Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I grew up in Wisconsin and most people are very progressive but also slightly racist, including myself. When you grow up in Milwaukee, which is about 20% white and also one of the poorest, most violent cities in America, it is just hard not to be. ANYWAYZ:

How is Seattle in this regard? If I moved to Seattle, should I expect to be ostracized for comments that might be considered racially insensitive?
Why do you want to be prejudice? And Milwaukee is not 20% white, but 40% white. And so what if Milwaukee has some violence issues. Atlanta,GA, the city I live near, has a violent crime rate higher than Milwaukee's. I also lived in an area where I was constantly getting messed with for being African-American. Am I going to be prejudice against all White people? No I am not. I don't have a reason to be. I used to live in the Seattle area and I quite liked it. I know there is prejudice everywhere, but I don't think you need to take an attitude like that with you to Seattle.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Seattle isn't as bad as it was before. The papers here talked about how KKK had HQ in Seattle (Local News | UW project sheds light on Ku Klux Klan as force in the state | Seattle Times Newspaper) and all... but racism isn't overt here. The PC mentality has long ago taken over and now no one wants to be regarded as racist so there are people here who will do anything not to appear as so.

Another article talks about Racism in Seattle life many years ago. I can't imagine the actions done back then being done now at all. Pacific NW | The Power of the Pool: Issues of class, culture and political priorities swirl | Seattle Times Newspaper
The KKK also had an HQ in Portland,OR too. In the 1920's, the KKK was all over the USA.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:20 AM

3 posts, read 7,239 times
Question Racism in Seattle?

My fiance and I plan on moving to Redmond or Bellevue next month and after reading a few posts on here I am very curious about what we should expect in terms of racism. He's white and I'm black.
Any thoughts?

Old 06-05-2010, 05:48 AM

191 posts, read 510,717 times
If you are looking for racism then look no further than Affirmative Action. If you are looking for the Klan, then you wont find it in Seattle. If you are "looking" for racism in Seattle, I can assure you you'll "find" it; not because people care about your color, but because you, like so many of our generation, have been culturally brainwashed to believe that all negativity directed towards you is because of the color of your skin, not because people are d1cks.

Was that last a run-on sentence? My apologies if it was, but I can assure you that any correction of my grammar is because of racism, not because I suck at English.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:09 AM

All it takes is one quack with a KKK sign for the news media to sensationalize an article about "Klan in Seattle!". The KKK only truly lives on in a few isolated locations in the deep south. Accusations of Klan activity, or Neo-Nazi activity, are great ways for the establishment to distract us from the true issues of inequity that our society faces; like the ever widening gap between the rich and poor.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
All it takes is one quack with a KKK sign for the news media to sensationalize an article about "Klan in Seattle!". The KKK only truly lives on in a few isolated locations in the deep south. Accusations of Klan activity, or Neo-Nazi activity, are great ways for the establishment to distract us from the true issues of inequity that our society faces; like the ever widening gap between the rich and poor.
MOST of the Klan activity is in the South. There is thought to be a klan unit in the state of Washington, but the location is not listed. That unit might be gone now. And you do have a point about the establishment stirring up things to distract people. People will take what is true, and use it for abusive reasons.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:00 AM

Yeah, like I said, one quack with a KKK sign is all it takes for people to say "There is a Klan presence here.".

Old 06-05-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
Yeah, like I said, one quack with a KKK sign is all it takes for people to say "There is a Klan presence here.".
It would take that.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:57 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForwardtoWA View Post
My fiance and I plan on moving to Redmond or Bellevue next month and after reading a few posts on here I am very curious about what we should expect in terms of racism. He's white and I'm black.
Any thoughts?
Well, Microsoft has a big influence on Redmond and to a smaller extent Bellevue, and Microsoft has a very diverse workforce. The Seattle area in general is thought of as accepting and tolerant.
My feeling is that you'd have more trouble in downtown Bellevue if you were observed driving an older, run down car than if you were a mixed couple.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 AM

Yeah, Microsoft's work-force is as diverse as the H1-B visa allows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area