Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 06:22 PM

86 posts, read 72,091 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This question has probably been asked many times but I want to know the answer specifically in context of PNW weather. Also, most of the times one option always costs higher than the other. In my case the price quoted was the same for doing both stamped/stained concrete and pavers. Our existing desk is not safe anymore so we have to replace it anyways.

Cost (900 sqft): $9.5K for stamped/stained concrete and $10K for pavers . Both contractors offered warranty where they do annual maintenance for 10 years and it can be transferred to the new owner when we sell. The concrete guy offered to build a small firepit which is an added little bonus.

Since the price is almost the same for both the options, which one would you recommend based on the following factors:
  • Adding to home value in general (planning to sell the house in 5 years)
  • What do local folks mostly prefer? Concrete or pavers?
  • Stability: We live in Pacific Northwest where it rains a lot and our house is at the bottom of the hill so we do get a lot of water. The bids include building good drainage to direct rain water into french drain system that is connected to sewer. But generally speaking, is one preferable over the other for soft/wet soil?
  • Multiple levels vs 1 level: Our backyard is slightly sloped so with concrete we will end up getting 2 levels of patio. One step down from the entrance and second step down towards end of patio. With Pavers, it is all in one level. Two steps down at the entrance then one level of pavers throughout.
  • Maintenance and repair costs

The samples for stamped/stained concrete that were shown to me were really nice looking but overall pavers had slight edge in terms of looks.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 06:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
get actual referrals (from each) of projects over 5 - 10 yrs old (Especially stamped concrete)

Personally... I would want a surface that would provide aquifer recharge (I've seen these in UK) Really BIG perf blocks you can drive on.

But... for simplicity, value, maint, and function, I would do stamped concrete or real stone. (If I knew precisely where installer was placing control joints + I had seen several jobs they had done and talked to owners.

I still get stamped concrete done for <$6/ SF. ~ $2 if I do it myself. (I stamp and stain for my own projects)

Old 02-02-2022, 06:44 PM

86 posts, read 72,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
get actual referrals (from each) of projects over 5 - 10 yrs old (Especially stamped concrete)

Personally... I would want a surface that would provide aquifer recharge (I've seen these in UK) Really BIG perf blocks you can drive on.

But... for simplicity, value, maint, and function, I would do stamped concrete or real stone. (If I knew precisely where installer was placing control joints + I had seen several jobs they had done and talked to owners.

I still get stamped concrete done for <$6/ SF. ~ $2 if I do it myself. (I stamp and stain for my own projects)
How do you get it done for <$6? Can you refer me anyone that you know? Thanks.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetrip29 View Post
How do you get it done for <$6? Can you refer me anyone that you know? Thanks.
I'm not in Seattle, and have a lot of friends who are contractors, so can plug into their 'free-time' (When they are paying employees, but slow on work. )

A lot depends on your site (access, grade, soils, distance to concrete batchplant...)

My issue with pavers is heaving soils / roots / rocks / weeds.

My issue with stamped is... will it stay nice! where will it crack? (It WILL crack)

Old 02-03-2022, 06:23 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Either can be okay but keep the surface smooth. We made a mistake and had a texture put on our back patio when it was poured, wish I had that decision back. It looks great and kind of Tuscan-like when it is dry/clean but tends to accumulate dirt/grime, pain in the butt to spray it out of the grooves.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:03 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
I did a patio in stamped/stained concrete w/ fire pit and it looked great and held up well.

The stain was a really nice PNW green.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:47 PM

10 posts, read 12,450 times
Stamped is less maintenance. Power wash it annually

Old 02-26-2022, 02:49 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,424 times
it will all get green ,black moldy in no time in the PNW u will need to
pressure wash it often if u want it looking good

Old 06-30-2022, 04:50 AM

5 posts, read 1,658 times
I dont live in seattle, but according to the work I have had, stamped concrete may be simple to scrub and requires no maintenance to stay, but its patterned appearance. One of its significant drawback is that it lacks durability compared to other finished surfaces!

Old 06-30-2022, 09:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
With our amount of rain, any large solid surface will eventually start to sink, often in one direction, and become out of level, or develop big cracks. Using something like pavers with the individual pieces and porous space in between allows the water to soak through evenly, and if there is any sinking, it can easily be corrected.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area