Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 PM

20 posts, read 90,950 times

Advertisements

Hi, got_rain. We just moved here a few months ago from North Park in San Diego. We looked at living in Ballard, Fremont, Queen Anne and Wallingford. I would check out all of those areas when you get here and go with what you feel fits you best. Ballard really reminds me a lot of North Park in terms of what kind of neighborhood it has been and what kind of neighborhood it is now. If you are comfortable with the kind of crime/graffiti/noise you have near University Ave West of the 805 in North Park then you won't be phased by anything happening in Ballard. Fremont and Wallingford have a more Hillcrest vibe to them in terms of dining and shopping. Capitol Hill is more like Hillcrest in terms of demographics and nightlife. Upper Queen Anne = Mission Hills. We landed in Queen Anne because we wanted to live in house and after living in the heart of North Park we were ready for a walkable neighborhood where you can still sleep with the windows open. So far we are really happy here compared to SD. We left some very good friends behind but mostly we were unhappy with the vibe there for all the reasons you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Seems like in SoCal there is some kind of stigma against taking public transportation, that it's something a professional wouldn't do, but that stigma totally doesn't exist in Seattle.
Ira, you are spot on. Another factor is that riding the bus in SD just does not feel as safe as it does many other places. I was harassed constantly on the buses in SD. I really wasn't expecting it having lived in large cities and taking public transit in many parts of the world but it made taking the bus far less of a viable option for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 8,313 times
Default Ballard more kid-friendly, but Fremont just a few minutes away is worth every weekend!

I'm a student at the UW in Seattle so I frequent the Ballard and Fremont neighborhoods a lot. I actually grew up in San Diego till I was about 8 and then moved to Portland, OR so I think I have a pretty good idea where you're coming from. I went back to San Diego to see some family over spring break and I definately feel a connection to the city, but it's not in the same way in Seattle. The Seattle "connection" revolves around the enchanting landscape and Northwestern weather that makes everyone melancholy but in a good way--it forces people to stay inside and think about their lives, read T.S. Elliot over tea, or take a walk outside really enjoying the scenery because it certainly isn't the weather that beckons outside adventures (except for the two sunny months of the year of course). Ballard seems to be more of a kid friendly environment, but I adore Fremont for its sort of renegade artsy feel. I mean they have a giant statue of Vladimir Lenin to greet you, a giant stone Troll, vegan bakeries and European bistros, and the most adorable apartment buildings ever to be built. Ballard is what's left over of a Swedish fishing offshoot of Seattle and it's just as cute, a little less on the crazy side, but complete with murals of sailboats and Scandinavian settlers, pretty views of the water, delicious bakeries, and a more residential feel. The houses are either antique and adorable or new and sophisticated. You might want to check out Greenlake too. They all kind of run into each other and Greenlake has a lot of new affordable, kid-friendly neighborhoods right next to the water, the zoo, the parks, Fremont is down the road, the space needle right across, and Seattle Pacific right down the street. But Ballard would be my pick. And it's just a hop to Fremont. Hope that helps...

Old 06-21-2008, 08:53 AM

21 posts, read 80,248 times
Wow. Rubyvroom and KMel, what great advice and tips. I can't wait to get there and smell that air again. I know the weather isn't like San Diego, but I love the rain and I won't miss the people here...except my friends of course. The food, the trees, the rain, the sushi, Pike Place. I love it.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:18 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Pacific NW | Priced Out: Fleeing Seattle's costly core, they live on the edge | Seattle Times Newspaper
You noted that what you liked about those neighborhoods were they both had an artsy vibe. Above is a link to an article regarding people that bring such a vibe to a neighborhood being priced out. It will be interesting to see if Ballard and Fremont maintain their character 10 years from now. Fremont is a far different place than when I lived there 15 years ago, and to be honest, it makes me a little sad when I go back to visit.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:23 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Fremont is a far different place than when I lived there 15 years ago, and to be honest, it makes me a little sad when I go back to visit.

Me too.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 14,751 times
Rubyvroom, I thank you for this advice - we are from Mission hills and about to relocate - it's so helpful having the comparison between Seattle neighborhoods and SD neighborhoods.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:26 PM

221 posts, read 797,858 times
Ballard has a better and more diverse nightlife than Fremont...

Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 PM

38 posts, read 99,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by got_rain? View Post
I actually am entertaining not driving. Here in SoCal without a car, you're dead because freeways rule. I would like to live close to work and take public transportation. Great tip on the bridge traffic. Now I feel like I'm "in-the-know".
You really wont want to take public transportation. You will be OVER IT very fast. Rainy, overcrowded busses + tons of crackheads= whoa baby I've got some stories!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 PM

38 posts, read 99,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by got_rain? View Post
Wow. Rubyvroom and KMel, what great advice and tips. I can't wait to get there and smell that air again. I know the weather isn't like San Diego, but I love the rain and I won't miss the people here...except my friends of course. The food, the trees, the rain, the sushi, Pike Place. I love it.

Everyone says that before they move here to convince themselves that they wont mind it because they "love the rain." I just think that's funny. I have heard that so much... then you talk to them a year later.....

I Loved the rain too..before I moved here. Now, well.... I freaking HATE IT!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 PM

20 posts, read 90,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
Everyone says that before they move here to convince themselves that they wont mind it because they "love the rain." I just think that's funny. I have heard that so much... then you talk to them a year later.....

I Loved the rain too..before I moved here. Now, well.... I freaking HATE IT!
Okay, I'll bite.

I've been here for over a year and I still love the rain. However I was happy with the weather when I lived in a (very) foggy part of San Francisco so I had a pretty good idea of what I could handle weather-wise.

Moving to San Diego however was a huge adjustment for me and one that I had a lot of difficulty with. I eventually made a grudging truce with all that sunshine but overall I prefer the variability you get in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area