U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
 
191 posts, read 439,651 times
Reputation: 217

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is partly societies fault. Not saying that excuses it but; when a society discriminates and keeps certain groups out of the mainstream economy (in the US's case, blacks, hispanics and to a lesser extent Italians), those groups create their own underground economy, usually through illegal activity. Once that seed is planted it's hard stop that tree from growing.

Our society is made up of Blacks, Hispanics, Italians, and many other ethnicities. So what you are saying is that Blacks, Hispanics, and Italians are keeping themselves out of the mainstream economy.

The economy is a racist; it promotes green-backs over all others. When individuals of any ethnicity find themselves ostracized it's because they fail to conform the requirements of their local economy. Instead of conforming, they blame, they play the role of the victim, the downtrodden, of the "underprivileged".

There is a good ol' boy network. It's centered around wealth, not race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2010, 11:41 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,111 posts, read 21,213,335 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
Our society is made up of Blacks, Hispanics, Italians, and many other ethnicities. So what you are saying is that Blacks, Hispanics, and Italians are keeping themselves out of the mainstream economy.

The economy is a racist; it promotes green-backs over all others. When individuals of any ethnicity find themselves ostracized it's because they fail to conform the requirements of their local economy. Instead of conforming, they blame, they play the role of the victim, the downtrodden, of the "underprivileged".

There is a good ol' boy network. It's centered around wealth, not race.
I wasn't talking about present day. If you're telling me that throughout history that the playing field has always been a level one then I cannot take you seriously at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 AM
 
191 posts, read 439,651 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I wasn't talking about present day. If you're telling me that throughout history that the playing field has always been a level one then I cannot take you seriously at all.
You'd be a fool to take me seriously, but that's not the point. I was not aware that we were discussing obscure historical economic theory. I had assumed we were taking about the United States in the current age.

We live in a strange age where if you hire someone because they are black you are called good things, while if you hire someone because they are white you are called a racist. Look at your nearest job board and you will see a term "Diversity Candidates", which means "We are only looking for non-Caucasians for this role.

You'll note I avoid the word "minority". It's a word that is both inaccurate and full of political (not societal) meaning.

Economies have never been fair; they have always favored the wealthy over the poor, and still do to this day.

Last edited by Patron of Wrath; 05-04-2010 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Addendum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 AM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 11,418,998 times
Reputation: 3535
I can't believe there are so many people on here who seem to refuse to believe that Seattle has gangs. Seattle has had gangs for many years now.
Even a few towns in my state have them now.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/s...tlegangmap.gif

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-22-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 10:01 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,111 posts, read 21,213,335 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
You'd be a fool to take me seriously, but that's not the point. I was not aware that we were discussing obscure historical economic theory. I had assumed we were taking about the United States in the current age.

We live in a strange age where if you hire someone because they are black you are called good things, while if you hire someone because they are white you are called a racist. Look at your nearest job board and you will see a term "Diversity Candidates", which means "We are only looking for non-Caucasians for this role.

You'll note I avoid the word "minority". It's a word that is both inaccurate and full of political (not societal) meaning.

Economies have never been fair; they have always favored the wealthy over the poor, and still do to this day.
Sounds like we're actually in agreement, we're just getting to the point from two different angles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,111 posts, read 21,213,335 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I can't believe there are so many people on here who seem to refuse to believe that Seattle has gangs. Seattle has had gangs for many years now.
Even a few towns in my state have them now.
I knew there were bloods and crips in Seattle. I don't know what a disciple gangster is though. I didn't know the surenos were there either. I guess their arch rivals the nortenos will arrive shortly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
425 posts, read 644,875 times
Reputation: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I can't believe there are so many people on here who seem to refuse to believe that Seattle has gangs. Seattle has had gangs for many years now.
Even a few towns in my state have them now.
Um...may I add that there will be gangs and violence, theft all that stuff anywhere in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
293 posts, read 907,335 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I knew there were bloods and crips in Seattle. I don't know what a disciple gangster is though. I didn't know the surenos were there either. I guess their arch rivals the nortenos will arrive shortly.
The Disciples are a gang from Chicago. They have been in Seattle for years now.

Gangster Disciples - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as the Nortenos, they are already in Seattle. I see their grafitti in bathrooms in gas stations and restaurants sometimes "NORTE" and "XIV"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,111 posts, read 21,213,335 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
The Disciples are a gang from Chicago. They have been in Seattle for years now.

Gangster Disciples - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as the Nortenos, they are already in Seattle. I see their grafitti in bathrooms in gas stations and restaurants sometimes "NORTE" and "XIV"
Interesting. Sureno Norteno type gang is one I'm still getting familiar with as the Hispanics gangs in San Diego are of a completely different type.

Seattle may not have as many gangs as other cities but it seems to have a bigger variety of gang cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2010, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Seattle
54 posts, read 183,202 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
Um...may I add that there will be gangs and violence, theft all that stuff anywhere in the world.
I can think of a buttload of other countries that do not have gangs and gang related violence (especially murders). Thinking like that just brings about denial.

And the graphic shows just Seattle, try expanding the grid to include areas like Everett and Tacoma and see how many more gangs pop up. Nortenos are already up here as well as ms-13 (read about marijuana farms on state parks being run/guarded by them)

Disciples have been around a long time. I believe the Sehawk that was involved in a murder had ties to them somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top