Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 11:15 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I miss the Gravity Bar from the Broadway Market.
I haven't been up to the Broadway Market since it was remodeled, did there used to be a B&O Espresso stand next to, or near the Gravity Bar...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponabri View Post
I remember a big restaurant that was called The Smorgasbord, just before you got to Ravenna park...

Another great place... with the wading pool. And daycamp at Carkeek park.

And when Dairy Queen first opened, we'd walk down after dinner for ice cream cones.

The daycamp at Carkeek Park...now that is something I haven't thought about in years!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponabri View Post
While I don't think they have vanished, I know they have changed... Northlake Tavern (best pizza in the world), and the Italian Spaghetti House on Lake City Way.. I celebrated my 18th birthday there with a cast party from the Nathan Hale Drama department.

Dick's in Lake City... okay, I know that one hasn't changed.... still the best French fries anywhere...

The Jolly Roger?

Oh, and Playland, do you remember that one?

There was a shoe store across the street from Northgate, it was there for years. When I was about three, we lived behind it, and back storeroom was my playground.

Speaking of Northgate, anyone remember the Singing Christmas Tree? My CampFire group sang on it... I think I was about nine.

Do you remember the search lights at night? Sometimes they were to advertise the opening of a new store, but sometimes they were actually searching for airplanes.

I remember that giant slide they used to have at Playland...they would give you a burlap bag to slide down on it.

Yeah, I remember the singing Christmas Tree, that was back before the mall was enclosed...

I remember the search lights too...

Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Quote:
I haven't been up to the Broadway Market since it was remodeled, did there used to be a B&O Espresso stand next to, or near the Gravity Bar...?
The Gravity Bar was across from the Candy store, and it was on the street side. I think B&O was around the corner. If you walked in the middle door from Broadway (vs coming in on the right or left side corners from the streer), with Fred Meyer directly in front of you - Gravity Bar was on your left. It was a Juice bar with vegetarian light meals. When I met my husband he was a juicer there...

Old 06-20-2008, 02:39 AM

260 posts, read 926,167 times
I wonder if we were there the same time..

Remember songs like Bingo, Little Bunny Foo Foo, Kookaburra?

My favorite time was always craft time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
The daycamp at Carkeek Park...now that is something I haven't thought about in years!

Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 AM

My favorite ride at Playland was the log ride, where you ended up soaking wet at the end.

Quote:
I remember that giant slide they used to have at Playland...they would give you a burlap bag to slide down on it.

Yeah, I remember the singing Christmas Tree, that was back before the mall was enclosed...

I remember the search lights too...

Old 06-20-2008, 02:43 AM

Herfy's at Northgate was my hang out. We'd park in the back and eat fries with tartar sauce while blasting CCR on everyone's car radios...

My mom and dad went to Lincoln and I actually found my dad's sophomore class picture on Ancestry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Vee View Post
My Dad and I were talking about Playland last night. It was long gone by the time I was born, but he was telling about his Cub Scout troop taking a trip to Playland when he was a kid

The other ones he mentioned: Lincoln High (building is still there and being used as a temp high school for other area schools under construction...but the Lincoln Lynx are gone forever

And the original Herfy's restaurants - not the rediculous Teriyaki joints that are calling themselves Herfys now...

Old 06-20-2008, 02:47 AM

I vaguely remember that burger place, but I don't remember the name.

I wanted to go to Assumption... I was fascinated by the nuns and envious of the black lace veils that were worn to Mass. But the time I became a Catholic, all of that was gone...

I went to Bryant for kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade, to Ravenna for 3rd, back to Bryant, and the Maple Leaf for 6th grade.

Quote:
Yes, first year at Bryant was 1960, by the time I was ready for the 3rd grade I went to Assumption for one year, then back to Bryant.

Do you remember the name of the burger joint that was on the corner of 25th and 55th? Years ago before it was Kidd Valley it was something else...but I can't remember the name of it.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:49 AM

Yeah, if I remember correctly, there was a Dag's by Greenlake on Aurora and another one in Ballard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
...And what about Dag's? Years ago I learned that a dag is something that hangs from the rear end of a sheep ( Australian slang). No wonder I'm still digesting that Dag's burger I ate 30 years ago. The Grand Dag.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:51 AM

Does anyone remember Shelley's Leg? It was a disco night club downtown. Also the Monastery, and Warehouse Tavern....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area