U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 PM

161 posts, read 378,250 times

Advertisements

I remember going to the Shop-rite on first hill. I don't miss that place though. I miss the Pink Zone and I also miss the old Broadway Market, theater and all.It was a great meeting place and people watching zone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:04 PM

8,287 posts, read 14,612,288 times
...and Lucky's at 14th and Pine.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:08 PM

161 posts, read 378,250 times
How could I have forgotten the Seattle Center and the NG theater with the springs in the seats and the rats running on stage. That place was cool. Before it closed, my friend saw Gwar there!Now we are getting this ginormous megaplex that looks gaudy. Yes, I agree the Seattle Center needs to bring back more shops inside. Its a dead zone. They should also bring back Lazer Cure.
Now what about Mocheesmo Mouse on Queen Anne? I didn't care for the food,but its still gone.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:30 PM

8,287 posts, read 14,612,288 times
Macheesmo Mouse was some of the worst Mexican food Seattle has ever seen, and Seattle's not a town known for Mexican food.
...But what I do miss in the Seattle center? The Bubbleator.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:50 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,324,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhen220 View Post
seattlerain & ebonari,
The store I was thinking of was on 55th & 35th. I do remember it having medical offices later on. Bill's Barbershop is the one! Can't believe he was still cutting hair until recently. My brothers were regulars too.
Now the real little store on 35th & 60th, I loved! Must of stopped by everyday on the way home from Bryant and got ice cube chocolates. I also remember when it became an antique store, guess they couldn't keep it open off our pennies!
We must of lived a block away from you on 38th Ave. There were a large group of us kids that played together. Haven't seen the neighborhood for over 25 years. Years ago I read about the remodel at Bryant Elementary. I had forgotten alot of things about the school, like separate playgrounds, not skipping any steps, etc.

Wow, what a coincidence! I would have never thought I'd run into somebody on here from the old neighborhood...

Did you grow up north or south of 60th...? My block had the Durkin's, the OíNeillís, the Harvey's the Baker's the McKagan's, the Rivera's, the Linderís and several more that I can't remember, mostly those that didn't have children my age.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:54 AM

116 posts, read 204,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Wow, what a coincidence! I would have never thought I'd run into somebody on here from the old neighborhood...

Did you grow up north or south of 60th...? My block had the Durkin's, the OíNeillís, the Harvey's the Baker's the McKagan's, the Rivera's, the Linderís and several more that I can't remember, mostly those that didn't have children my age.
We were on the corner of 57th & 38th. Not sure if that's north or south, LOL. Who would have thought that Matt McKagan (who I babysat once) would have grown up to be in Guns & Roses. Do you remember the house that burned down? Whenever I smell fire, I still think of that tragedy.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:50 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,324,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhen220 View Post
We were on the corner of 57th & 38th. Not sure if that's north or south, LOL. Who would have thought that Matt McKagan (who I babysat once) would have grown up to be in Guns & Roses. Do you remember the house that burned down? Whenever I smell fire, I still think of that tragedy.
I'm trying to remember the people who lived on the corner of 57th & 38th; the Linder's and the Boyer's are the only names that come to mind...

There were eight McKagen children, of which I can remember Matt, Duff, Claudia, Joan, Jon and Mark. Duff is the youngest and he was in Guns & Roses, Matt is a few years older than Duff. I think Matt would be around 48 or 49 and Duff around 44.

I do remember that tragic fire...as you might remember the fire station was up on 55th and 32nd so we used to hear the sirens quite often, and for years after that awful fire whenever I would here the fire truck I would think of that fire. As I remember it was a faulty lamp cord that started it. Those two kids that died would have been in their late 40's or early 50's by now. It's strange that I don't remember their names.

Isn't it funny to run into somebody that shares some of the same memories on a message board like this? Gotta love it!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:56 AM

260 posts, read 550,485 times
I lived in the middle of 28th just up from 60th.

I don't remember the names of the stores... but there was a five and dime where I'd go and drool over all the things I couldn't buy, and grocery store, and a deli across the street... we used to go there for canned fried potatoes and Green Rivers. Down the street was a Chinese restaurant that had the best pork fried rice, and then of course Ravenna Park, which was my home away from home, until I was old enough to go to Greenlake.

Did you go to Bryant? I was there from 1956 until 1962, when we moved closer to Wedgewood and Lake City

Quote:

Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 AM

Yes, I remember that antique store too. After I got out of high school, some friends and I rented a house just down the street from there... just before the cemetery.

Quote:
I grew up on 38th Ave NE between NE 57th ST and NE 60th ST and went to Bryant Elementary too!

There was a small store on 35th and 60th that I remember...is that the one you referring to? Eventually the store went out of business and an antique store moved in...

Old 06-17-2008, 08:01 AM

The Bubbleator is now a green house is someone's back yard...

What a waste...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Macheesmo Mouse was some of the worst Mexican food Seattle has ever seen, and Seattle's not a town known for Mexican food.
...But what I do miss in the Seattle center? The Bubbleator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area