Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 05:21 PM

32 posts, read 149,059 times

Advertisements

Today's weather in Seattle is amazing! Can anyone currently living in Seattle give me an idea as to how often these type days (few or no clouds, nice blue sky, moderate temps), occur in the East Bay part of the San Francisco metro area?

I am considering a move to that area because of a job opportunity in San Francisco. My other half and I have come to the conclusion that we are most likely to own a home in that area if it is in the Berkeley or Oakland area (generally). Without turning this discussion into one of real estate, and realizing that where I may be working in San Francisco has a sort of unique weather situation of its own, what is East Bay weather like? Are there more clear days throughout the year as compared to Seattle? How are the temps, pretty moderate like Seattle from what I can see? Are there weeks of seemingly unbreakable clouds like there are here in the winter (lately spring, summer and fall too).

I don't need this type of weather everyday, heck, I grew up in New Jersey with cold and depressing winters. I do miss the fact that even in New Jersey during the winter there were days with some sun. I'm hoping the East Bay area may give me some of that back. I have had difficulty adjusting to the cloudy Seattle weather, even after four years of being here.

One last unrelated question, how green and lush is the East Bay area? I'm into landscaping, nice gardens and lush greenery. Am I going to be giving this up? It's been a few years since I've visited and I can't remember too well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:39 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,722,636 times
Oakland is hot and dry in the summer. Frost is rare. Many things grow well there.

But um, this is the Washington forum. Maybe you should have this post moved to the California forum. Seattle climate does not resemble Oakland climate.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:40 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,346 times
Looks like Oakland gets A LOT more sun than Seattle:

Oakland: http://www.city-data.com/city/Oakland-California.html

http://pics2.city-data.com/w7/cld2288.png (broken link) http://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun2288.png (broken link)

Seattle: http://www.city-data.com/city/Seattle-Washington.html
http://pics2.city-data.com/w7/cld23292.png (broken link) http://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun23292.png (broken link)

Old 06-28-2008, 01:51 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,851,603 times
I lived in Fremont, and the weather there is like this a good part of the year, though in the summer it can get hotter. The weather there is much better than Seattle. I don't think there's very many days when it's frosty, maybe a couple days in Dec/Jan. It's been a few years since I lived there.

I've also lived in New Jersey. Small world.

Everything in CA seems much more brown compared to WA, but you can definitely have a nice lawn and garden there.

V. =)

Old 06-28-2008, 09:55 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,175 times
There is a drought in CA, and mandatory water rationing went into effect last month in the East Bay.

EBMUD Drought Help Center

In general, though, the climate in Alameda and Contra Costa counties is very nice.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:07 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,174 times
This one caught my eye. I live in Piedmont, which is a city surrounded completely by Oakland. At the moment the skies are gray but that's due to half of California being on fire.

Normally there are two seasons in Oakland wet/cool and dry/blazing hot. Our winter weather is very much like Seattle though slightly warmer. Frosts are rare. Generally from April to October it doesn't rain. In the middle of summer you can hope the fog will reach this side of the bay to give a break from the heat. In summer, I spend a great deal of time in Alameda where the cooling breeze on the bay is usually present because just on the other side of the estuary in Oakland, there's no hint of a breeze and the sun is unrelenting.

A bright and sunny day when the temperature is between 65-75 is just great but when it's in the 90s-100s (frequent) and the air is thick with pollutants (no wind or rain to clean the air for months) it's not nearly a pleasant as you might imagine.

The past two winters were very dry so we are back to water rationing. Our last big drought in the late 1980s lasted 6 years. That was loads of laughs. It wasn't a particularly sunny winter either. We had the same months on end of gray skies but for some reason the clouds just wouldn't give up the water. We had 22 solid days of torrential downpour but it unfortunately wasn't enough. With a 15% cut in water usage we'll be fine.

Anyway, as soon as the smoke clears and a breeze comes up to blow the smog out, we'll have plenty of sun for you. Come on down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area