Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:25 AM

73 posts, read 248,618 times

Advertisements

I've always heard people complain about the drivers in Seattle and in Washington in general, but it wasn't until I recently started driving to my new job that it really began to occur to me just how truly idiotic the people in this city drive. I thought I'd start a list of driving rules for Seattle, please feel free to add to it!

1) Avoid signaling at all costs! Signaling your intentions is rude and pushy and not appropriate for the fair people of Seattle. The ONLY time signaling is allowed is at a red light when you want to make a left-hand turn on a busy street, but ONLY after traffic in your lane has stopped and the motorists behind you do not have time to make any alternate plans to being stuck behind you while you wait for your chance to turn left.

2) Be cautious of green lights. Although green does mean go, it is advisable to wait a good 15-30 seconds before proceeding just in case there is some kind of error in the traffic system.

3) After 9pm you MUST drive at least 5-10 miles UNDER the speed limit within city limits!

4) Driving anywhere from 5-15 miles UNDER the speed limit in the fast-lane is perfectly acceptable. Bask in your smug sense of self-satisfaction that you are a polite Seattleite and not a raging maniac like those people in California or on the east coast.

Can anyone think of any others?

Last edited by Destructoman!; 05-13-2008 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:46 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
People complain about other drivers in every city, do a search of the forums and see for yourself.

I don't think that people in Seattle drive "truly idiot" anymore than any other city...

Old 05-13-2008, 12:41 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
But almost every city has their own brand of driving idiot.
In Boston, a four way stop means that you slow down to 40 mph and give the other three drivers the finger as you fly through.
In Seattle, a four way stop means you stops seemingly forever, and each driver signals to the other" No, you go."

Old 05-13-2008, 01:10 PM

73 posts, read 248,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But almost every city has their own brand of driving idiot.
In Boston, a four way stop means that you slow down to 40 mph and give the other three drivers the finger as you fly through.
In Seattle, a four way stop means you stops seemingly forever, and each driver signals to the other" No, you go."
I would bet good money that thats the way many many accidents occur here in Seattle... "You go ahead...", "No, no you first"... back and forth until CRASH! Both drivers go at the same time. A perfect example of how being overly-polite can be downright dangerous at times!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
I have a couple:

Make sure, when you're merging on the freeway, or realize you're about to miss your exit, that it's perfectly acceptable to just stop, until someone lets you, in despite the danger you're putting everyone else in.

If you're going to change lanes, don't worry about looking, or making sure no one is in the way, just come on over, we're all so polite here, we'll make room for you.

Remember, flipping people off is a perfectly acceptable means of letting other drivers know how you feel about their driving (I've never been flipped off on the freeway so many times, as I have since I've been here, and it's usually because someone is upset that I'm only going 70+ in the carpool lane, I never once got flipped off in CA).

I never once feared for my life getting on the road in CA the way I do here.

V. =)

Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 PM

125 posts, read 312,320 times
You forgot to mention two of my favorites... the one about driving more slowly when it rains and braking when you exit a tunnel and see light. I n all honesty though I lived there for 9 years and the drivers did drive me crazy until I landed in Houston where I live now. Here they make the Seattle drivers seem almost sane. Everyone here is in NASCAR - drive 80 then brake, drive 85 then hit the brakes and a signal light is taken as a sign that your car must be broken (why else would a light be blinking - a local actually said this to me) so know one uses them as they weave in and out of 80 mph traffic on the highways... and getting into the exit lanes is for whimps here - you can cut over across all lines at the last second and people will let you in, not because they are polite but because they are in fear for their lives and want to live.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Surprisingly enough, Seattle drivers don't do well in the rain. I'm always hearing traffic reports of people smashing into each other on rainy days. For that matter, on sunny days after it's been raining I also hear news reports of accidents, and when it snows? Fuggetaboutit! But on overcast days, there are no better drivers than Seattle drivers.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructoman! View Post
I would bet good money that thats the way many many accidents occur here in Seattle... "You go ahead...", "No, no you first"... back and forth until CRASH! Both drivers go at the same time. A perfect example of how being overly-polite can be downright dangerous at times!
Believe it or not...I have seen that happen on more than one occasion!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
You should see Boston drivers. Insane.

My wife was with her friend when we went back to visit. Well they were pulling out of a parking lot, and someone tried coming into the exit lane. Well my wife's friend gets out of her car, goes up to the window of the other car and starts cussing the driver out.

That's nuts...

Old 05-15-2008, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,854 times
I haven't had a car for long, so I'm not sure if this is a very Seattle thing or not: What is the deal with not paying attention to your lane? It's so scary to be driving and having someone meander over their line into your lane...even if it's just 6 inches. I see this daily on city streets (not so much on the freeway). Keep it between the lines, people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area