Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 07:11 PM

342 posts, read 319,837 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our early 50's and we're figuring out where we want to move next. It's where we plan to stay after we retire if we like it enough. We currently live in the southeastern US.

Our youngest kid, and the only one still at home, is five years away from high school graduation, so we could move now, before he starts high school, or wait until he finishes. My brother lived in downtown Seattle for a while, and then Bellevue, and I fell in love with Seattle when I used to visit him. However, I don't really know the best neighborhoods for buying a house because he always rented.

Where would be the best neighborhood to live with views of the mountains, and stay under $1.1 million for a decent sized house? Ideally we'd like to spend $900K to $1 million, but $1.1 million is our top spend.

We need 4 bedrooms so that we can turn two of the bedrooms into offices for ourselves since we both work from home in busy jobs. So being able to commute to a job isn't important. What does matter is the view, being able to have no more than a 20-minute drive to a hospital (you never realize how important medical care is until you need it and it takes 45 minutes for the ambulance to reach you), and having a selection of good restaurants and shopping within 10 minutes or so of our home. So that means rural areas are pretty much eliminated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 09:09 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
My husband and I are in our early 50's and we're figuring out where we want to move next. It's where we plan to stay after we retire if we like it enough. We currently live in the southeastern US.

Our youngest kid, and the only one still at home, is five years away from high school graduation, so we could move now, before he starts high school, or wait until he finishes. My brother lived in downtown Seattle for a while, and then Bellevue, and I fell in love with Seattle when I used to visit him. However, I don't really know the best neighborhoods for buying a house because he always rented.

Where would be the best neighborhood to live with views of the mountains, and stay under $1.1 million for a decent sized house? Ideally we'd like to spend $900K to $1 million, but $1.1 million is our top spend.

We need 4 bedrooms so that we can turn two of the bedrooms into offices for ourselves since we both work from home in busy jobs. So being able to commute to a job isn't important. What does matter is the view, being able to have no more than a 20-minute drive to a hospital (you never realize how important medical care is until you need it and it takes 45 minutes for the ambulance to reach you), and having a selection of good restaurants and shopping within 10 minutes or so of our home. So that means rural areas are pretty much eliminated.

Are you planning on enrolling your kid into public schools? Also do you want to live within the Seattle city limits or is the greater Seattle area okay as well?

Old 08-01-2021, 10:20 PM

15,828 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Queen Anne neighborhood perhaps?

https://seattletravel.com/queen-anne-seattle/

Old 08-02-2021, 07:45 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post

Hi scully. That combination of price, size, views and desire to be near culture and services is a tough one. My instinct is that you should be looking in Snohomish County, it’s really on the move right now and has many things you need/want. Homes in Mukilteo and nice Everett neighborhoods off of Mukilteo Blvd (like Boulevard Bluffs, View Ridge) as well as really pretty Historic North Everett and Rucker Hill could work. Those areas all have the potential for dramatic westward looking mountain (and water) views. On the south side of Seattle, you might have a look at Burien and even the Historic North End neighborhood of Tacoma.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:14 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,707,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi scully. That combination of price, size, views and desire to be near culture and services is a tough one. My instinct is that you should be looking in Snohomish County, it’s really on the move right now and has many things you need/want. Homes in Mukilteo and nice Everett neighborhoods off of Mukilteo Blvd (like Boulevard Bluffs, View Ridge) as well as really pretty Historic North Everett and Rucker Hill could work. Those areas all have the potential for dramatic westward looking mountain (and water) views. On the south side of Seattle, you might have a look at Burien and even the Historic North End neighborhood of Tacoma.
The best schools in that lot will be Mukilteo. Kamiak High School is highly ranked, nice building as well.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:41 AM

367 posts, read 304,300 times
You can just pitch a tent in one of the city park’s, if someone else is willing to give you some space.

Good luck with restaurants. Inslee will be closing them by October, according to rumors.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:52 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Personally I'd nix the idea of mountain views from my actual house and look at West Seattle. Good city schools, far enough removed to be quiet and mostly unaware of the problems of the city, but very commutable.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...48656413_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...48688748_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...49124648_zpid/ (hella cute!)
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...49115735_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...49124452_zpid/

Just a few random examples. I make this suggestion based on your love of Seattle and desire to be HERE. You could get more house for less money in a suburban location (like Snohomish County), but at that point, why not just stay in Atlanta, where housing is a little cheaper? They're both basically "anywhere, USA."

Old 08-02-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Personally I'd nix the idea of mountain views from my actual house and look at West Seattle. Good city schools, far enough removed to be quiet and mostly unaware of the problems of the city, but very commutable.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...48656413_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...48688748_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...49124648_zpid/ (hella cute!)
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...49115735_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...49124452_zpid/

Just a few random examples. I make this suggestion based on your love of Seattle and desire to be HERE. You could get more house for less money in a suburban location (like Snohomish County), but at that point, why not just stay in Atlanta, where housing is a little cheaper? They're both basically "anywhere, USA."
I agree with you, West Seattle (even if you don't have views) is so close to water access.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 08-02-2021 at 10:29 AM..

Old 08-02-2021, 10:26 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Hey Homes I didn't see that criteria in the OP ... maybe I am going cross-eyed this morning

Old 08-02-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Hey Homes I didn't see that criteria in the OP ... maybe I am going cross-eyed this morning
You are right, it's my 55 year old eyes .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area