable roof over their heads, and have a safe, decent school for them to attend. Those are the main priorities, at least while I'm in school. I really appreciate your recommendations!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area