U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:07 PM

33 posts, read 80,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Yes, I realize that, and if it means moving to someplace like Austin than I'd rather not move.

I'm more than happy in Seattle....
Amen.

Austin is good for the small town playing big city feel-- but we've got Bellevue for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 06:15 PM

229 posts, read 482,407 times
Ok, Ill be specific. My daughter attended Highlands Elementary K thru 3rd and Maplewood Elementary for 4th grade. She NEVER had any homework K-2nd and had VERY LITTLE 3rd thru 4th. She never had any projects to work on and she told me she felt bored at school and that they spent too much time on basic writing and math (things she had covered again and again).
She has been attending Bartlett Elementary school down in Henderson, NV since November and has been overwhelmed (to say the least). Bartlett is ranked 5th in the state of Nevada and lived up to that ranking. My daughter consistantly had 2 hours a night of homework, had multiple papers, reports and even had to do her first science fair project. She complained and complained (I was smiling inside) but in the end (she just "graduated from 5th grade last night) she agreed that she learned alot and in HER opinion is getting a much better education compared to Highlands and Maplewood.
I couldnt agree more--3 A's, 2 B's, received a citizenship award, was on the A-B honor roll and was a 55+ miler in JAWS (every morning a student has the option of walking for 20-30 minutes and every time around the track gets the student a punch on a card--every 4 times around equals a mile).
There may be good schools in Renton so I shouldnt generalize but the schools she attended I consider to be average at best.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:24 PM

367 posts, read 778,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post

Austin is good for the small town playing big city feel-- but we've got Bellevue for that!
I'm not going to get into a Seattle v. Bellevue thing...but that's funny!

But in the interest of accuracy...

Austin 650K
Seattle 560K

Old 06-04-2008, 06:39 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,612,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post
Ok, Ill be specific. My daughter attended Highlands Elementary K thru 3rd and Maplewood Elementary for 4th grade. She NEVER had any homework K-2nd and had VERY LITTLE 3rd thru 4th. She never had any projects to work on and she told me she felt bored at school and that they spent too much time on basic writing and math (things she had covered again and again).
She has been attending Bartlett Elementary school down in Henderson, NV since November and has been overwhelmed (to say the least). Bartlett is ranked 5th in the state of Nevada and lived up to that ranking. My daughter consistantly had 2 hours a night of homework, had multiple papers, reports and even had to do her first science fair project. She complained and complained (I was smiling inside) but in the end (she just "graduated from 5th grade last night) she agreed that she learned alot and in HER opinion is getting a much better education compared to Highlands and Maplewood.
I couldnt agree more--3 A's, 2 B's, received a citizenship award, was on the A-B honor roll and was a 55+ miler in JAWS (every morning a student has the option of walking for 20-30 minutes and every time around the track gets the student a punch on a card--every 4 times around equals a mile).
There may be good schools in Renton so I shouldnt generalize but the schools she attended I consider to be average at best.
Sounds like she is more of a gifted student and needed a challenge. I have one of those and she doesn't complain about being bored, although she is in middle school.

Renton does not have 5th in the state ranked schools, far as I know, and those types of schools here are in Bellevue, Issaquah, Mercer Island, etc, judging from what everyone on this board says. I can't afford to live in those areas and send my kids to those schools, so I have to work with average, which is fine.

I do think it's weird that my girls don't have to do science projects. I'm not sure if that is the norm. I went to a Bellevue school when I had to do mine as a kid...maybe that has something to do with it. I don't know.

But as far as homework goes, I think my kids have enough. Honestly, I have so many that if they did have 2 hours of homework, we would all be dead in the water. But the elementary girls do most, if not all, of theirs at daycare. They have to do their reading at night when they get home. I even have a laminated refrigerator magnet that explains the basic homework they have to do every night for the whole year (this is for 2nd grade).

I like all the teachers I've met (haven't met most of the middle school teachers). One of my 2nd graders teachers even mailed out a letter a couple weeks before school started with her picture and her dog's picture, introducing herself. I think it was cool for the kids to get their own letter in the mail. My girls have a hard time keeping their glasses...they're on their 3rd or 4th pairs this school year, and I've received several calls and notes from their teachers and the nurses combined because they are concerned about it. The nurse at the middle school even helped me get the older girls some new glasses right away because they have DSHS medical and the glasses have taken up to 6 weeks to arrive once they're ordered. I haven't dealt with the schools you did.

I didn't intend for this post to be so long, but figured if you gave specifics against, I should do the same for since I was the one complaining.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
I'm not going to get into a Seattle v. Bellevue thing...but that's funny!

But in the interest of accuracy...

Austin 650K
Seattle 560K
Seattle is what, 3x as dense as Austin, though?

More than twice in the metro area, too.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:54 PM

367 posts, read 778,444 times
Quote:

Not arguing density or metro, just pointing out that you can't really call Austin a "small town" when it's got close to 100K more people than Seattle, is home to a major U, and and is quite a bit larger than any city in the PNW.

I don't have a dog in this fight though, so it's not that big of a deal.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:56 PM

1,957 posts, read 5,256,732 times
Quote:

I currently live in Austin and I love it.

I find that both places have a very similiar vibe. They are both outdoorsy(No skiing in Austin though, but we have sun, lakes, hills), have good music scenes (I personally like Austin's better but both are good), both have a trees (Oak trees are super cool looking, but so are the very tall fir trees in Seattle), and both are liberal.

I do find people in Austin to be more friendly and slower paced.

Seattle is a small unpopulated place compared to just about anyplace in CA.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:05 PM

No, I like Austin being a small city.

It's a Texas thing, y'all wouldn't understand.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 PM

84,738 posts, read 98,329,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, I've been looking into a pool for our eventual retirement property in Arizona and looks like I can get a basic in ground unit for under 30K - a bit more if I want some esthetics. Not more much than an average priced car.

Ken
This is true. And if you live in a climate with a short, but hot summer, like Denver's, you might choose a nice above ground pool for around $1000. Before we could afford that, we bought one at Toys R Us for much less.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:28 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,998,013 times
Quote:
No, I like Austin being a small city.

It's a Texas thing, y'all wouldn't understand.

Oh really?

I lived 25 years in Texas. My son was born in Austin and my dad has a house across the road from the Arboretum he bought new when it was on the far outskirts of town.

*Ya'll* would understand. Austin is a steambath and a hellhole of fire ants. You have to turn on the air conditioning in December if you want to light the fireplace for Christmas dinner. Roaches infest everything. Electric bills are otherworldly. But you missed the real fun in the 70's and 80's when Austin school districts were under court ordered school busing for racial desegregation. Yes indeed, those were the days.....

Austin sprawls across Travis country in every direction and the metro area has a million and a half people, all sweating to death from February to December. Glad you're so happy there--ya'll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or