Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 12:40 AM

84 posts, read 297,878 times

Advertisements

Okay.. I'm going to start a "silly" thread so please do not respond or post if you think just reading this is a waste of your time. My family and I are planning to relocate to Seattle from California (I know.. you guys probably don't want another Cali transplant but we promise to behave when we get there! And that includes not complaining -in public- about the weather!). Among alot of big concerns about making such a big interstate move and change in our lives, I have a tiny quasi-concern that I don't know is even something to think about. Both my boys coincidentally have names that are the same as a couple of Seattle cities. We actually named them without even knowing anything about Seattle or Washington so WA is definitely not the reason why we named them what we did. One is named Mercer and the other is named Everett. My "silly" question is this; will they be made fun of, mistreated, bullied, chastised, etc. once we do move there? Kids can be cruel so I have wondered about this since we've decided to move there. I know that any kids named "Compton" or "Santa Ana" would definitely have a hard time growing up in LA/OC.. at least IMO. What do you think it would be like for them with these names (that we had thought were beautiful that's why we named them this way) to grow up in Seattle, near if not in these very cities?? Thanks for any advice you may have and also thanks for not flaming me for asking something so "silly"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 01:05 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Nobody will even associate your kids names with the nearby cities.Nothing to worry about. Just don't name your next child " Federal Way".

Old 07-08-2008, 01:28 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
If Ira500 sez so, then that's what will be. He knows! Not to worry.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:16 PM

151 posts, read 525,571 times
Very interesting similarity between your family and mine! My mum told me that all her kids were named after the places they were created. My sister's name is Paris, my brother's named Austin and my name's Volvo. Why is this?

Old 07-08-2008, 03:18 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Ba-dum-ching!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Nobody will even associate your kids names with the nearby cities.Nothing to worry about. Just don't name your next child " Federal Way".

why? is Federal Way a bad city? But funny you should mention the name of a possible third child. We were planning on naming him (if it's a boy) Kent or Kenton! Yes, once again this is before we knew anything about Washington or its cities. See, my kids are interracial Asian Caucasian mix and I'm just afraid they'll come home black and blue instead! They weren't named after the cities in Washington but if we move there, maybe we should fib and just tell people they were.. maybe then they won't get beaten up? LOL... oh well. I guess we'll prepare by getting them karate lessons.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
Very interesting similarity between your family and mine! My mum told me that all her kids were named after the places they were created. My sister's name is Paris, my brother's named Austin and my name's Volvo. Why is this?

yes, but Volvo is a way better name than "Motel 6" ... hehe

Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
No, Federal Way is not a bad city, just kind of characterless and full of traffic.
You do know there is a Kent, Washingon, and a Renton, Washington so Kenton would be combining these two fine cities.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
No, Federal Way is not a bad city, just kind of characterless and full of traffic.
You do know there is a Kent, Washingon, and a Renton, Washington so Kenton would be combining these two fine cities.

I know. That's what I was referring to. With one kid with a name like a WA city people may not notice too much. With two kids with names similar to WA cities, people may possibly still consider it a fluke.. If we have three kids with names similar to WA cities.. people will be convinced we're freaks. (sigh) oh well. Thank goodness the PNW is known to be a bit more tolerant/liberal than the rest of the USA.. I will make sure they earn their black belts just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area