Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:50 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
They're unfriendly because quite frankly you're odd. Plain and simple I dont sugar coat. A black guy with an Indian is not only uncommon its quite frankly not good statuswise in the Indian community. Like I said I speak reality whether or not its PC in your world. If they dont want to talk to you go find people who do. This is America, people dont have to like you or what you stand for. Yet anyway
Yes, but we also are free to point out that it's unpleasant and considered discourteous in this country, just as we do to American bigots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
So, is the caste system racist, since skin color (light to dark) is a pretty heavy component in it? I don't think we should necessarily expect people to abandon life-long beliefs, but neither need we approve of beliefs that contradict our own values.
Yes ..... they might deny it nowadays, but it's hard to change completely in a few decades. It's common in many Asian countries, even ones like Thailand where most people are brown (sales of skin whiteners to women are astronomical there) And remember, we Americans had similar views before about 1960.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 11:56 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
They're unfriendly because quite frankly you're odd. Plain and simple I dont sugar coat. A black guy with an Indian is not only uncommon its quite frankly not good statuswise in the Indian community. Like I said I speak reality whether or not its PC in your world. If they dont want to talk to you go find people who do. This is America, people dont have to like you or what you stand for. Yet anyway
With all due respect, black and Indian couples aren't THAT rare. They are rare in the Pacific NW (and that, in my opinion, is largely a function of the low POC percentage overall in the area), but it's not like it's completely out of the ordinary for that coupling to happen.

How would I know? I guess because I dated an Indian man for several months (before I met my now-husband). I went to several "Indian" events with him in Bellevue and was not always the only black person there. That coupling DEFINITELY occurs, though I think it's not all that publicized.

Still, it's important to note that the coupling is not entirely without precedence:

Mississippi Masala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The female half of the couple in this Youtube video mentions that she is the product of an African and Indian couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeCgBQWkAVk

I mean, I get what you are saying and I won't pretend that colorism and classism isn't part of the equation. Still, I felt it was important to show another side ... as there are myriad sides to such concepts and the key to life is being open to those other sides.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:21 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
obviously a touchy and possibly sensitive subject. since we are talking in generalizations here, it is also important to note that although i am writing as if all people are the same, everyone is an individual so there could easily be individuals that prove me wrong.

i have actually had a good experience with Indian folks that i work with. they are pleasant, polite, friendly, and help...once you get to know them. this last part is important because i only know them through work and it is because we work together that i know them. i have never met an Indian person as a friend outside of work or another organized activity (e.g. school). i have never made friends with an Indian person outside of these fixed situations (e.g. talking to someone at a bar, neighbor, etc.). i have met some Indian folks at gatherings at a friend's house but it's just that...we meet, chat for a few minutes, and that's it.

i think that Indian people are cool and very nice once you have crossed that initial bridge where you now know each other. they are fiercely loyal and will help you and look out for you.

however, if they don't know you, they are distant. randomly chatting on the street rarely will work. you need to be formally introduced or like me...put into a situation where you are brought together (work, school, etc.).

east asians (chinese, japanese, korean, etc....(like me)) tend to be nice and polite to everyone, not just people that they know. sure, i get riled up every now and then but usually i give people the benefit of the doubt (e.g. if i see a car speeding past me on the freeway i just say "oh, he must be in a rush to get somewhere important"). when i was in college, i forgot what we were doing but one of my roommates once said something like "can you clean the toilet instead because i really hate having to do that." my other roommate was like "wtf? i really hate having to do that too" and the first guy said "no but you don't understand, i REALLY hate it" and the other guy just said "well i REALLY hate it", etc. i was like "dude, the first guy obviously really hates it enough to make it a point to say that so let's just clean it", etc. but it's not all good. i tend to avoid confrontation, probably get taken advantage of sometimes, etc. but i'm never rude to anyone in public, etc.

RVD.

RVD.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,844 times
Prejudice & racism happens & will continue to happen all over the world.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,844 times
First generation people who immigrate to a new place don't feel comfortable & will usually stick to what's familiar. My parents are Mexican and resent interracial couples and their offspring. I don't really see any barriers between people except religion or political ideologies.

I have met several people from all over Asia. I can say that it's not east to adjust here. I'm sorry to hear you feel that cold stare about marrrying someone you truly love. It happens to many people that are willing to follow their heart. Good luck to both of you and remember this is a natural way for these people to react since most Indians are conditioned to follow a set pattern of life; staying single or being a single divorced parent can make Indians resentful of their own as well.....you can't please everybody!!!!

Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 PM

412 posts, read 386,041 times
From what I know of India, light Indians even frown on dark Indians. And "Fair and Lovely" is sold to women to "raise their status". The roots of culture in India are deep and divisive. They had "varna" which was color based. The darkest Indians were only fit for the dirtiest jobs. The "rudeness" is inherited from the most ancient times. One actress, Nandita Das, refuses any role that doesn't totally except her "wheatish" complexion To me, her complexion is her best feature.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:43 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogod View Post
I doubt that. Racism is not a western, and not a recent, invention.
True. Asian friends have told me about experiencing prejudice from other asians. Some blacks prefer to marry lighter skinned blacks. Native Americans used to enslave members of other tribes. Indians are said to prefer to marry lighter skinned Indians.

I sometimes think racism is like religious fundamentalism in that it's a purported excuse for money and power grabbing. Like the inquisition and witch hunts. Much of that was scapegoating and a smokescreen to lord it over others and to advance ones own position.

If we all looked the same and had the same traits, inevitably, people would come up with some other excuse to do well at the expense of others.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:42 AM

412 posts, read 386,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
True. Asian friends have told me about experiencing prejudice from other asians. Some blacks prefer to marry lighter skinned blacks. Native Americans used to enslave members of other tribes. Indians are said to prefer to marry lighter skinned Indians.

I sometimes think racism is like religious fundamentalism in that it's a purported excuse for money and power grabbing. Like the inquisition and witch hunts. Much of that was scapegoating and a smokescreen to lord it over others and to advance ones own position.

If we all looked the same and had the same traits, inevitably, people would come up with some other excuse to do well at the expense of others.
Chinese are scorned in India from what I hear. Always wonder how the Tibetans, of whom there are quite a few in northern India are treated. Yes, for sure, white supremacy is hardly unique in the world. But colonialism did spread that ONE kind a lot further.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 394 times
Many Indians in Seattle area (incl Bellevue, etc) are very nasty in general. They will make your life miserable. Best to avoid them - most of them are language-based groups and are very nasty or disrespectful to even the rest of Indians and rest of World. For example, there is a "Krishna" temple; it is fully taken over by gangs of Telugus - they are worst of all Indians.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Since the more recent 2017 posts, here in Sammamish the population has become 37% Asian, most people from India. Contrary to much of this thread, we have found them to be among the friendliest and most helpful residents to come here. We have not really met the Indian family that moved in across the street just after the quarantine but when we drive by or see them in the yard they always wave. The Indian family next door has been there close to a year, and we chat to them all the time. In fact we already know them better than the white family before them that was there for our first 24 years here. When I was ill the husband/father even brought us food and did some pruning of my shrubs in front that were intruding on the street parking area. From those I have met most are working at Amazon, have 2-3 kids and are anxious to assimilate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area