Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 03:19 PM

426 posts, read 1,733,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I'm visiting Milwaukee in August. Do I need to bring my bullet proof vest? I didn't know I was going to such a violent place!
Most people don't. Most people think Milwaukee is some all-white blue-collar town. The crime is definitely situated in neighborhoods, but there definitely is a lot of it. Shootings occur almost every weekend (and probably day), some that extend into the more upper-class areas and entertainment districts. Marquette students downtown are semi-frequently attacked. Three hispanic men just shot a Miller Brewing executive in the head three times for "looking rich" and then got in a fight over whether or not they should use his court-side Bucks seats.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,053 times
Unhappy Racism here is subtle and not transparent

I take the bus to downtown once in a while and on 2 occasions have witnessed something that I have never seen in all my life living in Los Angeles. An African-Am lady with her young son trying to get off the bus but people who were trying to get in did not have the common courtesy, decency and/or etiquette to let her and her son exit first. It's just so disheartening to see that in the new millenium.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:24 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,756,135 times
That's not racism, that's impatience.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:34 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,700,778 times
Some so-called "progressives" are some of the most close-minded people I've ever encountered, and Seattle's are no better than any other place's, if not worse. That being said, you're much more likely to encounter passive-aggression there than actual racism.

Also, as for Seattle's "segregation", the International district is Asian, the Central District is historically black and just about every other neighborhood is lily-white. Is it segregation? Not sure.

Last edited by creepsinc; 07-12-2008 at 09:58 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 01:13 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,585,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Dee Dah View Post
I take the bus to downtown once in a while and on 2 occasions have witnessed something that I have never seen in all my life living in Los Angeles. An African-Am lady with her young son trying to get off the bus but people who were trying to get in did not have the common courtesy, decency and/or etiquette to let her and her son exit first. It's just so disheartening to see that in the new millenium.
I ride the bus everyday, and see that happening to white people, asian people, any people. It's happened to me before (white) and it will happen again. I don't think it had anything to do with the color of her skin.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:13 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,068,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I don't think it had anything to do with the color of her skin.
I agree completely -- the event was about the impatience of the rider trying to board the bus, not about racism at all. In over 20 years of riding Metro busses daily, I've sometimes seen impatient riders be rude, and hardly any riders be racist ...

Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM

10 posts, read 31,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I grew up in Wisconsin and most people are very progressive but also slightly racist, including myself. When you grow up in Milwaukee, which is about 20% white and also one of the poorest, most violent cities in America, it is just hard not to be. ANYWAYZ:

How is Seattle in this regard? If I moved to Seattle, should I expect to be ostracized for comments that might be considered racially insensitive?
How can you be very progressive if you are slightly racist don't make any sense...gotta love these so called progressive people they have an answer for everything.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:03 PM

482 posts, read 942,476 times
Err, is it Comfortably Numb, or Comfortably Dumb? Just checking.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 14,951 times
I am an asian indian...I always do and wanted to mingle with ppl from every background...very open minded...I travelled across the globe...lived in different countries...learnt diff cultures....rite now i live in houston, texas, its not easy out here(personal life is not good- ppl dont mingle especially given my background)...so i wanted to move to seattle and meet real ppl...pls suggest me and help me decide...

Old 07-11-2009, 09:19 AM

5,003 posts, read 12,330,032 times
Seattle is very tolerant. As another poster pointed out, we have a very high number of mixed marriages and people (I contribute to that, I'm white and my wife is Japanese).

There was one incident where an old dude on a bus called my wife a "yellow devil" but I attribute that to being a crotchety old man.

I know what you mean about people being silently racist / prejudiced. I grew up in Chicago but with the exception of the near north side, neighborhoods are very pocketed and people stick to themselves. Recently there's been an influx of well-to-do Muslims in the suburb where my dad lives and all the Christian groups came out and were like "NIMBY!!!" Even where my mom lives on the south side, blacks are looked down upon and some are prejudiced against asians (argument: they're rude, A types and smell bad). Then in public or in talking with others, they'll be all nice and whatnot.

Seattle's different. They honestly either accept and embrace other cultures or just don't care.

Of course everything I said is broad strokes and it takes all kinds to make this world, you will always find exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area