Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 07:36 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

In response to Seattle's new minimum wage laws for delivery workers that began on Sunday Instacart, DoorDash and Uber Eats have raised rates.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...inimum-pay-law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 05:56 AM

367 posts, read 303,662 times

Old 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM

1,369 posts, read 713,424 times
This is great. Pay the higher rate and don’t tip your driver because they get paid a full wage. The entire US should work on this system as opposed to the bizarre tipping system we have now which allows businesses to skimp on paying their employees and make US responsible for it. What?

The apps should simply remove the option for tipping entirely. Right now, they’ve changed the default, in some cases, to zero. You don’t need to tip someone who is being paid a full wage. If you REALLY want to tip, give cash.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:10 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Just checked my Doordash and I didn't see any new fees at all. On a hypothetical $16 order from fairly nearby, there was a total $4.50-ish fee. That's pretty typical.

Maybe they're slowly implementing? Or maybe the fees are lower for in-city neighborhoods?

Old 01-16-2024, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
This is great. Pay the higher rate and don’t tip your driver because they get paid a full wage. The entire US should work on this system as opposed to the bizarre tipping system we have now which allows businesses to skimp on paying their employees and make US responsible for it. What?

The apps should simply remove the option for tipping entirely. Right now, they’ve changed the default, in some cases, to zero. You don’t need to tip someone who is being paid a full wage. If you REALLY want to tip, give cash.
I agree that it is great. When I moved to SW Washington back in 2007, I was delighted to find that both Oregon and Washington have a minimum server wage that is a livable wage, not the $2.13/hr (plus tips) that many states adhere to.

Previous to that, I had been a pretty generous tipper. However, it was relieving to find that WA and OR had that livable wage requirement for servers. It’s absolved me of needing to tip for almost 15 years.

I do want to point out two inaccuracies in your post, though.

First, if a tipped employee doesn’t earn the minimum wage for their shift, their employer must make up the difference.

Second is your fallacy of “make US responsible for it…” <— no matter what, as the customer, you always are responsible for it (paying the employees’ wages).

Last edited by zerp; 01-16-2024 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-16-2024, 03:42 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Bruh, are you going back to places to eat more than once...?

Old 01-16-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Bruh, are you going back to places to eat more than once...?
Sistah: me or Arcos?

Old 01-16-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post

That's coming as well...

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/uber-eat...r-minimum-wage

Old 01-16-2024, 06:55 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
I go through the same process each time I get food delivered, which is once every couple weeks or so. Self talk: “Damn I’d like to eat something interesting and different tonight. Damn those fees are expensive, I could pop in the car and go get take out and save some money. Damn that sounds like a lot of work when I’m so happy chilling here where I am at home. I’m going to look at the discount offers on app because they offset some of the fees”. I order, excitedly track it on the way, it’s never as tasty as fresh in the restaurant but the fees and the pretty dang good food seem like a reasonable trade for the fact I was able to relax.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I go through the same process each time I get food delivered, which is once every couple weeks or so. Self talk: “Damn I’d like to eat something interesting and different tonight. Damn those fees are expensive, I could pop in the car and go get take out and save some money. Damn that sounds like a lot of work when I’m so happy chilling here where I am at home. I’m going to look at the discount offers on app because they offset some of the fees”. I order, excitedly track it on the way, it’s never as tasty as fresh in the restaurant but the fees and the pretty dang good food seem like a reasonable trade for the fact I was able to relax.
No offence, but it's that sort of lazy a$$ed behaviour which means the house (in this case food delivery companies) will always win.

Long as people can't be bothered or otherwise can rationalize not getting up off their behinds and cooking food themselves/going to pick it up Uber, DoorDash and rest are in no danger of going out of business by being forced to pay higher costs. Rather they will do what all businesses do when faced with rising costs; bake it into CODB so consumers pay, and or find ways to lower said CODB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area