U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 07:35 PM

48 posts, read 177,041 times

Advertisements

There are so many opportunities to learn new things and do new things in Seattle but every time I go there I am bored and can't find anything to do. What can I learn in Seattle that I can't learn elsewhere? What can I see that is awesome that won't cost me more than $50?

I am so sick and tired of the tourist scene. I want to get away from that and see the side of Seattle that makes Seattle, Seattle. How do I do that?

My background/interests:
  • Engineering student, interested in aerospace, astronautics, electrical engineering.
  • Love to learn martial arts/sports. Definitely into sports these days.
  • Into organic food and organic cooking/recipes.
  • Love science and technology in general.
  • Fascinated by planes.
  • Loves to avoid the tourist scene--which has no real educational value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:44 PM

9,588 posts, read 22,816,213 times
There are lots of great cooking classes in the Seattle area, ranging from the community colleges( South Seattle has a great baking program) to PCC natural markets to the Greenfresh Market in Renton...
Maybe slightly too touristy, but the Museum of Flight is kinda cool.
And the Cedar River Trail in Renton goes right by the Boeing plant, and there's a sign for pedestrians to watch out for aircraft.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:14 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,088,458 times
Default ... into the wild blue yonder ...

How's this? I took a tour to north of Seattle to the new Boeing Future of Flight Aviation Center with interactive aviation exhibits, walking around inside the airplane factory viewing the flight line, sitting inside a 727 cockpit, riding in a flight simulator, and someone I was with designed their own aircraft using aviation software. I loved this. You can find this if you Google Gray Line Future of Flight Boeing Tour.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:23 PM

Here's another idea: have you been to the Pacific Science Center near the Space Needle? It has a planetarium, an IMAX theatre, and a mind-boggling gaggle of science exhibits and interactive geegaws.
In the beginning of October, an amazing archaeological exhibit is coming to the Pacific Science Center: "the original fossilized remains of the 3.2 million-year-old hominid known as Lucy, the oldest adult human ancestor fully retrieved from African soil" along with other related exhibits.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:29 PM

Just checked out the Boeing Future of Flight Aviation Center & Pacific Science Center. The former is really just another tourist attraction with no real educational value. People do not really design aircraft at the Future of Flight Aviation Center, nor do you really get to see how manufacturing is done at the plant. You just gaze down and pass on by. As for the Pacific Science Center, I've been to places like those. They are heavily oriented towards kids. I'm 23 and have an Engineering degree.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:31 PM

The Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture is open to the public, on the campus of the University of Washington just northeast of downtown Seattle. It is a spectacular place. Their exhibits are mostly, but definitely not all, about the archaeology, palentology and zoology of the Pacific Northwest.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
There are lots of great cooking classes in the Seattle area, ranging from the community colleges( South Seattle has a great baking program) to PCC natural markets to the Greenfresh Market in Renton...
Maybe slightly too touristy, but the Museum of Flight is kinda cool.
And the Cedar River Trail in Renton goes right by the Boeing plant, and there's a sign for pedestrians to watch out for aircraft.
Do you know if there are classes lasting just for one day, and less than 2 hours, focusing on organic cooking? I'd like to talk to people who know a lot about how non-organic foods, specifically meats, are processed (surely people who are involved in organic cooking realize the dangers of processed foods).

I've been to the Museum of Flight--one of the best tourist attractions out there.

I'm definitely going to the Cedar River Trail--thanks for the tip!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:32 PM

Too bad that in this town of science we have nothing that interests you.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Too bad that in this town of science we have nothing that interests you.
I already stated that tourist attractions do not interest me.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
The Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture is open to the public, on the campus of the University of Washington just northeast of downtown Seattle. It is a spectacular place. Their exhibits are mostly, but definitely not all, about the archaeology, palentology and zoology of the Pacific Northwest.
Definitely going to the Burke Museum, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or